Team name poll: Las Vegas or Vegas?

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I much prefer the name as Las Vegas. It gives it a special uniqueness sort of like the Los Angeles Kings. I can't imagine saying the Angeles Kings.

Las Vegas Silver Knights all the way!

member 151739

Vegas is for tourists. Las Vegas is for citizens.

The official team location being listed as "Vegas" would be an abomination.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Most people who watch the Knights will NOT be from the city. Hence why it'll be known as "Vegas", like it or not. All due respect to its Spanish heritage.

That's likely the most silly explanation I've heard for anything regarding the name. Every team is watched by more people outside the city than within it.

If you're saying a majority of the people in the arena watching the team being from outside the valley, you've got no basis upon which to make that statement.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm saying that the VAST MAJORITY of people who will speak of the NHL team will not be residents of the area, and their USAGE will likely be: "Vegas".

Now, the minority can whine and complain about the official name of the city, but it won't change the fact that language evolves based on usage and most people will not speak of "Las Vegas" when referring to the team.

So, whether the team name will be listed officially as that of the city or most common usage, the latter will prevail in most communication. So, urinate against the wind if you like. It'll be silly, as it won't make much difference.

original.png

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm saying that the VAST MAJORITY of people who will speak of the NHL team will not be residents of the area, and their USAGE will likely be: "Vegas".

Now, the minority can whine and complain about the official name of the city, but it won't change the fact that language evolves based on usage and most people will not speak of "Las Vegas" when referring to the team.

So, whether the team name will be listed officially as that of the city or most common usage, the latter will prevail in most communication. So, urinate against the wind if you like. It'll be silly, as it won't make much difference.

This thread is mostly concerning the official name of the team, Vegas vs Las Vegas. I don't think anyone has an issue with people calling the team Vegas, just not officially.

When you're scrolling through the league's site you should look for the Vegas team under L, not V.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think it should be Las Vegas.

But it also could depend on what the team name is, it might work better with or without depending

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Evolution of language may explain the increasing acceptability of "ain't" in polite company, or people no longer rolling their eyes over the horrific misuse of "ironic" or "begs the question", but it has nothing to do with shortening place names.

Personally, I get sort of annoyed when people refer to my town as The Peg (although not nearly as much as when they call it Loserpeg, but that's a separate topic). I mean, do you want your home referred to as The Vic (or is it Naimo)?

I would go so far as to suggest that each use of Vegas in this forum, excepting where it is immediately preceded by Las or is used on its own for the purpose of discussing the impropriety of said usage, should result in the poster receiving a 24 hour thread ban and loss of 50 units of vCash.

:D

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If it's Las Vegas. Do you think it will mainly still be said as, The Las Vegas "desert" Knights? Or simplified to Las Vegas ____ Knights?

It's a bit even more drawn out with how phrasing will work for announcers or talking up about the team. Because in those times you know its THE pittsburgh Penguins vs THE New york rangers.

Would you want THE vegas silver knights or Las Vegas Golden Knights.

Having essentially THE "THE" said all the time by announcers is quite idiotic and will happen unless they aggressively promote to not do it to the league. Los Angeles is often protected by it because of it being called The LA Lakers or LA Dodgers in statements to a high frequency.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If it's Las Vegas. Do you think it will mainly still be said as, The Las Vegas "desert" Knights? Or simplified to Las Vegas ____ Knights?

It's a bit even more drawn out with how phrasing will work for announcers or talking up about the team. Because in those times you know its THE pittsburgh Penguins vs THE New york rangers.

Would you want THE vegas silver knights or Las Vegas Golden Knights.

Having essentially THE "THE" said all the time by announcers is quite idiotic and will happen unless they aggressively promote to not do it to the league. Los Angeles is often protected by it because of it being called The LA Lakers or LA Dodgers in statements to a high frequency.

I guess. It's not like we're The The Angels Angels of Anaheim or anything. They make it work, though. I think we're thinking way too deeply on that. Las Vegas might as well not mean anything in Spanish. When it comes to the name, we are The Meadows, but for every day use Las Vegas is just Las Vegas. I'd bet 5% of the English speaking population in the US/Canada know what Las Vegas translates to.

When commentators and announcers are mentioning the team, I fully expect to rarely hear Las Vegas Silver Knights or whatever it winds up.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
NHL.com headline writers will likely be saying "Vegas Knights" routinely.

Which is fine, as long as we're really the Las Vegas Whatever Knights officially.

Like I said before, as long as we're between Edmonton and Los Angeles in lists of the division teams I'm happy. If we're below Vancouver Foley made a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad