Rumor: Teams interested in Koskinen?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Kuemper for Koskinen and 19th OA.
The Oilers would hold out for less and risk going into the ED as is with Koskinen. Can you guys do the same? Every sample Expansion I have seen has you losing one of those 2 goalies.

My counter last minute would be:

Koskinen(1 million retain)
Cooper Marody
the 2022-2nd if we don't give it up for Keith or 2023-2nd.

This is a 2nd a b-prospect similar to the graves deal with a backup goalie that Seattle won't likely pick.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
How can a team possibly be interested in Koskinen?
I’m not a Koskinen fan, I really hated his play last year, but I do think he is finished as an Oiler and I also feel he will a goalie that when he goes to a new team that will have the most potential to make Oiler fans mad. In that he will probably play well and do well elsewhere.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Retain 50% and I think a bunch of teams would love to have him for their taxi squad.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Isn't Jason Gregor the guy who said no chance the oilers trade a pick and a young player for Duncan Keith
vKUUqdK.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Buy him out and the Oilers have a $1.5M cap hit for the next two years.... or talk someone into taking him off your hands with the promise that you will retain a portion of his $4.5M salary for the next year. A buyout gives Holland a savings of $3m of cap space this year along with a $1.5M cap hit and just a $1.5M cap hit next year (no cap savings).
Do you think Holland will be able to talk someone into taking Koskinen with the Oilers retaining $1.5M thus giving Holland the same $3M savings this year that a buyout gives him? I don't.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I guess?

I mean he has better stats than Freddy Andersen this past season (who played under a top-7 D according to Leaf fans) and Korpisalo, Murray, Holtby, Hutton.

At least it's one year remaining so it's not Earth-shattering bad... like Holtby (who had a worse year and has same-ish cap)

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I guess?

I mean he has better stats than Freddy Andersen this past season (who played under a top-7 D according to Leaf fans) and Korpisalo, Murray, Holtby, Hutton.

At least it's one year remaining so it's not Earth-shattering bad... like Holtby (who had a worse year and has same-ish cap)

...serious question; you'd take Koskinen over Holtby??...:dunno:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Isn't Jason Gregor the guy who said no chance the oilers trade a pick and a young player for Duncan Keith

He's also the guy who believed a troll tweet that the Oilers signed Hoffman and tweeted about it as if he had a source.

Reactions: Del Preston

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Koskinen is only 1 year so the Oilers are not going to bend over backwards to move him. They'd likely retain and get minimal return.

The rumor sounds like teams have genuine interest and would like to give him a shot. He had good stats at one time. A similar position to what Talbot was here.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
...serious question; you'd take Koskinen over Holtby??...:dunno:

Holtby's been bad for 2 seasons now. Yes.

Kosko had a decent 19-20 season (previous season) where the Oilers were second in their division and average in terms of goals against. Holtby has been a turd for a while.

I think Kosko is overpaid by $2.5M/yr. Buying him out and signing a backup... pretty much doesn't save that much cap.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He's also the guy who believed a troll tweet that the Oilers signed Hoffman and tweeted about it as if he had a source.
Heatley 2009, Neal/Lucic 2019, Hoffman last year, Keith this year

Best part is he always doubles down right before he's proven wrong.

Reactions: Llamamoto

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Holtby's been bad for 2 seasons now. Yes.

Kosko had a decent 19-20 season (previous season) where the Oilers were second in their division and average in terms of goals against. Holtby has been a turd for a while.

I think Kosko is overpaid by $2.5M/yr. Buying him out and signing a backup... pretty much doesn't save that much cap.

...I've never liked Holtby, even when he was supposedly good, but he's still a level above Mikko Damn-It's-In...he was another level of bad last year and he turns 33 in two days, so he's not gonna get any better, only worse...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This will be Koskinen & a 2021 6th for a 2021 5th kind of deal with Edmonton retention.

I wouldn't expect much.
Edmonton would take that and run. The Oilers play like the 1977 Canadiens when Koskinen is on the bench.

Since January 1, 2020...

Mike Smith: 33-9-6
Mikko Koskinen: 17-18-1

He's unplayable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad