WC: Team Switzerland 2022

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Never too early...

Current situation in the NHL. Kukan, Kurashev, Moser, Meier, Suter, Hischier and Siegenthaler will almost surely miss the playoffs. Question is will Kukan and Kurashev join as this is their contract year ?!

Nashville is on four game winless streak and is far from securing the playoffs, so there is a hope for Josi. Wild and Canes seems good enough to past at least one round which is enough to miss WC and in Fiala case it's his expiring contract that also could be stepping stone in joining.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Swiss unresticted free agents almost never come to the WC so I doubt Kurashev and Kukan will risk it. I think both Fiala and Nino have expiring contracts as well and would not report either. Josi would most likely come if he misses the playoffs or Nashville exists early for another chance to crown his NT career with a WC gold medal. So at least the forward group looks pretty promising if Fischer actually manages to implement the right line compositions. On defense we have to pray for Josi and to the hockey gods.

Reactions: filip85

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Swiss unresticted free agents almost never come to the WC so I doubt Kurashev and Kukan will risk it. I think both Fiala and Nino have expiring contracts as well and would not report either. Josi would most likely come if he misses the playoffs or Nashville exists early for another chance to crown his NT career with a WC gold medal. So at least the forward group looks pretty promising if Fischer actually manages to implement the right line compositions. On defense we have to pray for Josi and to the hockey gods.

I could imagine Kurashev coming, he could raise his stock with a good WC as his season is not going too well, but who knows. On D we should not forget Moser, he is looking really good early on with Arizona.

If we get Josi, Siegenthaler and Moser on D that would be huge. I agree up front we should have a nice roster.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I could imagine Kurashev coming, he could raise his stock with a good WC as his season is not going too well, but who knows. On D we should not forget Moser, he is looking really good early on with Arizona.

If we get Josi, Siegenthaler and Moser on D that would be huge. I agree up front we should have a nice roster.

He would have to play almost an alllstar level tournament to actually improve his position for contract negotiations. The WC insn't in very high regard in NA. If he gets hurt though his position will be weakened a lot. So I doubt his agent will let him do this unless Chicago isn't interested to sign him in the first place.

On D we were incredibly mistake prone at the Olympics, so Siegentahler and Moser would be more than welcome. But if you want to go for the gold medal you need Josi eating minutes and orchestrating transition and the PP. Guys like Alatalo, Fora, Frick etc. ideally shouldn't even be on the roster of a contending team.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
He would have to play almost an alllstar level tournament to actually improve his position for contract negotiations. The WC insn't in very high regard in NA. If he gets hurt though his position will be weakened a lot. So I doubt his agent will let him do this unless Chicago isn't interested to sign him in the first place.

On D we were incredibly mistake prone at the Olympics, so Siegentahler and Moser would be more than welcome. But if you want to go for the gold medal you need Josi eating minutes and orchestrating transition and the PP. Guys like Alatalo, Fora, Frick etc. ideally shouldn't even be on the roster of a contending team.

Yes you are probably right with Kurashev. I just hoped for a much better season but I guess him making the team last year was already such a surprise that we should not expect him to ever really become an impact player at that level.

Of course, we are not going far without Josi, he is the key to bigger success. A defense with him, Siegenthaler, Moser, Diaz would already make for a strong top 4, and then you can find guys that can play the bottom pair, that could really be a strength. But ultimately it will also come down to being able to score on a consistent basis, that was really weak at the Olympics.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fiala actually joined once with an expiring contract.

We shouldn't forget about Bärtschi, Geisser and to a smaller extent Berni who could be candidates as well.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

We shouldn't forget about Bärtschi, Geisser and to a smaller extent Berni who could be candidates as well.

Fiala is a bit of an exception in that regard though. Firstly it was in 2019 one year after the final against Sweden where he famously missed the golden chance to put the game away in OT. This was also the season when he was traded to Minnesota for Granlund and the GM who instigated the trade was fired soon after. Fiala had a very bad rest of the season in Minnesota and therefore had a lot to prove. Lastly he could also correct his image from being not 100% committed the NT he had at the time for refusing to play in his last U20 WC. So there were a bunch motivational factors coming together that led Fiala to his decision to play, despite him being out of a contract. This was an unusual situation that probably won't happen again soon...

For Bärtschi it would be nice to have him on the team. He has only one WC game to his name wich is a shame for a player of his talent. Geisser should be a candiate as well as you said. Berni maybe in the future but not this year...

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich

Bärtschi and Geisser have a realistic chance to play in the AHL playoffs, not sure about the timing if they would be availalbe, but if yes, they both should be on the roster. I also don't see Berni as a better choice than what we have in our league for now. His development has rather stagnated over the last 2 years (altough I have not seen him play this year to be fair - only stats watching).

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
no more hollenstein i guess. he was awful in olympics.

The 2013 silver medal team is calling wanting its players back. In all seriousness the last time Hollenstein was good on the NT Obama was still President of the US. We need to start implementing younger wingers like Schmid or maybe Heim into the team or giving Fazzini/Martschini another go.

Swissfan5411

Dec 14, 2017
Bärtschi and Geisser have a realistic chance to play in the AHL playoffs, not sure about the timing if they would be availalbe, but if yes, they both should be on the roster. I also don't see Berni as a better choice than what we have in our league for now. His development has rather stagnated over the last 2 years (altough I have not seen him play this year to be fair - only stats watching).
Stats

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
In preparation Switzerland will play

France (15.04. in Megève and 17.04. in Basel)
Germany (21.04 and 23.04 in Rosenheim)
Latvia (30.04. and 01.05. in Latvia)
Finland (05.05. in Tampere)
Sweden (07.05. in Stockholm)
Czech Republic (08.05. in Stockholm)

Vermin already opted out because he should get a child in May.
In NA nothing has changed much. Nashville is holding on a solid Wildcard-spot but is somehow inconsistent, so it may be a possibility that they're out after the first round. Meier left the last game with an injury, I hope it isn't that serious.

Keeping the next olympic games in sight I really hope Fischer is bringing in some new faces.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
In preparation Switzerland will play

France (15.04. in Megève and 17.04. in Basel)
Germany (21.04 and 23.04 in Rosenheim)
Latvia (30.04. and 01.05. in Latvia)
Finland (05.05. in Tampere)
Sweden (07.05. in Stockholm)
Czech Republic (08.05. in Stockholm)

Vermin already opted out because he should get a child in May.
In NA nothing has changed much. Nashville is holding on a solid Wildcard-spot but is somehow inconsistent, so it may be a possibility that they're out after the first round. Meier left the last game with an injury, I hope it isn't that serious.

Keeping the next olympic games in sight I really hope Fischer is bringing in some new faces.

Meier was limping of to the dressing room in the third period vs. Calgary in his second last game, I think. He already played again against Edmonton two days later. So he should be ok.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
His hattrick tonight proves that, too, yeah.

Really looking forward to see the combo Hischier/Meier again. Both had a much better year than last year and they already were good at the WC then. I really hope they can transform that shape to the national team.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
His hattrick tonight proves that, too, yeah.

Really looking forward to see the combo Hischier/Meier again. Both had a much better year than last year and they already were good at the WC then. I really hope they can transform that shape to the national team.

They looked good together in some games, especially vs the Czechs, and not so good in other games. But as you have said both players improved significantly over the last year and Hischiers playmaking and Meiers goalscoring skills just complement each other very well. It will probably be very important to find the ideal winger to complete the line. Last year Fischer couldn't find the right player and switched Nico around almost every game, greatly hindering his potential. This years forward group looks promising though, so hopefully the right guy will be found, ideally before the tournament begins.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
What do you think will Bichsel get invite ? He is highly rated prospect for the next draft, already playing in SHL. Back in 2010. Niederreiter saw some action despite not playing at senior level (WHL). I know defence is more "sensible" position than forward one for such young player, but he already should be good enough for few "garbage" minutes against FRA/ITA/KAZ.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Don't think so, D-man normally take more time to develop and especially with Draft and U20-WJC around I don't think Fischer will call him.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
David Aebischer is a very interesting player, by the way.

I used to think he was more talented than JJ Moser back when the latter was still an offensive black hole. I was always really high on his playmaking skills but haven't seen him much lately because I don't really follow Rappi. Do you think he could make the squad this year?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Always depends on who's available, but he shoots right, is smart, great hockey-IQ, can shoot. Diaz 2.0. Why not I'd say.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I used to think he was more talented than JJ Moser back when the latter was still an offensive black hole. I was always really high on his playmaking skills but haven't seen him much lately because I don't really follow Rappi. Do you think he could make the squad this year?
Yeah I always had the same impression with him, but last year really was a step back. Granted he did not get big minutes but he also didn't earn much more. I also don't really follow Rappi but I do hope he took that next step. Let's not forget he is still really young and has heaps of time, especially defenders tend to take longer to reach their ceiling.

Reactions: Speyer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad