WC: Team Sweden Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Hellberg had some shaky rebounds in his last game but I still feel like it's pretty much 50/50. If Nilsson isn't playing well tomorrow I'd go back to Hellberg for the QF. But it would be better if Nilsson cemented his position now.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, they've been having pretty similar performances so far. Which is good for us in case one of them goes down or collapses.

Also, group B 3/4 placings are washes, so winning the Russia game is just a cherry on top.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
jacob de la rose? no way. he cant even produce points in ahl. he would get 25-30 points in shl.

Larsson was a 1st line center on a championship team already before he left in the SHL. Paajarvi was a 30 point winger in the SHL at the age of 18. And this was when the league was stronger than it is today. As for de la Rose, has hasn't even played in the AHL this year. You can really only judge him based on past numbers, ignoring that he took a step forward to make it to the NHL this season.

Anyway, what kind of production would you expect from the likes of Lindstrom or Klasen against the top nations in this tournament? Especially since they'd play on the 4th line with no PP time. The only thing it would lead to is our best players playing even more, as they would have to take on more PK duties.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Larsson was a 1st line center on a championship team already before he left in the SHL. Paajarvi was a 30 point winger in the SHL at the age of 18. And this was when the league was stronger than it is today. As for de la Rose, has hasn't even played in the AHL this year. You can really only judge him based on past numbers, ignoring that he took a step forward to make it to the NHL this season.

Anyway, what kind of production would you expect from the likes of Lindstrom or Klasen against the top nations in this tournament? Especially since they'd play on the 4th line with no PP time. The only thing it would lead to is our best players playing even more, as they would have to take on more PK duties.
Well, that's certainly true, but I'd honestly argue that Larsson and Pääjärvi have regressed since then. Atleast offensively, since they've mainly been used defensively. Larsson maybe hasn't ever really had the offensive instincts anyway but Pääjärvi used to be an almost one way offensive winger, but his hockey IQ hindered him from taking any real steps forcing him way down the lineup, sometimes even getting scratched, in the end making him regress as a hockey player. He still obviously has the speed and strength combo but the offensive flair and pretty good hands that he showed in juniors and his first NHL season are just completely MIA.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
grönborg and popovic is a joke.

ekholm is 5 of 5 , world class and they will waste him with wikstrand. adam larsson is 3 of 5.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Why would you break up a pairing that has played together since SHG?

they dont have any magical chemistry or anything, ekholm is better than adam larsson and should not be wasted on a 3rd pairing. the best players should play the most. dont get me wrong, adam larsson is a good player.

Don't mind him, he's one of those AB-readers

:laugh:
i prefer hockeysverige

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
they dont have any magical chemistry or anything, ekholm is better than adam larsson and should not be wasted on a 3rd pairing. the best players should play the most. dont get me wrong, adam larsson is a good player.

:laugh:
i prefer hockeysverige
In that case, stop sounding like Wennerholm/Nyström and learn from Uffe.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson has the best D on the team so far, better than three others who all are better than him on paper. That is the reason he has been playing more 5v5 than anyone.

If you are talking pre-tournament considerations then yes, Larsson would most likely be put on the 3rd pair if the same group of D were available. But mid-tournament and when playing like he is? That would be completely crazy.

Anyway, this will obviously be assessed again after (and during) each game going forward. So let's just relax and see what happens.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Good but the 2nd unit looks stronger?

That is a lot better. Somewhat equal IMO unit one has a better center and an actual shooting threat on the right side. While unit two has a better net front presence and a better QB.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Imagine having your OWN equipment! Nilsson's own glove, Arvy's sticks and Ekholms own skates. There is a big IF concerning these items.

PS. Bet Hörntand is missing something too.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Nilsson got his glove back in the end, didn't he? And Ekholm got new skates from his manufacturer so he doesn't have to skate in Gus', which was the only thing he felt was wrong at the optional practice.

Looks like Arvi's sticks are still missing, though...

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Nilsson got his glove back in the end, didn't he? And Ekholm got new skates from his manufacturer so he doesn't have to skate in Gus', which was the only thing he felt was wrong at the optional practice.

Looks like Arvi's sticks are still missing, though...

If it was possible to lose your wife on the journey over I bet the swedish players would lose 1/2.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
There's always something missing for hockeyplayers when they fly from a third world country. Nice PR for SAS as well.

I like they're trying with 4 forwards and boost up the PP lines, they're too many good forwards to justify having 2 defensemen.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
It would be extremely weird to split
OEL - Larsson now for a less balanced pairing. That said I think that pairing have gotten a tad bit overrated, they’re still very good though and there is obviously still room to grow.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Honestly, there's far less between Canada and Denmark than people think. Denmark could easily pull off an upset infront of the home crowd. Canada has McD, but let's face it, pretty much everyone else has underperformed. They can't score unless McD is on the ice and their goaltending has been atrocious as well. Now, I'd assume that they'll be more prepared for a knockout game against one of the favorites, but I prefer Canada over any of the other favorites in this tournament.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It would be extremely weird to split
OEL - Larsson now for a less balanced pairing. That said I think that pairing have gotten a tad bit overrated, they’re still very good though and there is obviously still room to grow.
I think it has been the best pair so far, maybe in the tournament. They have let in 1 EV goal in the entire tournament iirc. That being said I think Lindholm-Klingberg have also been excellent. I really cannot say anything bad about either pair.

Great stuff, hope it continues. Because now push will come to shove in a big way with Russia, Canada, etc. No more blueberry nations, and if the D's performance go south from here on it won't matter one bit that they played excellent the first part of the tournament. This is the defining moment for this team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad