WC: Team Switzerland 2022

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Malgin would make sense but he seems capable of driving the second line, so it might be better to leave him there. Hard to say who could be a good on the first line. Didn't they try Herzog already last year and it didn't work out? I'd probably try Kurashev again or even give Scherwey a try. Maybe Fischer will give the opportunity to Riat, like in the exhibition games. I think Riat played together with Nico successfully on the U20 team before, so maybe thats worth a shot.
Yeah my first thought would have been Malgin as well but he should drive his own line, does not make sense to load everything up on one line.
Kurashev, never been too impressed with him in the NT but he is a locical choice here.
Scherwey might end up similar to Bertschy, I think is better suited for a differnt role.

Maybe Ambühl could get a look.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I actually liked what I saw from the Scherwey/Kurashev/Thürkauf iine and I also think that the malgin line was clicking. Maybe switch with Ambühl, a Herzog/Corvy/Bertschy line could be pretty hard to play against. Or give Riat a try

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah my first thought would have been Malgin as well but he should drive his own line, does not make sense to load everything up on one line.
Kurashev, never been too impressed with him in the NT but he is a locical choice here.
Scherwey might end up similar to Bertschy, I think is better suited for a differnt role.

Maybe Ambühl could get a look.

I think they tried Ambühl last year too (who didn't they try?) and it wasn't horrible but they did't mix that well though. I think you are underrating Scherwey a bit. He is a physical high energy player that could support Hischier along the boards and in the corners, but he has enough hockey iq and playmaking skills to get involved in the high end offensive plays of that line. I think he is a more effective offensive player than Bertschy at the WC level, even if his stats in the NLA don't necessarily reflect that. I would give it a shot.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think they tried Ambühl last year too (who didn't they try?) and it wasn't horrible but they did't mix that well though. I think you are underrating Scherwey a bit. He is a physical high energy player that could support Hischier along the boards and in the corners, but he has enough hockey iq and playmaking skills to get involved in the high end offensive plays of that line. I think he is a more effective offensive player than Bertschy at the WC level, even if his stats in the NLA don't necessarily reflect that. I would give it a shot.
yes Scherwey certainly could work and a Bertschy with Thürkauf/Kurashev could also click, might be a win-win for everybody involved

but probably Fischer's gonna baffle us wll with an unexpected descision, according to SRF Aeschlimann might start (which i wouldn't mind)

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I'd also like to see Thürkauf and Scherwey back tomorrow, that's not a statement against Riat and Miranda but I think that the other two have more to offer right know

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, I thought the 4th line wasn't that noticeable today. The Malgin one is actually the only one that worked really well, the other two were mostly driven by Hischier and Ambühl as their linemates didn't play well. Still, this game should have ended like 5-1 if a few players had been more clinical.

Tomorrow I'd like to see Kurashev back with Thürkauf and Scherwey, but then who plays with Hischier and Meier? And where does Bertschy fit?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So, another game made more complicated than necessary in the 3rd period. I'm starting to wonder if Fischer's system excepts too much from players and the end up tired late in the game. This can't be a random trend.

About the lineup, Kurashev did well with Hischier, the issue with this line is actually Meier. He really has to wake up. Corvi and Herzog should show more as well, and Bertschy has to stop taking penalties.

And I know that you need to have a balanced defense between left and right handed, style of play and everything, but you won't convince me that one of Diaz, Alatalo or Loeffel would bring more than Fora.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that Fora decision is really strange. I'd taken Frick any minute over him. Probably even Le Coultre. Or Geering. Or Loeffel. Or Alatalo. Or Seger. :)

Meier is just one-dimensional. He's great in shooting. His hockey-IQ is mediocre at best. Good example was in the 2nd period where they had the Slovaks tired and for about 90 seconds on the ice without possibility for change and he just takes a fluke shot. Don't think he can do much better IMHO.

Corvi, Ambühl, Herzog line wasn't good today. Bertschy is so good but he just takes those stupid penalties this year. Thürkauf is here to stay and Scherwey is just a legend.

Suter turns into a very important player, his two way game is exceptional and he does so many things right. Malgin in the shape of his career.

On D Glauser is surprisingly good, he fits well with Geisser. Siegenthaler plays a strong tournament but he shouldn't take this penalty. Fora shouldn't play 2nd pair minutes. A pity Josi is not here. There isn't much to critizise on Marti and Egli. Especially Egli is pretty solid and also seems to adapt to the level better and better.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Huh?! What's with that Fora bashing?
Tought he played pretty well today, had a nice scoring chance too, played it like a forward ;)
The kneeing penalty was unlucky but he's not been one of our problems at all.
Just looked it up, he's yet to be on the ice for a goal against... leads the whole team with a +5 bilance. Solid.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Simply put, in my opinion, Fora shouldn‘t be anywhere near the national team. I just don‘t like him.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, that Fora decision is really strange. I'd taken Frick any minute over him. Probably even Le Coultre. Or Geering. Or Loeffel. Or Alatalo. Or Seger. :)

Meier is just one-dimensional. He's great in shooting. His hockey-IQ is mediocre at best. Good example was in the 2nd period where they had the Slovaks tired and for about 90 seconds on the ice without possibility for change and he just takes a fluke shot. Don't think he can do much better IMHO.

Corvi, Ambühl, Herzog line wasn't good today. Bertschy is so good but he just takes those stupid penalties this year. Thürkauf is here to stay and Scherwey is just a legend.

Suter turns into a very important player, his two way game is exceptional and he does so many things right. Malgin in the shape of his career.

On D Glauser is surprisingly good, he fits well with Geisser. Siegenthaler plays a strong tournament but he shouldn't take this penalty. Fora shouldn't play 2nd pair minutes. A pity Josi is not here. There isn't much to critizise on Marti and Egli. Especially Egli is pretty solid and also seems to adapt to the level better and better.

Frick of course, I forgot about him for some reason. I agree about the defense, Siegenthaler improved so much since last year. Marti has been growing on me, he's playing a very solid tournament after some good performances at the olympics.

The third line was carried by Ambühl yesterday, and today he didn't play as well. Corvi and Herzog haven't done well at all.

Regarding Meier, he's been way better last year and in 2018, I'm pretty sure he can offer more.

And I almost forgot... so cool to be in attendance to see Ambühl tie the record for game played at the WC.

Reactions: filip85

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Simply put, in my opinion, Fora shouldn‘t be anywhere near the national team. I just don‘t like him.
The question is whether it is his performance or the fact that he is a bianco blu that bothers you more ;)
I agree he could be easily replaced with other Ds available but today he wasn't that bad I think, the major penalty was avoidable though

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I agree that he played his best game today, but he's been mediocre earlier in the tournament and in the warmup games as well.

I really liked him back in 2018 (I wanted him on the olympic team that year) but he took a big step back since.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Well he is what he is, certainly less skilled going forward than others, but that's not his role. That role is also one of the reasons he's selected over Loeffel/Alatalo I guess. They offer more danger from the blueline but when it comes to physical presence and out-working your opponent, I'm happy to have him out there.
So yes, Fora is like the #7 or #8 and replacable pretty easily, we all knew that before, but he's done his job well so far, that's why I don't get the bashing in here now.
And after all, he's played 4 games without conceding a goal, not much more you can expect in that regard.

Overall, I'm not overly impressed by those first few games but then again, I don't need to be. They have got the maximum points so everything is fine.
And to think about the critics in here or anywhere, about sloppy wins and nervous moments, it only shows how far that team has come.
A while ago, those games against KAZ or SVK would've resulted in a loss, now we're moaning about uncomfortable wins.

The game against Canada will show us a first direction where this team is heading.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoundAndFury

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The question is whether it is his performance or the fact that he is a bianco blu that bothers you more ;)
I agree he could be easily replaced with other Ds available but today he wasn't that bad I think, the major penalty was avoidable though
Ahahah you may have a point about the biancoblu...

He just strikes me as mediocre every time I see him. He did have one very nice run in the first and deserved to have scored, but that boneheaded play near the end of the game could have cost us very dearly.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Gotta admit I was wrong, Fora played really well against Slovakia and Canada. Suter and Hischier simply incredible, and Malgin is the first Switzerland player to reach 10 points in the modern era.

Hopefully they don't do anything stupid against Germany and secure first place.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Suter is such an underrated player. Great hockey IQ and vision, good shot as well and he has been a monster on the PK the last few games. Hischier has been turning it up as well after a bit of a slow start. Our most dangerous forward offensively today and a few good plays in his own zone too. Not to mention his faceoff qualities that are crucial. Malgin on the other hand seemed a bit more contained against the physical players from canada today. Meier still looks like he is cruising sometimes but he was more involved with his linemates today.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Gotta admit I was wrong, Fora played really well against Slovakia and Canada. Suter and Hischier simply incredible, and Malgin is the first Switzerland player to reach 10 points in the modern era.

Hopefully they don't do anything stupid against Germany and secure first place.
He also has a legit chance to become all-time point scorer at one WC for Swiss. He needs five more points to pass Bibi.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Best possible team Switzerland right now?

Fiala - Hischier - Meier
Suter - Malgin - Nino
Hofmann - Kurashev - Andrighetto
Simion - Haas - Herzog

Josi - Kukan
Moser - Siegenthaler
Alatalo - Weber
Geisser - Fora

Genoni
Berra
Aeschlimann

Did not get to watch the match today unfortunately...what did i miss?
watch it in replay

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo

Fiala - Hischier - Meier
Suter - Malgin - Nino
Hofmann - Kurashev - Andrighetto
Simion - Haas - Herzog

Josi - Kukan
Moser - Siegenthaler
Alatalo - Weber
Geisser - Fora

Genoni
Berra
Aeschlimann

watch it in replay
I'd personally take Scherwey, Bertschy or Thurkauf over Herzog. Or Corvi, moving Kurashev to the Wing.
Also, Alatalo (questionably) did not make the team this time, but so far I'd say that Fischer's choices seem correct, every single defender has been very solid, so where you wrote Alatalo-Weber-Fora there are actually other 2-3 players that could arguably make the team. Same for the third goalie I would maybe pick van Pottelberghe, but it's a toss up

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think it's close to that but of course there are some debateable spots, Haas struggled this season so I would prefer Corvi, I liked what I've seen from Thürkauf and he could play center too, I could imagine that Bärtschi could become an option too once he's back in Bern with lots of ice time, in the defense some young guns could claim a spot, Herzog has a good tournament but I still have a hard time cheering for a team with this guy in it but regarding the NT there is no choice, you have to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad