WJC: Team Norway WJC 2024 roster talk

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Martin Johnsen in decent form for Storhamar in the Norwegian elite league. Good news that, before this tournament get's underway. Vesterheim / the "Mora line" will be very important for us yes, but I think Johnsen can show some great performance for our team as well especially in PP. He got injured in the first game in Div1A last year, this year I think will be different.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Martin Johnsen in decent form for Storhamar in the Norwegian elite league. Good news that, before this tournament get's underway. Vesterheim / the "Mora line" will be very important for us yes, but I think Johnsen can show some great performance for our team as well especially in PP. He got injured in the first game in Div1A last year, this year I think will be different.
ur avatar, best hockey song ever

Reactions: Heia Norge

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Team Norway have arrived in Sweden, Ulrichehamn pre-camp.

Ludvig Lafton and Mathias Dehli will arrive later, they played a u18 tournament in Slovakia where Norway, Denmark, Hungary and Slovakia paritcipated. Norway won the tournament beating Slovakia 5-4 after shootout. Mathias Dehli scored the deciding goal.

Christopher Lie(D), Malmö j20 have been accepted to NCAA and Ferris state university together with Martin Lundberg goalkeeper in Mora j20.

Two games to be played at the pre camp.

Against Germany, december 19, and Latvia december 21.

GBFSDlKWwAAmwTP

GBff_E-WMAAetvI

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I am not very familiar with this team Norway but it looks like they might make a surprise in at least one game? Quite many players have the experience from the Norwegian men's league, which isn't bad at all. They are still the underdog of the group but I wouldn't expect them to get smashed with 8-10 goals per game or so, maybe except for the game against the US.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Team Norway have arrived in Sweden, Ulrichehamn pre-camp.

Ludvig Lafton and Mathias Dehli will arrive later, they played a u18 tournament in Slovakia where Norway, Denmark, Hungary and Slovakia paritcipated. Norway won the tournament beating Slovakia 5-4 after shootout. Mathias Dehli scored the deciding goal.

Christopher Lie(D), Malmö j20 have been accepted to NCAA and Ferris state university together with Martin Lundberg goalkeeper in Mora j20.

Two games to be played at the pre camp.

Against Germany, december 19, and Latvia december 21.
According to reports, the Slovakian U18 team participating in that tournament was the Slovakian U18 B-team. Their preferred U18 roster is apparently busy with an U18 tournament in North America.
But still, I’m very impressed that our team managed to win the tournament.

I hope Lafton makes the Norwegian roster for U-20 WC.

Jumpy

Nov 27, 2022
Norway's final roster (apparently) out:

Goalies:

Martin Lundberg - Mora
Markus Røhnebæk Stensrud - Storhamar
Sebastian Aarsund - Linköping

Defenders:

Gabriel Koch - Vålerenga
Ludvig Lafton - Frisk Asker
Tobias Bjercke Larsen - Färjestad
Christopher Lie - Malmö
Mathias Papuga - Storhamar
Stian Solberg - Vålerenga
Emil Kvernmo Wasenden - Frisk Asker

Forwards:

Alieu Bah - Brynäs
Oskar Bakkevig - Malmö
Michael Brandsegg-Nygård - Mora
Patrik Dalen - Mora
Casper Haugen Evensen - Victoria Royals
Felix Granath - Frölunda
Martin Johnsen - Storhamar
Johannes Løkkeberg - West Kelowna Warriors
Kasper Magnussen - Bemidji State
Mats Bakke Olsen - Malmö
Noah Steen - Mora
Petter Vesterheim - Mora

Sander Wold - Gatineau Olympiques

Probably strongest roster Norway ever had in any U20 tourney, despite no drafted players which probably is telling. First time Norway enjoys the luxury of leaving out NCAA and USHL players for the U20. Once again lightest and shortes team in an international tournament though, despite Norwegians in general being above average in height on an international scale.

As a backdrop going into this WJC; Norway hosted the Div A last year and it payed off on the ice with promotion but resulted in an economic misery at the federation level, where all National team tourneys (barring U20) was cancelled this fall. I personally think it was a good gamble, but there are differences in opinion there. (Resulting in the head of the federation being sacked, for one.)

The U20 program of Norway is lagging the rest of the A pool when it comes to resources, and the warm up this fall sums up to an odd tourney in Denmark without the US based players against a Latvia B, Denmark and Austria. Norway stayed perfect 3-0, but doesn't say much.

They had two friendlies in Sweden where Norway beat Germany on PS and lost against Latvia 6-2 regulation, 0-2 in extra time and won PS despite equal in shots. Norway rested the top forward line, one of the top defenders and the presuamble starting goalie. Didn't see the German game, and I don't put much weitght in the Latvia game.

Norway is in a tough spot in this group, and would much rather meet Germany or Latvia. I think it will come down to keeping the scores down and the spirits up in the first two games, and they might have a shot against Slovakia and Switzerland. Much will come down to Stensrud, the small goaltender from Hamar. He seems to be a level above the rest, and can be impossible on good days at home.

Norway's top prospect Brandsegg Nygaard is still young (2024 eligeble), but there are others who might stand out. My personal favourites are Gabriel Koch, Stian Solberg and Christopher Lie from the Ds, but that's mostly because I have seen them a lot. Martin Johnsen is a favourite among the forwards, despite being close to invisible (on my screen) in the warm ups. He is > ppg in Norwegain top leauge. The first line (Steen, Vesterheim, Nygaard) could probably compete for a spot in most of these rosters, but our most productive players could maybe also be Bakkevig from Malmö. Look out for Sander Wold, who is a hell of a skater. Dysmal stats from the Q, but steadily improving and think he could be a late round draft possibility at a bottom six role. (Allthough small, as well).

12 out of 13 forwards has played or plays in Sweden, and Gothenborg is as close to home for the Norwegians as most parts of Norway. Might make a difference. My bet (wish) is that Norway ends up fourth in this group, and ends up playing Sweden in Gothenborg. If they end up last I think they should have a good shot against either Latvia or most likely Germany.

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Norway's final roster (apparently) out:

Goalies:

Martin Lundberg - Mora
Markus Røhnebæk Stensrud - Storhamar
Sebastian Aarsund - Linköping

Defenders:

Daniel Gloppen- Lørenskog
Gabriel Koch - Vålerenga
Ludvig Lafton - Frisk Asker
Tobias Bjercke Larsen - Färjestad
Christopher Lie - Malmö
Mathias Papuga - Storhamar
Stian Solberg - Vålerenga
Emil Kvernmo Wasenden - Frisk Asker

Forwards:

Alieu Bah - Brynäs
Oskar Bakkevig - Malmö
Michael Brandsegg-Nygård - Mora
Patrik Dalen - Mora
Casper Haugen Evensen - Victoria Royals
Felix Granath - Frölunda
Martin Johnsen - Storhamar
Johannes Løkkeberg - West Kelowna Warriors
Kasper Magnussen - Bemidji State
Mats Bakke Olsen - Malmö
Noah Steen - Mora
Petter Vesterheim - Mora

Sander Wold - Gatineau Olympiques

Probably strongest roster Norway ever had in any U20 tourney, despite no drafted players which probably is telling. First time Norway enjoys the luxury of leaving out NCAA and USHL players for the U20. Once again lightest and shortes team in an international tournament though, despite Norwegians in general being above average in height on an international scale.

As a backdrop going into this WJC; Norway hosted the Div A last year and it payed off on the ice with promotion but resulted in an economic misery at the federation level, where all National team tourneys (barring U20) was cancelled this fall. I personally think it was a good gamble, but there are differences in opinion there. (Resulting in the head of the federation being sacked, for one.)

The U20 program of Norway is lagging the rest of the A pool when it comes to resources, and the warm up this fall sums up to an odd tourney in Denmark without the US based players against a Latvia B, Denmark and Austria. Norway stayed perfect 3-0, but doesn't say much.

They had two friendlies in Sweden where Norway beat Germany on PS and lost against Latvia 6-2 regulation, 0-2 in extra time and won PS despite equal in shots. Norway rested the top forward line, one of the top defenders and the presuamble starting goalie. Didn't see the German game, and I don't put much weitght in the Latvia game.

Norway is in a tough spot in this group, and would much rather meet Germany or Latvia. I think it will come down to keeping the scores down and the spirits up in the first two games, and they might have a shot against Slovakia and Switzerland. Much will come down to Stensrud, the small goaltender from Hamar. He seems to be a level above the rest, and can be impossible on good days at home.

Norway's top prospect Brandsegg Nygaard is still young (2024 eligeble), but there are others who might stand out. My personal favourites are Gabriel Koch, Stian Solberg and Christopher Lie from the Ds, but that's mostly because I have seen them a lot. Martin Johnsen is a favourite among the forwards, despite being close to invisible (on my screen) in the warm ups. He is > ppg in Norwegain top leauge. The first line (Steen, Vesterheim, Nygaard) could probably compete for a spot in most of these rosters, but our most productive players could maybe also be Bakkevig from Malmö. Look out for Sander Wold, who is a hell of a skater. Dysmal stats from the Q, but steadily improving and think he could be a late round draft possibility at a bottom six role. (Allthough small, as well).

12 out of 13 forwards has played or plays in Sweden, and Gothenborg is as close to home for the Norwegians. Might make a difference. My bet (wish) is that Norway ends up fourth in this group, and ends up playing Sweden in Gothenborg. If they end up last I think they should have a good shot against either Latvia or most likely Germany.
I think you summed it up nicely.

Norway does have a decent team, Nygaard is a ray of hope for a programme that has been on a downward trend the last few years and if at least 2 or 3 of the other kids become major pro players, it will be enough to keep Norway afloat at the senior level.

I saw the Latvia game and Norway could not generate much offense despite having puck possession. There weren't a lot of scoring chances. I'm worried the depth is just not there to have a chance at beating Slovakia or Switzerland.

Note that Latvia was also resting their top line winger Mateiko, while the leading forward and the backbone of the top line Locmelis was rested for the latter half of the match after Latvia went up 5-1

Reactions: Jumpy

Jumpy

Nov 27, 2022

Norway does have a decent team, Nygaard is a ray of hope for a programme that has been on a downward trend the last few years and if at least 2 or 3 of the other kids become major pro players, it will be enough to keep Norway afloat at the senior level.

I saw the Latvia game and Norway could not generate much offense despite having puck possession. There weren't a lot of scoring chances. I'm worried the depth is just not there to have a chance at beating Slovakia or Switzerland.

Note that Latvia was also resting their top line winger Mateiko, while the leading forward and the backbone of the top line Locmelis was rested for the latter half of the match after Latvia went up 5-1
Didn't know Eriks Mateiko at eliteprospects.com. There you go. And yes, a bit worrisome that they created very little offensively. I liked the PP, but that was it. I am actually quite optimistic on behalf on Norwegian hockey though, after a long slump. Recruitment, attendance is up. A pool for both U18 and U20, for now at least.
Well, good luck Latvia. Think your destined for QF this time.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no

The topline line was resting. Steen-Vesterheim-Brandsegg Nygård. It is this line that is expected to do it for Norway. The projected 1.st goalie Stensrud was also resting, the 2.nd (Aarsund) goalie was weak, and was changed after 2.periods. Tobias Bjercke Larsen (back) was also resting, he is one of our top two backs in this roster, without him we lack size and physicality.

Norway does not have the depth to rest their whole topline, their best goalie and best back and expect to win at this level. With all the best players playing it would have been a more even game.

Latvia looks to have a good chanche to get into the QF btw. Dans Locmelis and Sandis Vilmanis might become NHL players some day, and at least good players in top european leagues.

Reactions: Jumpy

Jumpy

Nov 27, 2022

"Norway is not who we thought they were

Make no mistake, USA with all of its talent and all of its offensive firepower should have had a far better result with a far more lopsided score, but they didn’t because Norway was far better than anyone anticipated.

There are some legit NHL prospects on the roster and goaltender Markus Stensrud played out of his mind at the beginning of the game. Norway had pace, they played with jam and, at various points, were the more physical team. It was a wakeup call for an American side that was expected to steamroll Norway"

Promising start. Especially comforting to see that GK Stensrud came out of this with confidence. 1st (Mora) line looked very good. Koch & Solberg as well. Martin Johnsen looked fresh, and not surprised if he ends up as our most productive forward.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really looking forward to them playing some of the lesser teams. I’ve been really impressed by the work ethic and physical play. Really loving Brandsegg-Nygard and Solberg especially. Anyone know what Norway’s goal song is?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Really looking forward to them playing some of the lesser teams. I’ve been really impressed by the work ethic and physical play. Really loving Brandsegg-Nygard and Solberg especially. Anyone know what Norway’s goal song is?

Tomorrow (vs Switzerland) should be their biggest game of the tournament, looking forward to it. I think Norway comes out with the win.

Reactions: Blueston

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Relegation game:
With Germany's expected #1 goalie having departed right before the tournament due to illness, the door is wide open for Norway to take this all-or-nothing contest.

The German program has been fairly dreadful in do-or-die situations internationally for a number of years now (see U18 Worlds and the game against Latvia as recent program examples).

One could argue that Norway also has the bigger guns in its top 6. If they can shine, there might not be much Germany can do over 60 minutes.

All going to be about who's simply clicking better on the 4th, but on paper, it's hard to argue that Germany has an advantage, despite the surprise victory over Finland.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Relegation game:
With Germany's expected #1 goalie having departed right before the tournament due to illness, the door is wide open for Norway to take this all-or-nothing contest.

The German program has been fairly dreadful in do-or-die situations internationally for a number of years now (see U18 Worlds and the game against Latvia as recent program examples).

One could argue that Norway also has the bigger guns in its top 6. If they can shine, there might not be much Germany can do over 60 minutes.

All going to be about who's simply clicking better on the 4th, but on paper, it's hard to argue that Germany has an advantage, despite the surprise victory over Finland.
The advantage Germany have is on specials. Not much difference between Stensrud & Dietl/Bittner. Both sets of D have multiple issues at this level.

Forwards groups are both decent, neither will play much of a 4th line with this much rest. Very intriguing matchup.. Edge Germany for me as Norway's kill is dreadful.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The advantage Germany have is on specials.

Judging by Team GER's 3 PP goals against Canada, yes.

Lightning in a bottle?

They were the first special teams goals the Germans scored in this tourney.

Not much difference between Stensrud & Dietl/Bittner.

Germany better hope so. Granted, I've been surprised by how weak Stensrud was in the most recent outings, especially after the performance against the USA. There have been some real poor goals against.

But based on what Stensrud did for Norway at the D1A WJC last winter in gaining promotion as well as his past two seasons of pro play in Norway, having Stensrud in goal is a clear advantage for the Norwegians.

Both sets of D have multiple issues at this level.

Definitely. Germany will be putting Panocha and Weber out there for 25+ minutes. Gotta hope that does the trick.

But both groups have struggled.

Forwards groups are both decent, neither will play much of a 4th line with this much rest. Very intriguing matchup.. Edge Germany for me as Norway's kill is dreadful.

The power play could decide it. Certainly.

And Oswald coming back into the line-up is a plus for the Germans.

If it comes down to individual actions at 5-on-5, give me Vesterheim, Nygârd, Johnson, Wold, and Steen over any such handful of forwards on Team Germany.

But it is indeed a very intriguing match-up.

Sure wish we'd be seeing the typical Best-of-Three series.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Judging by Team GER's 3 PP goals against Canada, yes.

Lightning in a bottle?

They were the first special teams goals the Germans scored in this tourney.

Germany better hope so. Granted, I've been surprised by how weak Stensrud was in the most recent outings, especially after the performance against the USA. There have been some real poor goals against.

But based on what Stensrud did for Norway at the D1A WJC last winter in gaining promotion as well as his past two seasons of pro play in Norway, having Stensrud in goal is a clear advantage for the Norwegians.

Definitely. Germany will be putting Panocha and Weber out there for 25+ minutes. Gotta hope that does the trick.

But both groups have struggled.

The power play could decide it. Certainly.

And Oswald coming back into the line-up is a plus for the Germans.

If it comes down to individual actions at 5-on-5, give me Vesterheim, Nygârd, Johnson, Wold, and Steen over any such handful of forwards on Team Germany.

But it is indeed a very intriguing match-up.

Sure wish we'd be seeing the typical Best-of-Three series.

Stensrud got figured out. Rodwin Dionicio was asked about it during the 2nd intermission and he started laughing, then admitted they had a scouting report on Stensrud. Germany is a well coached team, they have figured that one out as well and if not, they have some time to do so.

Should be an interesting game. I think the fact that it's just one game helps Norway. The Germans are the better skaters and have the better depth. At some point during a series, Norway would have tired out the way we've seen it during most group games. Since it's just one game, this can go both ways though, especially since Norway may have a bit more elite skill on the team. Could be important who scores first.

I just think that Germany is such a well coached team that they should have the edge but like I said, this can go both ways.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Having seen all games of Norway and Germany, I'm sorry to say that Germany are the favorites.

The bookies have it at 68/32 and I agree with those odds.

Norway is the only team that has made some flawed plays in every game and you can just see the lack of depth with your own eyes. Some questionable plays being made, mental lapses and Stensrud has been very bad.

Norway still has a chance, though, that top line will be very dangerous and Granath will probably get his first point of the tournament as well.

I would expect a high scoring game with Norway losing at the end.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad