Team Sweden U16 2022-2023

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Last edited:
Reactions: game7

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Brynäs kids got snubbed once again. Really don't see how you could pick a guy like Stenberg over Sundqvist.
Don't think thats an insane snub, but feel like you go with Sundqvist since either is not going to be a top player on this squad anyways, and the Sundqvist got way better intensity and strength that skill has not overriden yet in my opinon. But seems like they to a degree rotated to give more players chances. At least Hillström gets in this time, he has been such a snub in earlier squads.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Unless they really believe in Tahmilehto and he has decided to go full Swede internationally from now on, I don't get why you would give him one of these few and very valuable spots. Especially as the games I saw earlier this season was not so impressive that he needs to be on the team anyways, quite the opposite, although he is probably the player I have seen the least in club play aside from Boumedienne and maybe Krantz. Weird in my opinion.

While I am not as high on Wozniak as I used to be, he should be in the squad based on merit, and is a very interesting "snub" because I don't see what reason the coaching staff had for changing their opinion if they did.

Otherwise a pretty good team, I hope they take their time to craft some good lines here. Last showing was pretty pathetic(if you're allowed to say that about 15 year olds) compared to where I personally expect this age group to be, so hopefully we get more intensity this time. Interesting to see which players they play at center as well. Ekberg should be a leader in terms of play, but has not been at his best in the middle in my opinon. Gästrin is obviously playing the middle, I hope for a better preformance from him than I have seen lately. Sonestedt and Hillström should play center in my opinon, and with some really opportunistic wingers that should get good results. We'll see.

Sanz4

Feb 1, 2023
Frondell - Gästrin - Morin
Ekberg - Sonestedt - Laksonen
Novotny - Stenberg - Krantz
Klingsell - Hillström - Bräutigam
Tammilehto

Sjöström - Lindgren
Sascha - Annborn
Häggblad - Dahlqvist
Wahlund

Härenstam

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Frondell - Gästrin - Morin
Ekberg - Sonestedt - Laksonen
Novotny - Stenberg - Krantz
Klingsell - Hillström - Bräutigam
Tammilehto

Sjöström - Lindgren
Sascha - Annborn
Häggblad - Dahlqvist
Wahlund

Härenstam
I don’t think they’ll play Stenberg as a center and don’t think they’ll place Klingsell in the 4th either as they seem to be quite high on him. He’ll likely play alongside Ekberg just like the previous tourneys.

Sanz4

Feb 1, 2023
I don’t think they’ll play Stenberg as a center and don’t think they’ll place Klingsell in the 4th either as they seem to be quite high on him. He’ll likely play alongside Ekberg just like the previous tourneys.
Yeah youre right. Klingsell with Ekberg and Sonestedt can cause some damage!

I think this is a stacked squad. Especially at the wings. I want more this time from them, last tournament was really a disappointment.

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Oliwer Sjöström out, Sigge Holmgren replaces
Happy for the replacement, both for his sake and just Brynäs things. But Sjöström is a loss. Not convinced on the defence, especially since many of the forwards are also... very good at offense, lets say. Will be interesting to see these games.

Sanz4

Feb 1, 2023
3-1 win for Sweden vs Slovakia today, we controlled the first 2 periods then it seems like the slovaks took over, when looking at SOG. I only watched the first 2

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
two games in and I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed by their play, even though they’ve won. Ekberg hasn’t necessarily stuck out, a least not in 5v5. Hillström, Krantz and Morin have been the only positive surprise so far. Glad to see the first line creating some chances and capitalizing as well. Third line hasn’t performed well. I’m also a bit annoyed by Klingsell’s inability to finish his chances. He‘s probably had the most opportunities out of everyone, mainly due to him creating those opportunities, which is great. Therefore it plagues me even more that he isn’t able to follow through on them. Theo Sonestest has been invisible.

Sanz4

Feb 1, 2023
two games in and I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed by their play, even though they’ve won. Ekberg hasn’t necessarily stuck out, a least not in 5v5. Hillström, Krantz and Morin have been the only positive surprise so far. Glad to see the first line creating some chances and capitalizing as well. Third line hasn’t performed well. I’m also a bit annoyed by Klingsell’s inability to finish his chances. He‘s probably had the most opportunities out of everyone, mainly due to him creating those opportunities, which is great. Therefore it plagues me even more that he isn’t able to follow through on them. Theo Sonestest has been invisible.
Yeah, it seems like some of them is scared too shoot..

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Have not watched every single moment, and a lot of watching has been while doing other things, so by no means am I saying this is the most accurate analysis, but have to agree with post above, dissapointed despite the dubs. This swedish team is clearly the most skilled out of the 4, but I never got the feeling that there was straight up dominance in any of the games. Pace has been an issue for many in this age group, relatively speaking. I remember thinking earlier this season that this group is way more "skilled" than the 05s, but few of the players ever impress in terms of their "athlethic" prowess. Also shown in that I feel like the 5v5, especially rush offense, has been very weak for a team that based on how I have perceived the other 3 nations, they should smack.
Obviously Ekberg keeps racking up the points, and he shows how talented he is in some facets, but I had hoped for way more overall dominance in the nationals where he plays against people the same age. At this point there is no doubt that he is a winger, but even then I hope for more creation and signs that he will be a top player beyond being incredible at capitalizing on opportunities.

Klingsell does create, but man does he take some bad shots as well. Maybe that is a prize you pay for a player like him to grow, he made at least 2 riddiculous shots that bounced out of the zone on the PP just in the game against Finland as well. I know he scored to good goals as well, so I'm not whining too much, but I don't think he had a monster tournamnent. Gästrin was not terrible, but felt like a passenger with the 2 puck-dominant wingers on his line.

First line was fine. Frondell is so skilled, but the pace really hurts him at center. Laksonens agility and skill is really impressive for his size and strength, but I don't think his gamesense is as impressive. Ripping of Prospects9, but as someone who has really liked Sonestedt, this was dissapointing. Neither of his 3 wingers these games showed that they really belonged here either in my opinion. Stenberg was fine at times I guess. Agreed on the 4th line being sweet, felt like those those 3 really fought for their place. Krantz and Morin were warriors, and Hillström keeps playing good hockey as per usual.

I see why Boumedienne is on the team, he is good in the offensive zone. Since I haven't seen him in club hockey, I can't comment on him outside of these games. But not mindblowing by any strech. Overall I feel like the defence is not particuarly impressive. Dahlqvist has his role and does it pretty well. Not as many bad penalites as he takes in Brynäs. Annborn has potential. Otherwise relatively thin in comparison to the forwards.

The goalies has been pretty good. Forsberg did well his game, and has been good in club play as well. Neither has played themself out of a spot in the next event, its up to someone else to improve and leapfrog them in that case.

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
My main issue is ability to finish. IMO Sweden should have scored 7-8 goals in each game in this tournament, just based by the amount of quality scoring chances they had. Granted, I still haven't seen them play really great except maybe one game vs. Finland in "Finnkampen" earlier this season.

Trying to remember how it has been looking for other age groups at U16 level, but memory is short. I do remember the 06's looking completely awful, although they had some great speed with all their smallish forwards.

Will be interesting to see the 07's next season ... see what an off-season and extra development can do. On the brighter side, compared to Finland, Czechia and Slovakia.. the Swedes do look a lot more individually skilled.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
My main issue is ability to finish. IMO Sweden should have scored 7-8 goals in each game in this tournament, just based by the amount of quality scoring chances they had. Granted, I still haven't seen them play really great except maybe one game vs. Finland in "Finnkampen" earlier this season.

Trying to remember how it has been looking for other age groups at U16 level, but memory is short. I do remember the 06's looking completely awful, although they had some great speed with all their smallish forwards.

Will be interesting to see the 07's next season ... see what an off-season and extra development can do. On the brighter side, compared to Finland, Czechia and Slovakia.. the Swedes do look a lot more individually skilled.
idk if I would say ability to finish, more lack of trying to finish. A lot of passing, they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad