WJC: Team Norway WJC 2024 roster talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Not very likely on this team.

Next years team he might have a chanche, This years Norway u20 have a very deep forward group, with tough competition from players in Swedish j20, NCAA and Canadian jr.league
what do you think the team looks like right now, with lines?

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
what do you think the team looks like right now, with lines?
I think Markus Stensrud will be the no.1 goalie.

So
Goalie
Markus Stensrud, Storhamar
Sebastian Aarsund, (Linköping j20)

Backpairs
Stian Solberg(Vålerenga) and Christopher Lie (Malmö j20)
Gabriel Koch(Vålerenga)- Tobias Bjercke Larsen(Färjestad j20)
Emil Kvernmo Wasenden(Frisk Asker)-Liam Davidson(Mora j20)
Mathias Papuga(Storhamar)

Forwards: I think I will go for a Mora line due to chemistry.
1.line
Michael Brandsegg Nygård(Mora)
Petter Vesterheim(Mora)-
Noah Steen(Mora)
2.line
Kasper Magnussen(Bemidji State, NCAA)-
Martin Johnsen(Storhamar)-
Sander Wold(Gatineau, QMJHL)
3.line
Mats Bakke Olsen(Malmö j20)
Johannes Løkkeberg(West Kelowna Warriors, BCHL)
Oskar kind Bakkevig(Malmö j20)
4.line
Elias Straume Vatne(Färjestad j20)
Felix Granath(Frölunda j20)
Aron Jessli (Niagara uni, NCAA)

Reserves.
Hans Martin Ulvebne, Bemidji, NCAA
Alieu Bah, Brynäs j20
Lukas Finchenhagen-Mora j20

Reactions: kudla and Eye of Ra

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
yep and not only that, they have a legit good team and plays almost at home.
Decent performance today against Latvia u20- 7-2 win for Norway in three nation tournament in Denmark. Two goals from potential 1.round prospect Michael Brandsegg Nygård.

Danmarks Ishockey Union | Official Game Sheet

Stian Solberg missing in the pre camp. The team is also missing 4-5 players based in north america in NCAA and CHL that will strengthen the team in the JWC tournament.

This team should have a good chanche to at least stay in the top division.

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
Decent performance today against Latvia u20- 7-2 win for Norway in three nation tournament in Denmark. Two goals from potential 1.round prospect Michael Brandsegg Nygård.

Danmarks Ishockey Union | Official Game Sheet

Stian Solberg missing in the pre camp. The team is also missing 4-5 players based in north america in NCAA and CHL that will strengthen the team in the JWC tournament.

This team should have a good chanche to at least stay in the top division.
I think it is Latvias U18 team, not U20. Don't know why they wouldn't send their U20 team though.

StevenEllisNHL

Nov 29, 2014
1699648033068.png

Lines against latvia for those wondering

Reactions: Fjorden

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
New 7-2 win today against Denmark u20 in the pre tournament. An opponent normally at our size, but this norwegian u20 team is something extra.

Untitled Page

Pity, that we don't get a test against some better teams, as this team just roll over Div 1A teams. Could have been good learning to play against better teams.

Reactions: Realgud

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
View attachment 766264

Lines against latvia for those wondering
I think that is pretty close to how the lines will be in WC without the reinforcements from North America.

With NA players this is my guess.

1st. offensive line. "The Mora Line".
Brandsegg Nygård-Vesterheim-Steen from Mora in Swedish league.

2nd offensive line.
Mats Bakke Olsen(Malmö j20)-Martin Johnsen(Storhamar)-Oskar Bakkevig(Malmö j20)

3rd offenive line will be our guys from North America. NCAA and CHL that will bring in some extra physical play.
Kasper Magnussen(Bemidji, NCAA)-Johannes Løkkeberg(West Kelowna Warriors, BCHL)-Sander Wold(Gatineau, WHL).

4.th line is harder to guess we can rotate a bit here depending on the opponent. Probobaly gonna need som size facing a strong team USA in the first game. Smaller and speedier types against european teams.

Backs:
Stian Solberg should be a lock on this team. Emil Wasenden also. They didn't play this tournament.

Reactions: jj cale

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I think it is Latvias U18 team, not U20. Don't know why they wouldn't send their U20 team though.
Correctamundo, this was the Latvian U18 team sans the North American players, obviously. The roster naming this the Latvian U20 is completely misleading.

We did not send our U20 team because the opposition was not good enough in this tournament. Our U20 team was playing against the Polish men's team which are about to play in the elite tier in the IIHF World Champs next year and the men's teams of Estonia and Lithuania. Bigger bodies, higher speeds, etc.

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
Correctamundo, this was the Latvian U18 team sans the North American players, obviously. The roster naming this the Latvian U20 is completely misleading.

We did not send our U20 team because the opposition was not good enough in this tournament. Our U20 team was playing against the Polish men's team which are about to play in the elite tier in the IIHF World Champs next year and the men's teams of Estonia and Lithuania. Bigger bodies, higher speeds, etc.
Pretty weird thing to say that the opposition was not good enough. Think most people would say that the current Norwegian U20 squad looks at least as strong as the Latvian on paper.

Reactions: kudla and Eye of Ra

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Pretty weird thing to say that the opposition was not good enough. Think most people would say that the current Norwegian U20 squad looks at least as strong as the Latvian on paper.
The opposition consists of Div IA junior teams. What is there not to understand? We went to OT vs. Austria having 15 and 16 year olds in our top 6.

Norway has gotten the promotion, but they will not last, they've been worse than Latvia at all age levels in the last couple of years.

We are not facing 5 Norways in the WJC and we won't get to dominate against Canada, Finland or Sweden. The opponents were chosen with that same thought in mind, i.e., to see which of the kids will hold their own and generate chances against better opposition.

There is no point in having practice games against weak oppo.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Norway has gotten the promotion, but they will not last, they've been worse than Latvia at all age levels in the last couple of years.
Thats old news, this years norway is strong and miles better than Latvia, just compare the rosters

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Thats old news, this years norway is strong and miles better than Latvia, just compare the rosters
They do have a much better team this year than before, the stars have aligned and they might not even get relegated, but they will not stay up for more than 2 years in a row, that is very very unlikely.

And, no, they are not miles better than Latvia. They probably have the worst starting goalie in the tournament, their D is below average and on par with the Latvian one and they do have the Mora chemistry on their top line. Their PP will probably be pretty good, great 1st line. That does not make them into medal contenders, let's be serious here.

More importantly, we are not in the same group with them, so there's no need for a direct comparison.

The relegation battle could very well be between Germany and Slovakia.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
They do have a much better team this year than before, the stars have aligned and they might not even get relegated, but they will not stay up for more than 2 years in a row, that is very very unlikely.

And, no, they are not miles better than Latvia. They probably have the worst starting goalie in the tournament, their D is below average and on par with the Latvian one and they do have the Mora chemistry on their top line. Their PP will probably be pretty good, great 1st line. That does not make them into medal contenders, let's be serious here.

More importantly, we are not in the same group with them, so there's no need for a direct comparison.

The relegation battle could very well be between Germany and Slovakia.
As long as Russia is banned, it is a pretty decent chanche that Norway can stay in the top division for some time. Brandsegg Nygård(potential 1.round pick) and Stian Solberg(potential draft prospect) will be eligible next year as well. A decent team can be built around them.

A relegation game next year or coming years against e.g Denmark, France, Hungary. It is a good chanche they can stay up for some time.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
A norwegian top scorer now in swedish junior league j20 nationell, very rare outscoring the swedes.
Oskar Kind Bakkevig for Malmö Redhawks. Having a breakthrough now. I think he should play in our 2nd line, and also in PP. Could this be a future player for Malmö or SHL?
1700848850864.png

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
we all know about the mora trio, but this team has good depth. bakkevig and bakke olsen is top players in swedish j20 and vatne born 2006 is very good

Martin Johnsen doing great in norway mens league, Sander Wold and Kasper Magnussen not having great seasons but they are very talended

Felix Granath is a good one aswell

I think its possible bah and dalen is in over Løkkeberg and Jessli

i would include Finckenhagen aswell

the d is great, solberg, koch and wasanden already good in mens league. Bjercke Larsen, Lie and Davidson is great players in swedish j20

Last edited:

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
we all know about the mora trio, but this team has good depth. bakkevig and bakke olsen is top players in swedish j20 and vatne born 2006 is very good

Martin Johnsen doing great in norway mens league, Sander Wold and Kasper Magnussen not having great seasons but they are very talended

Felix Granath is a good one aswell

I think its possible bah and dalen is in over Løkkeberg and Jessli

i would include Finckenhagen aswell

the d is great, solberg, koch and wasanden already good in mens league. Bjercke Larsen, Lie and Davidson is great players in swedish j20
Kasper Magnussen have chosen a tough road. NCAA is a tough league for a u20 player where he plays with older players. Gonna need some time to adapt. Magnussen have also bee in a quarantine for a couple of games since he has experience from proffesional hockey in SHL.

Casper Huagen Evensen is also a player to watch for Victoria Royals in WHL. Could make the team?

Sander Wold great skater with hockey intelligence.

Løkkeberg plays in BCHL because he can't play pro hockey when he is going to play in NCAA next year. Two-way player, great physique. I can see him in a 3rd or 4th line bringing in some more physical play.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Norway's pre-camp roster released today.

Pre camp før VM

Two pre-camp games.
19 december: Norway-Germany
21 december: Norway Latvia.

After the two games a cut will be made. Likely cutting three players.

Goalkeepers (3)

Martin Lundberg - Mora j20- J20 Sweden
Markus Røhnebæk Stensrud - Storhamar-EHL
Sebastian Aarsund - Linköping j20- J20 Sweden

Backs (8)

Daniel Gloppen - Lørenskog-EHL
Gabriel Koch - Vålerenga-EHL
Ludvig Lafton - Frisk Asker-EHL
Tobias Bjercke Larsen - Färjestad j20-J20 Sweden
Christopher Lie -Malmö j20- j20 Sweden
Mathias Papuga - Ringerike-EHL
Stian Solberg - Vålerenga-EHL
Emil Kvernmo Wasenden - Frisk Asker-EHL

Forwards (15)

Alieu Bah - Brynäs j20-Sweden j20
Oskar Bakkevig - Malmö j20- Sweden j20
Michael Brandsegg-Nygård - Mora -HockeyAllsvenskan
Patrik Dalen - Mora j20- Sweden j20
Mathias Dehli - Lørenskog-EHL
Casper Haugen Evensen - Victoria Royals- WHL
Felix Granath - Frölunda j20-Sweden j20
Martin Johnsen - Storhamar-EHL
Johannes Løkkeberg - West Kelowna Warriors- BCHL
Kasper Magnussen - Bemidji State-NCAA
Mats Bakke Olsen - Malmö j20- J20 Sweden
Noah Steen - Mora-Hockeyallsvenskan
Christian Torrissen - Vålerenga-EHL
Petter Vesterheim - Mora-HockeyAllsvenskan
Sander Wold - Gatineau Olympiques-QMJHL

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Norway's pre-camp roster released today.

Pre camp før VM

Two pre-camp games.
19 december: Norway-Germany
21 december: Norway Latvia.

After the two games a cut will be made. Likely cutting three players.

Goalkeepers (3)

Martin Lundberg - Mora j20- J20 Sweden
Markus Røhnebæk Stensrud - Storhamar-EHL
Sebastian Aarsund - Linköping j20- J20 Sweden

Backs (8)

Daniel Gloppen - Lørenskog-EHL
Gabriel Koch - Vålerenga-EHL
Ludvig Lafton - Frisk Asker-EHL
Tobias Bjercke Larsen - Färjestad j20-J20 Sweden
Christopher Lie -Malmö j20- j20 Sweden
Mathias Papuga - Ringerike-EHL
Stian Solberg - Vålerenga-EHL
Emil Kvernmo Wasenden - Frisk Asker-EHL

Forwards (15)

Alieu Bah - Brynäs j20-Sweden j20
Oskar Bakkevig - Malmö j20- Sweden j20
Michael Brandsegg-Nygård - Mora -HockeyAllsvenskan
Patrik Dalen - Mora j20- Sweden j20
Mathias Dehli - Lørenskog-EHL
Casper Haugen Evensen - Victoria Royals- WHL
Felix Granath - Frölunda j20-Sweden j20
Martin Johnsen - Storhamar-EHL
Johannes Løkkeberg - West Kelowna Warriors- BCHL
Kasper Magnussen - Bemidji State-NCAA
Mats Bakke Olsen - Malmö j20- J20 Sweden
Noah Steen - Mora-Hockeyallsvenskan
Christian Torrissen - Vålerenga-EHL
Petter Vesterheim - Mora-HockeyAllsvenskan
Sander Wold - Gatineau Olympiques-QMJHL
Good choices, i would cut Evensen, Torrissen and Lafton

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Magnussen (Norway) in but his teammate Engstrom (Sweden) not likely.

Says loads about the difference in depth between the two lineups.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Magnussen (Norway) in but his teammate Engstrom (Sweden) not likely.

Says loads about the difference in depth between the two lineups.
yes that's natural that the swedes have better depth than Norway. They have 365 indoor rinks vs. Norway's 54 indoor rinks. We are a "developing country" when it comes to hockey infrastructure, sadly. Magnussen will a get a role in the 3rd or 4th line is my guess. We don't have to many players in North America so hopefully he can bring in some physical play and energy that they are very good at in NA.

But Norway have some very interesting players in their squad this year like Solberg, Brandsegg Nygård and Petter Vesterheim. Having looked at other teams rosters I think we have fair chanche to reach a quarterfinal with some luck.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
yes that's natural that the swedes have better depth than Norway. They have 365 indoor rinks vs. Norway's 54 indoor rinks. We are a "developing country" when it comes to hockey infrastructure, sadly. Magnussen will a get a role in the 3rd or 4th line is my guess. We don't have to many players in North America so hopefully he can bring in some physical play and energy that they are very good at in NA.

But Norway have some very interesting players in their squad this year like Solberg, Brandsegg Nygård and Petter Vesterheim. Having looked at other teams rosters I think we have fair chanche to reach a quarterfinal with some luck.
Any idea why Brandsegg-Nygard wasn't in Mora's lineup today? I hope he's not injured. They need him at the WJC.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Looking forward to seeing them play on a big stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3