WC: TEAM USA 2022 Helsinki - Tampere

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I thought USA played a great game. Down two four D and it was a close game against a team who has had full lineup. USA can think that they played a great game and no raason to keep their head down.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Down to 4 D-man and only lose by a goal to the best team in the tournament. A ton to be proud of in that semi final effort, 31 minutes for Seth Jones!!

Honestly, at some point you have to accept that you get bad luck in life and all you can do is put your best effort forward.

Reactions: mattihp

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think they win that game with Megna. Having to play a forward on defense in place of a guy who's been excellent all tournament was too much. Lafferty in particular was stuck out there forever on 2 goals against and he could barely move. That doesn't happen twice in the same game with a healthier compliment of defensemen.

Swayman needed to be better. He should have stopped goals #2,4. Granted, the Finns should expect that Schmidt goal to be stopped, too.

Boldy and Hartman haven't provided the offensive juice we needed from them. Did I hear their delayed arrivals were due to Covid? Would make sense that they haven't been as noticeable as you'd expect.

At this point it just feels like we're cursed in this tournament. The craziness of our roster situation this tournament has been insane, so while on one hand it's good that they're still playing for a medal given everything that has happened, it feels like another missed opportunity in a long list of them here.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
We had relatively good teams like 2017-2019 squads. And then we had teams like last year and this one.

And still can't get past the semis. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if ****ing Denmark or Latvia made a WC final before we did.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
We had relatively good teams like 2017-2019 squads. And then we had teams like last year and this one.

And still can't get past the semis. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if ****ing Denmark and Latvia made a WC final before we did.
I think USA will eventually break the curse, but I think you will need more interest from the top guys. Its funny how close you get with these teams.. imagine if you actually had a very good team.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi

And still can't get past the semis. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if ****ing Denmark or Latvia made a WC final before we did.
What can I say, you have so much potential but don't fullfil it.. same thing every year.

Canada would be a very good example for USA to learn from at this tournament. IF you are interested.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

One more passable defenseman in this game could have been enough. The team seemed to hold together well.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Strong effort. The team ultimately suffered the fate offered by the circumstances.

Swayman wasn't the same goaltender as he was against Switzerland. Unfortunately, this team needs that kind of performance to gain a medal. The opportunity to do so is there again tomorrow.

Not sure the US should have been worried about bringing over more forwards after Merrill's injury and in light of Caleb Jones being a non-factor.

If you're down to six guys and your extra guy is one you're not even willing to license, then you're playing with fire.

This did seem like a winnable game with 6 actual Dmen back there. We'll never know.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Third medal in last four years would be great for USA Hockey. Depth is growing year after year.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
My goal for the Worlds is always simple: play a game for a medal.

obviously we did that…plus I had very low expectations for this roster….plus I had even lower expectations for our coaching….plus we had some crazy bad luck…

i should not be disappointed. But I am.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Embarrassing all-around effort today. Yes, they looked exhausted after about 25 minutes or so and all the injuries might have finally caught up, but the wheels fell off in a host of other ways today, too.

Swayman was absolute trash after being one of the primary reasons they lost in the SF. Couldn't track a puck, was bobbling every save, and let in a few stinkers.

Did someone ask Hartman to come over to do his best Austin Watson impression? He was consistently one of our worst forwards, which is not what you need out of your last-minute adds.

Quinn was thoroughly out-coached. That's not surprising as he's not a good coach, but good lord he has no idea how to make adjustments. Please, please let this be the end of Quinn with USAH. A coach who owes his entire resume to Jack Eichel going to BU. The Czechs made a ton of adjustments in the game, switching up their lines, d-pairs, goalie change, etc. and it paid dividends. Quinn did nothing. He should have pulled Swayman when the Czechs tied it at 3. He should have shortened the forward bench. He should have stopped asking the forward they had playing defense to ALSO play forward on the PK - you should be simplifying that role as much as possible, not having the guy freakin' context switching throughout the game. He should have mixed up the lines (i.e., Hartman / Boldy wasn't working). He took his timeout and that was about it.

Embarrassing by the Czechs to throw out their top PP unit at the end of the game up 3. Coach with some class.

And can we please put an end to this nonsense that American players care about this tournament like the competition? Look at the way the Czechs celebrated. And then juxtapose that against Swayman smiling in the line at the blueline after he just let in 7 goals and was one of the two primary reasons the team lost.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Embarrassing all-around effort today. Yes, they looked exhausted after about 25 minutes or so and all the injuries might have finally caught up, but the wheels fell off in a host of other ways today, too.

Swayman was absolute trash after being one of the primary reasons they lost in the SF. Couldn't track a puck, was bobbling every save, and let in a few stinkers.

Did someone ask Hartman to come over to do his best Austin Watson impression? He was consistently one of our worst forwards, which is not what you need out of your last-minute adds.

Quinn was thoroughly out-coached. That's not surprising as he's not a good coach, but good lord he has no idea how to make adjustments. Please, please let this be the end of Quinn with USAH. A coach who owes his entire resume to Jack Eichel going to BU. The Czechs made a ton of adjustments in the game, switching up their lines, d-pairs, goalie change, etc. and it paid dividends. Quinn did nothing. He should have pulled Swayman when the Czechs tied it at 3. He should have shortened the forward bench. He should have stopped asking the forward they had playing defense to ALSO play forward on the PK - you should be simplifying that role as much as possible, not having the guy freakin' context switching throughout the game. He should have mixed up the lines (i.e., Hartman / Boldy wasn't working). He took his timeout and that was about it.

Embarrassing by the Czechs to throw out their top PP unit at the end of the game up 3. Coach with some class.

And can we please put an end to this nonsense that American players care about this tournament like the competition? Look at the way the Czechs celebrated. And then juxtapose that against Swayman smiling in the line at the blueline after he just let in 7 goals and was one of the two primary reasons the team lost.

It's amazing how we could go from taking out the top seeded Swiss to an 11th straight semis loss and then this garbage 3rd period.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

The fact that he put Letteri, Hayden and Watson out there together multiple times against Finland in the semis should preclude Quinn from ever coaching a USAH team again.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

When I didn't watch the game, I just head straight for Bonney's no-punches-pulled summary. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad