WC: TEAM USA

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
This joke of a roster the US sent to this tourney just to comply sweeps the Europeam teams and takes the top spot of the group. What an embarrassment for the European hockey.
Congrats. Maybe you guys will make it to the finals for the first time ever! Rooting for ya ;)

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
Hey, we are the 1933 World Champs!
1960 also, but the playoffs didnt exist in this form back then ^^

Somehow its a pretty absurd stat that 1960 is also the last time USA was top 2 in an IIHF World Championship. Maybe this ragtag team could finally break the curse.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Somehow its a pretty absurd stat that 1960 is also the last time USA was top 2 in an IIHF World Championship. Maybe this ragtag team could finally break the curse.
1960 was in the Olympics, which I guess back then doubled up as counting for the IIHF World Championship.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Swedes are going to Riga tho. If that would have been the case for Team USA even they won their group, I would say that I rather take Czechs.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Right on cue, Latvia wins and USA will face Czechia in the Quarters.

USA is just cursed in this tournament. Top overall spot in the seedings and get a path that looks like Czechia-Canada (if they get by Czechia) to make the Final. Unbelievable. Meanwhile Sweden gets rewarded for a losing with a path that looks like Latvia-Switzerland.

You’re complaining about this happening to the US?

C9D9E5AB-8E9B-4598-AA4D-D98F9CD4ECE8.jpeg
D66E15E3-9486-4CE6-9D8B-58519A3234B7.jpeg
7EDDF14B-A295-4555-8A5A-F58A416BD936.jpeg
2BE4E00D-9025-459E-9421-5EDEA1826FDD.jpeg
7D130EE2-E571-4311-A5FB-C8EAD0C84A83.jpeg

I don’t know, I guess you should have lost more game then.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA

I've heard that about some of our previous "ragtag" teams...and they finished about as well as our more talented rosters.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Swedes are going to Riga tho. If that would have been the case for Team USA even they won their group, I would say that I rather take Czechs.
Yes. Latvia was guaranteed to play in Riga if they advanced.

I think mathematically, I'd take Latvia in Riga over the Czechs in Tampere. But it is what it is.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If the US wins gold I wonder how much attention it will get even in the hockey media back home? Only the die hards are aware the tournament exists.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
If the US wins gold I wonder how much attention it will get even in the hockey media back home? Only the die hards are aware the tournament exists.
Thank you for bringing up a NEW (full sarcasm) point about a hockey tournament going on during the NBA, NHL playoffs, and all the while, MLB being in full swing.

Quite aware, US hockey playing well at the worlds, this time of year, won't register on the mother ship ESPN. Got anything else new and exciting for us ?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's hard to say since the USA hasn't even made a final in a long time. Usually a Gold Medal Game gets at least some attention back home, but I have no frame of reference. The short turnaround between Semis and Final (with it being next day) doesn't help things much, as there isn't a full day off to build some hype for it.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Thank you for bringing up a NEW (full sarcasm) point about a hockey tournament going on during the NBA, NHL playoffs, and all the while, MLB being in full swing.

Quite aware, US hockey playing well at the worlds, this time of year, won't register on the mother ship ESPN. Got anything else new and exciting for us ?
Yes. I would be shocked if it was mentioned on ESPN. Would the NHL give it any recongnition though?

Reactions: Breeze 44

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
How has Carter Mazur looked? I see he keeps chipping in here and there. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't watched one game 😕

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How has Carter Mazur looked? I see he keeps chipping in here and there. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't watched one game 😕

I think he's been consistently one of the best forwards. With a bit more luck he'd have closer to double his point total as he's hit quite a few posts. He's been all over the ice harassing the opposition, causing havoc on the forecheck and in front of the opposing net, and providing excellent board work.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Can't argue with the preliminary results, but this team is playing with matches in one hand while juggling a gasoline can in the other.

This appears to be among the least talented WC in years - a perfect opportunity for a young, fast team to surprise. Find some consistency and they can easily medal.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Coronato and a goal being taken away in the 3rd period by a coaches challenge… name a more icon duo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad