Team needs to develop culture of accountability summed up well by Jordan Nolan

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
From the Locker Room: Sabres-Wild

Jordan Nolan:
On why the team cannot get over "the hump":
"I think we have to start holding guys accountable. Start being honest with ourselves and our teammates. We're turning pucks over and not working hard. It kind of slips itself under the rug. If someone does turn [the puck] over; they don't chip it in at the red line or blue line, we have to say something. This team hasn't been too successful over the years and it needs to change or it's going to be a long, long season and a few seasons to come if that's the way it is."
On his time with the L.A. Kings, and how that tenure differs from his time as a Sabre: "If I made a mistake [in L.A.], like in my fifth year, I would have guys telling me 'you need to work harder, you need to chip that puck in'. I remember Jeff Carter telling me a few times when I was younger that I need to work harder, or that my shifts were too long. That's just little things. That's what I learned coming into the league. I think we're missing that in this room. Guys are young. They need to be told."
Full audio: 11-22 Jordan Noilan Post-Game

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Ya tough move by Nolan as he should be blunt in the room and not to the media. But he’s spot on. We need that Jeff Carter.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Along with Foligno's comments, really tells you what kind of "veteran leaders" Giona and Gorges are/were, which is a shame because ostensibly what they were brought here for. Also makes it clear that no one else has stepped up to the plate to fill the void. No wonder we have no captain.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ya tough move by Nolan as he should be blunt in the room and not to the media. But he’s spot on. We need that Jeff Carter.

He may have been during the closed door players meeting after the game. I imagine its hard to be that guy as a 4th line waiver pickup.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Along with Foligno's comments, really tells you what kind of "veteran leaders" Giona and Gorges are/were, which is a shame because ostensibly what they were brought here for. Also makes it clear that no one else has stepped up to the plate to fill the void. No wonder we have no captain.
Pominville was a good add but we definitely need more.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
He may have been during the closed door players meeting after the game. I imagine its hard to be that guy as a 4th line waiver pickup.
Agreed but he has been on two cup winning teams and played in playoff hockey. Something most of our team hasn’t.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
He's right - but the dilemma I see is that calling out specific players for specific mistakes when everyone is making mistakes creates a situation of 'the pot calling the kettle black' and eventually a lot of finger-pointing in a perpetual blame game. Eichel, O'Reilly, Okposo and the others that like to criticize their own play in front of the media don't really accomplish anything in doing so, other than venting; each player can say they "need to be better....yada yada" but if they then aren't in the next game, what's the point? Nolan's comment that "This team hasn't been too successful over the years and it needs to change or it's going to be a long, long season and a few seasons to come if that's the way it is" is 100% right on the mark - but, if everyone is calling each other out for mistakes, it's hard to envision camaraderie building or the locker room becoming a tighter unit. It seems dissension would occur first and more individuals playing for themselves instead of their teammates.

That said, the tendency of teammates in sports to "stick up for each other" as a support system that strives for positivity and encouragement isn't working and can't be the fallback. It's baffling to me to see the roster more or less completely overhauled since the Rochester core era that became renowned for mediocrity yet the same issues of work ethic, accountability and resilience still are relevant. The core today definitely seems a better mix then so I can't get my mind around why it's such a mess now, even after all of the managerial and personnel changes.

One thing though that Harrington hit the nail on the head with is that, as the anointed face of the franchise and most talented player, Eichel has to be the first problem to fix. His work ethic has to change - he can say whatever he wants to the media about being annoyed and angry with the losing and break sticks in the locker room as much as he wants. Until he digs down himself and commits to full efforts on every shift he plays, rather than the spurts of energy followed by defeatist floating, this team is going nowhere. For all of the criticisms that Vanek and Afinogenov got respectively about floating through shifts or trying to deke around 3-4 guys, Eichel's been just as guilty of both tendencies. If an opponent is within reach, he'll forecheck but otherwise let up in pursuit 9 times out of 10 and defer to someone else picking up coverage. Granted, the roster isn't filled with many alternatives but the ploy of letting Eichel lead the rush up ice from his own zone typically results in a gauntlet at the opposing blueline that he rarely can stickhandle through or around - all the while with his teammates standing still waiting for the puck to cross the blueline.

I want to believe that Botterill / Housley will figure this out but there's also a sense that both are more passive, diplomatic personalities that won't exert tough love or strict discipline over the players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Culture change:

- Trade for Dustin Brown. Terrible contract but it's worth it. Give him the C.
- Trade Kane and hope Eichel wakes up because of it
- take the A from Eichel and give it to Pominville

Reactions: SabresFan26

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
And, right or wrong for a 21-year old kid, I point out Eichel's case only because he clearly is the piece the team intends to build around and have at it's central focus for the next 8 years. His talent level, his accomplishments prior to the draft and his own words embracing that position all warrant holding him to an even higher standard than the rest of the roster IMO.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Culture change:

Said this in th GDT but if there was ever a time to trade Kane, right now is it.

Liked that Botterill brought in Cullen and cup vets to Pittsburgh, hopefully we get some. Heck at least Nolan was a free cup winner.

Here’s a good question for someone with time to look up. Who on this team has won a playoff series in their career? Who has been in the playoffs in over half of their seasons?

I’d get rid of Lehner too. He doesn’t strike me as a good culture guy either based on his statements and temper tantrums.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Said this in th GDT but if there was ever a time to trade Kane, right now is it.

Liked that Botterill brought in Cullen and cup vets to Pittsburgh, hopefully we get some. Heck at least Nolan was a free cup winner.

Here’s a good question for someone with time to look up. Who on this team has won a playoff series in their career? Who has been in the playoffs in over half of their seasons?

I’d get rid of Lehner too. He doesn’t strike me as a good culture guy either based on his statements and temper tantrums.

Agreed. I'd also trade for MAF at this point. Didn't want to this off-season. But like Simba, it's time.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Culture change:

I have a feeling that one of the things Eichel is personally struggling with - which most super-talented athletes probably do - is the lack of comparable skill and talent on the roster to support him. Dealing Kane would likely add even more pressure and the feeling that Eichel has to "do it all" on a nightly basis if the team is to have any chance of winning a game - something his play now seems to already reflect when he tries to outmaneuver all 5 defenders by himself.

If the Sabres trade away the limited but credible talent they have now (i.e. Kane, O'Reilly, Okposo, Reinhart) as a way of reversing some of Murray's choices in favor of a 'build-through-the-draft' process, I suspect it will prompt more impatience and eventual indifference from Eichel over time. Somehow, and I have no idea how, who or when it can happen, Botterill has to upgrade the talent level around Eichel.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
And, right or wrong for a 21-year old kid, I point out Eichel's case only because he clearly is the piece the team intends to build around and have at it's central focus for the next 8 years. His talent level, his accomplishments prior to the draft and his own words embracing that position all warrant holding him to an even higher standard than the rest of the roster IMO.
Exactly your best players need to be the best people. Botterill and housley should be investing all of their efforts in making him better on and off the ice.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So in typical Sabre fashion, they need to go find someone from another team to wear letters while the players assembled from within don't rise to the occasion? This is Rivet/Ott/Gionta all over again. They've been playing this song on repeat for almost 10 years.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad