Team name poll: Las Vegas or Vegas?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sinbin.vegas ran a twitter poll asking how people refer to the city, Las Vegas or Vegas. We know the team has registered for trademarks of all three names with Vegas and Las Vegas options, so we'll ask the real question here.

Which do you prefer for the actual official team name?

To keep it as unbiased as possible (I'm trying :laugh:.) Please vote before you read the posts since it may sway your vote. Just formulate your opinion, vote, then read what everyone else has said, and post what you think.

Let's do this!

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think Vegas is just too informal. We're in Las Vegas. While people call this place Vegas, it always reminds me of a Hangover/Vegas Vacation/Drunk chick on a plane in a straw cowboy hat yelling "Vegas Baby" kind of way. You know, the ones that are annoying as hell when you're on your way home from a vacation and she's on her way to a weekend of debauchery.

Plus, I can't think of another team that actually shortens their city name/uses a nickname without trying to reach further than their home city. I put New England, Tampa Bay etc in the same category as Carolina, Arizona, Golden State, etc. They're trying to reach more population with their name.

Is there a major pro-sports team out there that actually shortens their name? I've been trying to think of one and I've failed so far.

Plus, it just seems like a brutal thing to eliminate all the "LV" branded stuff you could sell being "Las Vegas" instead of "Vegas."

I've just always been happy to live in Las Vegas. I work in Las Vegas, I walk my dog in Las Vegas, I get pissed off at people driving slow in the left lane in Las Vegas. The people in Vegas usually stay on the Strip, and I prefer it that way.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Vegas is terrible. I'm traveling to York later this year to see the Islanders. I might check them out on their west coast trip when they play in Angeles or Jose.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As long as no other team in the NHL formally shortens their official city name (New Jersey, New York, and Los Angeles for example) I'm in a firm NO Vegas over Las Vegas as the official name stance.

It's no one's fault but Foley that he wants to choke everyone with a two word Knights name.

Cause Las Vegas Knights just "didn't fit what" they were trying to do with the team name. Whatever Foley. We're all just gonna call it Knights anyway.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
I much prefer the "Las Vegas whatever Knights" over "Vegas".

However, if I was a logo designer, it would be much easier to work with the singular, symmetrical letter "V".... "LV" is a little awkward to work into a design. It took many pages of sketches to come up with the 2 "LV" helmet designs that I did. With a "V" for "Vegas", you just throw some wings on it, jam a sword or lance through it, or cross some hockey sticks behind it...Voila!
I wonder if the name wording decision will be influenced at all by the logos?

There's an interesting second part to this question. We're talking about the name in terms of the wording, but, what about visually...Would anyone be ok with a "V" on the front of a sweater? Would anyone who wasn't aware of the team think "Las Vegas" with a "V for Vegas" logo?

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
They should name them after the full city name. Regardless, sports broadcasters and everyone else will still use "Vegas ____ Knights" or "Vegas Knights" or just "Knights". Either way, the full name of the team should be named after the full name of the city in my opinion and I think most will agree.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
There are no knights anymore, this is just a phantasy, so why not call the team only Vegas.
We play in Las Vegas but we don't need to call the team after the city. And besides that everybody knows that Vegas is Las Vegas.
I also love the V only.
I would prefer Aces, if they call them Knights they will be Vegas for me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
vegas-baby.gif

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
I much prefer the "Las Vegas whatever Knights" over "Vegas".

However, if I was a logo designer, it would be much easier to work with the singular, symmetrical letter "V".... "LV" is a little awkward to work into a design. It took many pages of sketches to come up with the 2 "LV" helmet designs that I did. With a "V" for "Vegas", you just throw some wings on it, jam a sword or lance through it, or cross some hockey sticks behind it...Voila!
I wonder if the name wording decision will be influenced at all by the logos?

There's an interesting second part to this question. We're talking about the name in terms of the wording, but, what about visually...Would anyone be ok with a "V" on the front of a sweater? Would anyone who wasn't aware of the team think "Las Vegas" with a "V for Vegas" logo?

Eh, I think at least one person has made it work.

ff587bbd4b7955ba2b7f02c93d143405.jpg

:sarcasm:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sinbin is running the same poll now. Las Vegas is up, but not by as much as its up here.

Who are these people voting in Sinbin polls? Got to be a bunch of Canadians or something. Canadians seem to prefer Vegas based on what I've seen.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
First of all, the city is Las Vegas. That's what it is. That's the name of the city. That's got to be the name of the team. To officially name them the Vegas ____ Knights would be, I don't know what the right word is... unprofessional? Ignorant? Tacky?

I know it's wordier, but it is honestly more pleasing to my ear to hear the Las as part of the name. The Las Vegas Silver Knights is audibly decent to hear. The Vegas Silver Knights sounds kind of lazy and trashy to be honest.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Sinbin is running the same poll now. Las Vegas is up, but not by as much as its up here.

Who are these people voting in Sinbin polls? Got to be a bunch of Canadians or something. Canadians seem to prefer Vegas based on what I've seen.

Umm, hello?

This Canadian says Las Vegas, always. I think Canadians that say Vegas wear loud print shirts, and have really bad hair. Perhaps that's an unfair generalization. It's likely some don't have any hair. :D

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's different. Whatever the team will be officially called is gonna be an officially licensed property that needs to be formal.

Captain Chaos

vilLAin
Sep 8, 2005
In the vapor
It's gotta be Las Vegas. Use the proper full name of the city.

People usually say "Vegas" when they are partying and have a few: "Vegas baby!" You don't want that for the NHL team.

On another note it is totally acceptable to say "Frisco" when referring to the Giants and 49ers!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's gotta be Las Vegas. Use the proper full name of the city.

People usually say "Vegas" when they are partying and have a few: "Vegas baby!" You don't want that for the NHL team.

On another note it is totally acceptable to say "Frisco" when referring to the Giants and 49ers!

Life long 49ers and Giants fan since the late 50's. No it isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad