WC: Team Norway roster wc 2022

member 305909

Norway's hockey-team is in a boring position. They really have to overachiever to make it to the quarter-finals and that happens rarely but they are also comfortably good enough not to have any worry about getting relegated.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Why not in the roster .. K.Olimb , Martinsen? Are you waiting Holm? 10 1+0 -4 in OHL Playoff, very weak stats
K.Olimb and Martinsen injured, could not play vs. Finland.
Why Holm? Norway is a very smal hockey nation, the lack of depth in quality players are unbearable.
Holm is a much better choice than some other unknown D-man from the Norwegian elite league.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Norway's hockey-team is in a boring position. They really have to overachiever to make it to the quarter-finals and that happens rarely but they are also comfortably good enough not to have any worry about getting relegated.
According to quote you made in the Finland vs. Norway thread here on HF boards on friday evning, you wished that Norway to be relegated along with Kazakhstan. If that's your opinion, that's fine. But please, take your hate for Norway somewhere else please, because In this thread we discuss our National team roster.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I'm sad to see the direction where Norwegian hockey is heading to..

Good years are in the past which is very sad

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Shouldnt olimbs play together especially 3-on-3?

Weird coaching style.

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
Norways big problem is that the players born in the 1990s (Especially the second half) are so poor compared to the ones born in the mid/late 80s. Almost none of them have become players on a good international level. I am not talking about NHL-level, but good European level (SHL, Liiga, DEL, Swiss leage etc.).

In the 1980s you have players like Zuccarello, Thoresen, Holøs, Olimb brothers, and Bonsaksen. The best players born in the 1990s is probably Rosseli Olsen, Martinsen, Haga, Haukeland and Lesund (I probably forgot some), but all of these was also born early in the 1990s. I cant think of one player born in the second half of the 90s that has become a solid international player, and that is Norways big problem right now as the players I mentioned above is getting old.

I think it will be a bit better in a few years though. There are a lot of young Norwegian players right now that I think look promising (by Norwegian standard). Hopefully players like Lilleberg, Holm, Emilio Pettersen, Granath, Øby Olsen, Bakke Olsen, Eskild Wold, Martin Johnsen etc. can develop and give us a okey NT again.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Olimb brothers always look so good in Norway NT. Im suprised they never become top players in NLA, SHL, KHL

Norways big problem is that the players born in the 1990s (Especially the second half) are so poor compared to the ones born in the mid/late 80s. Almost none of them have become players on a good international level. I am not talking about NHL-level, but good European level (SHL, Liiga, DEL, Swiss leage etc.).

In the 1980s you have players like Zuccarello, Thoresen, Holøs, Olimb brothers, and Bonsaksen. The best players born in the 1990s is probably Rosseli Olsen, Martinsen, Haga, Haukeland and Lesund (I probably forgot some), but all of these was also born early in the 1990s. I cant think of one player born in the second half of the 90s that has become a solid international player, and that is Norways big problem right now as the players I mentioned above is getting old.

I think it will be a bit better in a few years though. There are a lot of young Norwegian players right now that I think look promising (by Norwegian standard). Hopefully players like Lilleberg, Holm, Emilio Pettersen, Granath, Øby Olsen, Bakke Olsen, Eskild Wold, Martin Johnsen etc. can develop and give us a okey NT again.
I think a big problem with Norway is that send too many players to Sweden. It would be better for Norway if their players went to countries that is Stronger than Sweden for exemple USA, Canada, Finland and Russia.

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
Olimb brothers always look so good in Norway NT. Im suprised they never become top players in NLA, SHL, KHL

I think a big problem with Norway is that send too many players to Sweden. It would be better for Norway if their players went to countries that is Stronger than Sweden for exemple USA, Canada, Finland and Russia.
Yeah, the Olimb brothers + Holøs has probably been Norways most important players the last 5-7 years. Thoresen and Zuccarello has obviously been better players but they havent played that much for the NT lately, especially not Zuccarello (obviously because of NHL).

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Stop trolling, Liiga is about Allsvenskan level.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Stop trolling, Liiga is about Allsvenskan level.
Liiga is better. Finland won wc 2019 with mainly players from Liiga, that wouldn't have happened with a team of Allsvenskan players.

One other issue with Allsvenskan is also that they play on big ice (30x60 m). Players in Liiga and in Norway league FKL many teams play on smaller ice. (NHL rink and Finnish rink in Finland.) I don't think many of the allsvenskan players look comfortable on the smaller rink in their own zone. On smaller rink it takes less time before the oponent puts pressure on the puck holder and forcing them to make mistakes.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Liiga is better. Finland won wc 2019 with mainly players from Liiga, that wouldn't have happened with a team of Allsvenskan players.

One other issue with Allsvenskan is also that they play on big ice (30x60 m). Players in Liiga and in Norway league FKL many teams play on smaller ice. (NHL rink and Finnish rink in Finland.) I don't think many of the allsvenskan players look comfortable on the smaller rink in their own zone. On smaller rink it takes less time before the oponent puts pressure on the puck holder and forcing them to make mistakes.
Most of the key players on that 2019 Finland team were AHL, KHL, NLA and SHL players rather than Liiga players. They had some Liiga depth guys. 5 of their top 6 defenders (Jokiharju, Mikkola, Lindbohm, Lehtonen, Koivisto) did not play in the Liiga. Most of the big scorers up front, like Manninen, Pesonen, Rajala, were not from Liiga either. Really only Kakko of the important forwards was a Liiga player. The goalie, and best player at the worlds in 2019, was an AHL player.

I get the point about ice surface. I do not believe the general quality of the Liiga is particularly high though, compared to other big European leagues. The Liiga has declined a lot and do not have many top players anymore. The KHL and SHL are quite obviously better and I believe the NL is too. Star players in the Liiga regularly do not do as well in the SHL or even NL. I think the top Allsvenskan teams would beat quite a lot of Liiga teams. Eye of Ra claiming Norweigan players should play in Finland instead of Sweden is quite laughable considering there is no basis for the claim that Liiga is anywhere near the SHL in terms of quality. I mean SHL teams have won 6 out of 7 CL tournaments while resting players (not that only a few teams determine the quality of an entire league though).

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Most of the key players on that 2019 Finland team were AHL, KHL, NLA and SHL players rather than Liiga players. They had some Liiga depth guys. 5 of their top 6 defenders (Jokiharju, Mikkola, Lindbohm, Lehtonen, Koivisto) did not play in the Liiga. Most of the big scorers up front, like Manninen, Pesonen, Rajala, were not from Liiga either. Really only Kakko of the important forwards was a Liiga player. The goalie, and best player at the worlds in 2019, was an AHL player.

I get the point about ice surface. I do not believe the general quality of the Liiga is particularly high though, compared to other big European leagues. The Liiga has declined a lot and do not have many top players anymore. The KHL and SHL are quite obviously better and I believe the NL is too. Star players in the Liiga regularly do not do as well in the SHL or even NL. I think the top Allsvenskan teams would beat quite a lot of Liiga teams. Eye of Ra claiming Norweigan players should play in Finland instead of Sweden is quite laughable considering there is no basis for the claim that Liiga is anywhere near the SHL in terms of quality. I mean SHL teams have won 6 out of 7 CL tournaments while resting players (not that only a few teams determine the quality of an entire league though).
Always being negative about everything Finnish hockey related things like you hate everything. Liiga is not as good as it used to be but its still a very good league to play in. Its closer to SHL than you think. Definitely not better but close.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Always being negative about everything Finnish hockey related things like you hate everything. Liiga is not as good as it used to be but its still a very good league to play in. Its closer to SHL than you think. Definitely not better but close.
I'm not negative about Finnish hockey. Eye of Ra is the one being negative about Swedish hockey here and I am comparing leagues and responding to what I think is a weird claim.

Does not matter in this thread though. I think the decline of Norweigan hockey is sad to see but that their new, early 2000s born talents look promising. Lilleberg looks like a solid player, based on my limited viewings. Seems that sending him to Sweden didn't mess up his development.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm not negative about Finnish hockey.
Not to take away anything from Eye Of Ra's negativity but saying Liiga is Allsvenskan level is also being negative, to say the least. Liiga and Allsvenskan overlap is top-4 teams.

Reactions: FinPanda

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Allsvenskan is on par with the Norwegian league these days.
Behave. The best Norweigan teams would struggle in Division 1, probably. Kristian Jakobsson went from being a very mediocre Allsvenskan player who put up 7 points in 46 games in his last season to being by far the best player in the Norweigan league. Went from a 0.32 PPG in 4 seasons in the Allsvenskan to 1.16 PPG in 3 seasons in Norway.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Behave. The best Norweigan teams would struggle in Division 1, probably. Kristian Jakobsson went from being a very mediocre Allsvenskan player who put up 7 points in 46 games in his last season to being by far the best player in the Norweigan league. Went from a 0.32 PPG in 4 seasons in the Allsvenskan to 1.16 PPG in 3 seasons in Norway.

Matt Maione went from 46 points as a d-man in the KHL to 21 in the Italian league.
I hereby announce that the Italian league is superior to the KHL.

Reactions: Friar85

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Sune Bergman x- Frisk Asker with 40 years experience in Swedish hockey had an article about this in 2013. Norway FKL vs. Hockeyallsvenskan.

- Norsk ishockey mangler selvtillit

Frisk Asker the norwegian team won against Bofors( a mid-level Allsvenskan team). Comet the Norwegian team won 7-3 against the same team Bofors.

So it is not a huge difference between the norwegian FKL and mid-level Hockeyallsvenskan teams. The top-3 teams in HA are better than the norwegian FKL teams. But the top norwegian FKL teams would do just fine against mid-level HA teams.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Comparing Allsvansken vs Norwegian League ppg is in general a very poor metric for comparing players. Allsvenskan's second most productive player last season wasn't even at a ppg, while in Fjordkraftligaen you have + / - 15 players with similar production. Everybody gets inflated numbers when they move to Norway from Sweden.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It baffles me why people are so willing to go into this whole production rates thing when in reality, you can just compare budgets. There are no miracles in this world, better players are being paid more. Since we can obviously see top Norwegian league players aren't exactly in a hurry to sign in Allsvenskan it means the salaries, therefore the playing level, is pretty close.
Behave. The best Norweigan teams would struggle in Division 1, probably.
Norwegian teams made CHL playoffs twice, Storhamar actually beat Djurgardens to do so in 18/19. But sure, would struggle in Division 1. Statements like these just show your whole agenda is driven by pure ignorance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad