Rob Schremp (EDM)
Chris Bourque (WSH)
Kevin Porter (PHX)
Phil Kessel
Shawn Weller (OTT)

Last edited:

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Were Thelen and Johnson expected to make the team? Has Nashville released Suter?

smileymcadam

Feb 11, 2003
A happy place
Visit site
Seachd said:
Goalies

Alvaro Montoya (NYR)
Cory Schneider (VAN)

Defense

Ryan Suter (NSH)
Jeff Likens
Matt Hunwick (BOS)
Nate Hagemo
Alex Goligoski (PIT)
Casey Borer (CAR)

Forwards

Dan Fritsche (CBJ)
Patrick O'Sullivan (MIN)
Drew Stafford (BUF)
Jake Dowell (CHI)
Adam Pineault (CBJ)
Ryan Callahan (NYR)
Mike Brown (VAN)
T.J. Hensick
Rob Schremp (EDM)
Chris Bourque (WSH)
Kevin Porter (PHX)
Phil Kessel
Brian Lee
Shawn Weller (OTT)

Just a small note, Brian Lee should be listed with the defencemen.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
some minor surprises. best goaltending in the tournament, but the lower half of the defense makes me worry. top two lines are as strong as last year, if not stronger, but the lower two might not be as good. glad to see schremp and pineault named.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Not enough Californians on the team. Hockey USA is dividing this fine land, and I move we don't cheer for them this year!

Err...

On a serious note, very good looking team. As a fan of team Canada, Russia and the US scare me this year, particularly the US with Montoya in nets.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sveiglar said:
Were Thelen and Johnson expected to make the team? Has Nashville released Suter?

Thelen was questionable because of his poor start with Michican St, Johnson being left off is a surprise, especially with Brian Lee being named. Suter has been released to play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
some minor surprises. best goaltending in the tournament, but the lower half of the defense makes me worry. top two lines are as strong as last year, if not stronger, but the lower two might not be as good. glad to see schremp and pineault named.

I agree about the goaltending. As for the defense, it looks like the U.S. brass went for a group that is going to finesse the puck out of their zone. The only question mark I have is Lee, as Goligoski and Hagemo absolutely deserve to be on the team. Borer is a stay-at-home type, so I don't really question his inclusion either. The forward group is very strong, with IMO Kessel here for the experience, I expect him to be the 13th skater. Very fast, with a ton of skill and some grit to boot. I think alot of people who aren't familiar with the college game will be surprised by some of these players, in particular a guy like Weller.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hossa said:
No Robbie Earl. Kind of surprising.

I'm surprised, although I wonder if the U.S. brass had some questions about Earl's ability to use his teammates? That seemed to be a central theme with their selection process, and was one of the reasons Schremp was a question mark for a long time.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I wonder what made them choose Lee over Johnson on defence? There both young (17) and it must be difficult to accurately measure Lee's defensive abilities, while he's competeing against highschoolers.

I think Bobby Ryan could have been an impact player for the US, his size and strength along the boards and in front of the net could've helped the States down low. I guess his skating on the big ice would have been a bit of a down fall.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Seachd said:
Goalies

Alvaro Montoya (NYR)
Cory Schneider (VAN)

Could be one of the strongest goalie tandems in the tourney...although we know Schneider will see very little ice time.
Defense

Ryan Suter (NSH)
Jeff Likens
Matt Hunwick (BOS)
Nate Hagemo
Alex Goligoski (PIT)
Casey Borer (CAR)
Brian Lee

Not an overly impressive batch of d-men. Thelen should have, IMO, been added but then again when you have the goalies that they do they will be playing a more offensive style anyways.
Forwards

Dan Fritsche (CBJ)
Patrick O'Sullivan (MIN)
Drew Stafford (BUF)
Jake Dowell (CHI)
Adam Pineault (CBJ)
Ryan Callahan (NYR)
Mike Brown (VAN)
T.J. Hensick
Rob Schremp (EDM)
Chris Bourque (WSH)
Kevin Porter (PHX)
Phil Kessel
Shawn Weller (OTT)

Good group of forwards who will score a lot of goals but might get knocked around a bit. I love the addition of Chris Bourque and Mike Brown.

s

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Thelen was questionable because of his poor start with Michican St, Johnson being left off is a surprise, especially with Brian Lee being named. Suter has been released to play.
Johnson being left off is unbelieveable! No disrespect to anyone, just amazing. This team might have huge issues with a Sutter coached Canadian team. Not sure the US D can match up with our big forwards. Looks like th Defence is all Minnesota and Wisconsin with the lone exception of Hunwick. I still like Canada and Russia. Doubt this US team will medal. Just my personal prediction

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Hab Fan said:
Johnson being left off is unbelieveable! No disrespect to anyone, just amazing. This team might have huge issues with a Sutter coached Canadian team. Not sure the US D can match up with our big forwards. Looks like th Defence is all Minnesota and Wisconsin with the lone exception of Hunwick. I still like Canada and Russia. Doubt this US team will medal. Just my personal prediction

that's a pretty bold prediction, because to me...canada doesn't look as good as last year, and the US looks just about the same.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hab Fan said:

The U.S. had a similar defense last year and we did just fine. You don't have to be a beast to play well against larger opponents. On a positive note, the U.S. retains one of the qualities that got us a gold medal last year, and that is a ton of team speed. This team is lightning quick across the board.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
nomorekids said:
that's a pretty bold prediction, because to me...canada doesn't look as good as last year, and the US looks just about the same.
Interesting comment. Canada has a better team, remember Crosby is one year older and had some experience, and that Sutter is coaching. He will play a grinding in you face old fashioned style of game. They will run the goalie every time and be very physical. I know the US has speed, but I saw some of these kids and I am not sure they have the moxy to go toe to toe for 60 minutes of Sutter hockey. Just one persons opinion.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Hab Fan said:
Interesting comment. Canada has a better team, remember Crosby is one year older and had some experience, and that Sutter is coaching. He will play a grinding in you face old fashioned style of game. They will run the goalie every time and be very physical. I know the US has speed, but I saw some of these kids and I am not sure they have the moxy to go toe to toe for 60 minutes of Sutter hockey. Just one persons opinion.

:shakehead...In other words, they will play dirty and/or cheap

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Chaos said:
:shakehead...In other words, they will play dirty and/or cheap
Not at all, just playoff style hockey. Remember what kind of players the Sutters were and how they coached their respective NHL teams. He gets a lot out of them. NOT dirty at all.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Hab Fan said:
Not at all, just playoff style hockey. Remember what kind of players the Sutters were and how they coached their respective NHL teams. He gets a lot out of them. NOT dirty at all.

"Run the goalie every time"....tell me, how is that not dirty? I guess Canada's strategy this year will be to take out the best goalie on each team they play, so that they can try to avoid folding like a wet paper towel in the 3rd period again ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->