Olympics: Team USA 2022

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Drew Commesso is expected to get the call in net tonight. He has played in one game to date, with a 29-save effort in an 8-0 win over host China on Thursday (Feb. 10). At 19-years-old, Commesso is the youngest American goaltender to ever play in the Olympics.

Team USA will be without defenseman Jake Sanderson, who was injured in the first period yesterday against Canada but finished the game. He is day-to-day.

GAME DAY: U.S. To Face Germany In Final Preliminary Round Game

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
They’ve got my attention. Thought they played really efficiently against Canada. Not very many mistakes and really nice pace. Only really broke down for a couple 3 minute sections: after the short handed goal, and in the middle of the second period. Other than that they were very solid. Sanderson is certainly a game changer.

I’m on board!!

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I think they could take home some hardware. Ranking them 9 out of 12 I guess seems right, but I feel after watching them they could bring home the goods. That said, I guess it's a pretty open tournament if they're 9 on the depth chart.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Slog of a game which isn't too surprising given the opponent.

Much better on faceoffs today. Winger support was noticeably improved.

Knies battled really well, especially on the backcheck and in the defensive zone.

Faber and Cooper were strong. Definitely need Sanderson back as the coaches clearly don't trust Warsofsky and he's been shaky every time he's been out there.

Germany had almost no dangerous chances in the first 50 other than their goal but they got some quality looks down the wire, especially crashing the net.

Didn't like the way we sat back and seemed content to milk a two goal lead. Our roster isn't built for that stylistically.

Bye to the QFs is huge. Onward!

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My 2 cents again.lol.

9 teams can realistically medal. Expect upsets... Expect close games.

Some of you are talking like the US team will be losing games 7-0. Expect their games (and almost all the games) to be much closer. It's the beauty of this tournament... It is quite balanced.
Quoting myself.lol.

Congrats on going undefeated. Good luck in quarters. Expect a 1 goal game!

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I admire your blind optimism and faith in the roster. I try to analyze honestly without hopes and wishes, from that perspective I don't see wins against anyone else but China. I hope you're right, everyone loves an underdog story. I don't want to rain on your parade, I just want to keep a realistic view in my own posts. I also agree that they will "do just fine", as long as "just fine" is win against China and get the young players some experience of international games on mens level.

There is no obsession with NCAA players. I'm trying to explain to you that your local NCAA star might not be very comparable to NHL veterans and world champions or olympic finalists.
You could be underestimating the level of rosters some are bringing, and the familiarity and experience of winning together some of them have. We're talking Stanley cup winners etc against non professional youth players.
Blind optimism towards non-proffesional youth players. Would love some more predictions from you.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Some of those U20 Americans pissed that tournament got cancelled. Lots of motivation as the youngest team to try for some hardware and prove the doubters wrong. As usual in single-elinination hockey tourney though, they will need a hot goaltender to win the next few games. Any idea who they'll settle on in nets to make their run? Thought all their goalies looked strong. Probably not Strauuss, just because of his lack of size??

Reactions: William H Bonney

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Some of those U20 Americans pissed that tournament got cancelled. Lots of motivation as the youngest team to try for some hardware and prove the doubters wrong. As usual in single-elinination hockey tourney though, they will need a hot goaltender to win the next few games. Any idea who they'll settle on in nets to make their run? Thought all their goalies looked strong. Probably not Strauuss, just because of his lack of size??

I don't see how you don't go with Commesso after today. The China game you could put aside as
a non event but he made some good positional saves today. That being said Mann or he will be on a short leash, especially Mann because I didn't like either goal he gave up though the second wasn't atrocious like the first.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Was Abdelkader a healthy scratch two games in a row now?

I don't see how you don't go with Commesso after today. The China game you could put aside as
a non event but he made some good positional saves today. That being said Mann or he will be on a short leash, especially Mann because I didn't like either goal he gave up though the second wasn't atrocious like the first.

Yes that first one against Canada was brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad