Team USA announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
Who do you think will be the main offensive gun for each team ? Is Schremp the guy for the U.S and can Crosby dominate this year like he can in the chl or is it still too much to ask? My thinking is he still won't be put in a position to dominate as i think Canada will roll their lines too much.Of course he may be able to rack em up hard on the PP.

I think O'Sullivan and Schremp will be key for the U.S., but a guy that many Canadians might not know alot about but IMO will be a key player is T.J. Hensick. He's small but has sick offensive ability.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think O'Sullivan and Schremp will be key for the U.S., but a guy that many Canadians might not know alot about but IMO will be a key player is T.J. Hensick. He's small but has sick offensive ability.
I've heard about him for sure,never seen him play.How slick is he? Mostly playmaking or can he snipe too? What about his skating....is he just quick, super fast or both? Who does he play like that he reminds you of? I'll be keeping an eye out for him once the games start.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Canadians (most) commenting on the NCAA is like me commenting on the CHL. There just isn't a frame of reference. I take people like Pepper's comments with a grain-of-salt. :dunce:

Well I can say the same for you, whenever there's an american player involved you're so completely biased & unobjective that even Ott=Snott would cringe.

So despite you being able to see those players more, you're opinions are just as worthy because of your red-white-blue glasses.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
No need to get offended, it was my personal opinion. I'm basing my opionions on various reports I've seen about these guys. To me you got 2 very skilled players in Schremp & O'Sullivan, ok so they might have problems with other aspects of the game but they can put up the points. Guys like Fritsche etc. well they just don't impress me much.

Btw, I've noticed that you're extremely biased when anything american is criticized, whenever we have a issue like this it's you who's the most agitated and very often resort to getting personal. Just an observation, you need to take others opinions even though you might not disagree with them.

How have I made any of this personal? I get agitated because people like you, who know very little about most of the U.S. players, are making sweeping generalizations that are based on second hand information or hearsay. I do have a problem with that and am not going to be shy about voicing my displeasure.

Reilly311

Pepper said:
Btw, I've noticed that you're extremely biased when anything american is criticized, whenever we have a issue like this it's you who's the most agitated and very often resort to getting personal. Just an observation, you need to take others opinions even though you might not disagree with them.

Well, you're saying a team that won the gold medal doesn't have any skill. Do you expect people to agree with you?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
I've heard about him for sure,never seen him play.How slick is he? Mostly playmaking or can he snipe too? What about his skating....is he just quick, super fast or both? Who does he play like that he reminds you of? I'll be keeping an eye out for him once the games start.

Honestly, he reminds me of Martin St.Louis.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
Well I can say the same for you, whenever there's an american player involved you're so completely biased & unobjective that even Ott=Snott would cringe.

So despite you being able to see those players more, you're opinions are just as worthy because of your red-white-blue glasses.

Really? I guess you missed my comments in this thread where I stated that most of the players that will be on the Canadian WJC team are more prestigious and better pro prospects then their American counterparts and that Canada is the superior overall team and should be the favorite.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
cyclops said:
Who do you think will be the main offensive gun for each team ? Is Schremp the guy for the U.S and can Crosby dominate this year like he can in the chl or is it still too much to ask? My thinking is he still won't be put in a position to dominate as i think Canada will roll their lines too much.Of course he may be able to rack em up hard on the PP.

I think you are right about Crosby and Canada. They will roll the lines, whoever is hot that game gets the ice time. This could favor the guys who never stop and play a solid two-way game but the difference is that unlike last year, I think Crosby will be given a better chance to contribute.

As for USA, lots of pure skill. Wow, pick a name out of a hat! O'Sullivan, Schremp are probably the most talented offensively but Hensick is awesome with his combination of skill and very decent grit.

Some of their best players could be well-rounded guys like Stafford, Fritsche. Pineault is a darkhorse to do really well offensively, IMO. Everybody I talk to is praising him, including friends and also our own Matt MacInnis.

I have to think right now O'Sullivan is the best bet to lead them in scoring.

For Canada, it's once again pretty difficult. But I wouldn't be surprised if after a game or two, Crosby started doing really well steadily and racking up points. I don't think he's going to be Canada's most important player, but I think he could end up the leading scorer depending on linemates. Look also for Mike Richards to have a great tournament in every area, perhaps scoring a good share of points. Really, it could be anyone. Also keep an eye on the duos. Fehr/Stone if they play together. Ladd/Getzlaf. The chemistry card is not to be neglected, IMO. It's not a sure thing but it helps. One of these duos could win games early on in the tournament and become less of a factor as things progress.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
any chance we see fritsche centering pineault? as a cbj fan i would love to see that, even though i think pineault will be a center for the cbj. hes a big kid who can really skate and shoot the puck. he will surprise people. most forget about him as being a top talent cause he got lost at bc and was only drafted in the second.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Wow, some really interesting stuff posted here.

Ok, my two cents.....

I, like so many of you here, was surprised that Jack Johnson was left off the team. I WASN'T surprised that Thelen was. He's been off to a horrendous start for MSU, so bad in fact, Coach Comley benched his butt last weekend vs. BGSU for taking too darn many boneheaded penalties.

I thought Brian Lee was interesting choice. I'm looking forward to seeing how does.

Many of the other players, don't really surprise me much. I've already seen all of the current NCAA players on the roster play this season (and last season as well, of those who played), some more than others. They're all very good players in their own right and bring some quality to the table.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
someone post some stuff on Lee.

Well I can't give you much, but this is what I've got:

He's (verbally) committed to North Dakota. Will probably be there in the fall of '05 unless he decides to go the USHL route first.

He's currently a senior at Moorhead HS in Minnesota. He currently leads his team's defensemen in scoring with 8 points (four goals, four assists). Last season, he amassed 46 points (9 goals, 37 assists).

Reilly311

Oilers Chick said:

He's (verbally) committed to North Dakota. Will probably be there in the fall of '05 unless he decides to go the USHL route first.

He's currently a senior at Moorhead HS in Minnesota. He currently leads his team's defensemen in scoring with 8 points (four goals, four assists). Last season, he amassed 46 points (9 goals, 37 assists).

perhaps you could enlighten us all on his size/speed/strength/skating etc....?

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:

He officially signed with Nodak in the most recent signing period:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhockey/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3360

He has been the staple of Team USA's defense both at this summers U-18 tourny, and at the previous summers U-17 tourny in Slovakia.

He was one of a small number of players to play in both tournaments.

Has been hailed as (at least) a second round pick since last season.

Can't add much else since I haven't seen him in person. But going off scouting reports he is average sized (about 6'2) and plays a strong game both offensively and defensively, plays a similar game to Jack Johnson in that he does all things well, and they are both similarly sized, I guess it just came down to who coach Sandelin liked more, judging by scouting reports Lee has yet to master the physical game, which makes you wonder why Johnson didn't have the edge on him, since by all accounts he can bang.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. brass has mentioned repeatedly that one of the key criteria in it's selction process was finding players who utilize their teammates well. That's Bourque's game, he's a playmaker. I'm not surprised he was named.
Hennessy is every bit as much the playmaker as Bourque. I am miffed, I will not lie, but TeamUSA proved they were doing something right last year, so we'll wait and see. I don't think our team will have trouble with offense, but there is no doubt in my mind with Hennessy, the team would be a greater threat offensively.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Johnson had two goals tonight. I can't believe he didn't make the team.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
nomorekids said:
some minor surprises. best goaltending in the tournament, but the lower half of the defense makes me worry. top two lines are as strong as last year, if not stronger, but the lower two might not be as good. glad to see schremp and pineault named.
Agreed on all parts. The Goaltending is the best in the tourney by a country mile, but their problem lies with their defense. That defense is extra thin after Ryan Suter.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Honestly, he reminds me of Martin St.Louis.
That's good enough for me.If he plays like him and has that type of game he must be dangerous.I'll be watching him closely when the games get on.

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I think you are right about Crosby and Canada. They will roll the lines, whoever is hot that game gets the ice time. This could favor the guys who never stop and play a solid two-way game but the difference is that unlike last year, I think Crosby will be given a better chance to contribute.

As for USA, lots of pure skill. Wow, pick a name out of a hat! O'Sullivan, Schremp are probably the most talented offensively but Hensick is awesome with his combination of skill and very decent grit.

Some of their best players could be well-rounded guys like Stafford, Fritsche. Pineault is a darkhorse to do really well offensively, IMO. Everybody I talk to is praising him, including friends and also our own Matt MacInnis.

I have to think right now O'Sullivan is the best bet to lead them in scoring.

For Canada, it's once again pretty difficult. But I wouldn't be surprised if after a game or two, Crosby started doing really well steadily and racking up points. I don't think he's going to be Canada's most important player, but I think he could end up the leading scorer depending on linemates. Look also for Mike Richards to have a great tournament in every area, perhaps scoring a good share of points. Really, it could be anyone. Also keep an eye on the duos. Fehr/Stone if they play together. Ladd/Getzlaf. The chemistry card is not to be neglected, IMO. It's not a sure thing but it helps. One of these duos could win games early on in the tournament and become less of a factor as things progress.
Good read there i think.I still don't see Crosby doing anything like dominating this year either but agree with you that he will be given a bigger role this year and if he get's hot in even just one game then...........who knows.
At the summer camp it sure looked like sutter is looking for him to play a key role as he had him out there all the time on pp's and other situations. For me Crosby has to show Sutter he can play a responsible two way game and then he'll show a lot of confidence in him and start to increase his ice time and that's what a guy like that needs,once he gets the groove going players like him start to shine.But imo he'll have to do it early so he can get on that roll.I think he's much better prepared to do it this year as when i've watched him play this year it seems like the guys defense has improved a lot,it's up to him to break out this year,he has the talent to do it.
I like Richards a ton also and think he will be one of our top players for sure...just a good smart player who comes to play,he's the last guy i worry about. Yep,for the U.S pick a name out of the hat,lot's of speed and talent up front.O'Sullivan is a good pick to lead them but i'll go out on a hunch and pick Schremp,aside from the fact he's really gifted everything just seems to be falling in place for him this year and i just like the intangibles he has going for him this year,it's just a hunch of course but i just get a funny feeling about him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
Johnson had two goals tonight. I can't believe he didn't make the team.

I don't understand it either. I'd really like to ask Sandelin et al about why Lee was chosen over him.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't understand it either. I'd really like to ask Sandelin et al about why Lee was chosen over him.

I think that someone or some group within USA Hockey really likes Lee. They broke their own rules this summer by putting him on the U18 select team despite him not participating in the select festival. Sandelin either took their word for it or agreed with them after seeing him play. I'm excited to see what he's all about but I'm still surprised they couldn't find room for Johnson.

The defense just doesn't look as strong as I thought it would a month ago.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I think that someone or some group within USA Hockey really likes Lee. They broke their own rules this summer by putting him on the U18 select team despite him not participating in the select festival. Sandelin either took their word for it or agreed with them after seeing him play. I'm excited to see what he's all about but I'm still surprised they couldn't find room for Johnson.

The defense just doesn't look as strong as I thought it would a month ago.

Well, the only changes I would have made is finding room for Lashoff and/or Johnson. It was always going to be a smaller, finesse oriented group. The problem I have with Lee's inclusion is I doubt he's going to be a differance maker this year. He's probably along for the ride to get experience, while Johnson, despite his youth could have played a role at least equal to Ryan Suter's 1st year at the WJC's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I sent an e-mail to Coach Sandelin asking him to explain the decision to name Lee to the team while leaving our boy on the outside looking in. ;)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, the only changes I would have made is finding room for Lashoff and/or Johnson. It was always going to be a smaller, finesse oriented group. The problem I have with Lee's inclusion is I doubt he's going to be a differance maker this year. He's probably along for the ride to get experience, while Johnson, despite his youth could have played a role at least equal to Ryan Suter's 1st year at the WJC's.

I think the problem is that few of the defensemen have improved from last season. Likens and Hunwick aren't much better than they were last year. Lashoff missed too much time to get into a groove. Macias has started off really poorly. I haven't heard a thing about Grant Lewis. Who would have guessed Thelen would have played so poorly after what he acheived last year?

OTOH, Goligoski has been a very nice surprise. If he plays the way he has been playing for the Gophers he'll be a real contributer.

Rabid Ranger said:
I sent an e-mail to Coach Sandelin asking him to explain the decision to name Lee to the team while leaving our boy on the outside looking in.

It will be interesting to hear what he says. That is, if he says anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad