Team Names That Weren't

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
I am wondering what were some of the proposed team nicknames that didn't make it in the NHL? I guess this question is most applicable to recent expansion or relocated teams.

I will start for the Wild:

Voyageurs- Solid. Would have fit well with Jacques.
Freeze- Atrocious.
Northern Lights- Liked it okay, but too close to the North Stars. Kinda sounds like a girls volleyball team.
Blue Ox- Liked it as the name of our roller hockey team, but not for the NHL.
White Bears- Would have been fine.
Wild- Initially, I was terrified. I was scared they would take the adjective route complete with horrible songs. But was relieved when they went with wildlife.

For the Preds, I seem to recall Fury or Ice Cats.

I want to say that Phoenix came down to the Coyotes or Scorpions. There may have been others.

What else was out there?

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Proposed names of the Flyers by original exec Bill Putnam included Raiders, Royals, Knights, Sabres and Lancers. Others were Huskies, Blizzards, IceCaps, Bashers, Bruisers and Keystones. Eventually there was a "Name the Team Contest" that included 11,000 entries.

Source: "Full Spectrum" by Jay Greenberg

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
If I remeber correctly, the SJ Sharks had a "name that team" contest.

SJ Blades was the top choice but Sharks was ultimately selected.

Matt Foley*

The runner-up name for the Blue Jackets was the Justice. That name would have had its roots from the fact that Nationwide Arena was built on the site of the old Ohio state prison. Instead they went with the name that has its roots in Ohio's role in the Civil War.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
The Oilers were almost the "Oil Kings"

When Bill Hunter was given a charter WHA franchise he originally planed to name them the Edmonton Oil Kings after his Junior WHL team. He eventually renamed the team Oilers to forge a new identity for the club. Edmonton is the leading source of Canada's Oil industry.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
bossy22 said:
If I remeber correctly, the SJ Sharks had a "name that team" contest.

SJ Blades was the top choice but Sharks was ultimately selected.
Blades was chosen but there was concern with the gang violence that it could end up being a PR disaster or it might have been a casualty to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad