Speculation: Team Name Discussion v2.0 (See Post 93)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
2-Step-Brothers-quotes.jpg

Climb the fence... books and pens...
I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

Jun 6, 2016
NightHawks would be cool if it were the military theme and not a damn bird.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I've already had one of my teams have their name stolen (White Sox had it 1st). Now there's gonna be 2 Hawks?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Otto31

Nov 24, 2013
Let's imagine for a moment the Chicago Blackhawks playing in red and the Las Vegas Red Hawks playing in black. Nice.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Prefer Nighthawks, but all three immediately brings to mind Chicago Blackhawks and the Red Hawks bring to mind both the Red Wings and Blackhawks. Not a good move in my opinion.

It's almost like having two teams in the same league being named the Roughriders.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Where is the "None of the above" option in the poll? I hope this is actually just a rumor, and the name is not chosen from these.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm hoping this is a massive smokescreen and somehow things got worked out with Knights. I really came to like the Knights name and concept.

I could learn to love Nighthawks, but it's still too similar to Blackhawks.

Mar 6, 2012
I'm figure the Hawks (Black) kind of lost the ability to have an issue with Columbus entering the league with their name. I'm guessing a precedent has been set.

Either way, I don't have to change my chant while I watch games.

#LetGoHawks :laugh:

ETA: TFP and I are on the same page.

I recall reading that the Blue Jackets had to get permission from the Blues in order to enter the league with a name that was somewhat similar.

That said, I feel like any of these Las Vagas ________ Hawks names are way more similar. If I was the Blackhawks, I would fight this.

I personally do not like any of these names. I really love the Las Vegas Aces. Why can't they go with that?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Where is the "None of the above" option in the poll? I hope this is actually just a rumor, and the name is not chosen from these.

I didn't want that to win.:laugh: We had the name idea thread, this is the leaked "here's the real choices" thread.

Prefer Nighthawks, but all three immediately brings to mind Chicago Blackhawks and the Red Hawks bring to mind both the Red Wings and Blackhawks. Not a good move in my opinion.

It's almost like having two teams in the same league being named the Roughriders.

From a branding standpoint I'm not super happy, but that's not my job so I don't mind that much. Like I've said a few times, every name is stupid until it gets repeated enough to sound normal.

I'm hoping this is a massive smokescreen and somehow things got worked out with Knights. I really came to like the Knights name and concept.

I could learn to love Nighthawks, but it's still too similar to Blackhawks.

I guess I wouldn't have to learn, cross out the "black" on my hat and write in "night.":laugh:
I recall reading that the Blue Jackets had to get permission from the Blues in order to enter the league with a name that was somewhat similar.

That said, I feel like any of these Las Vagas ________ Hawks names are way more similar. If I was the Blackhawks, I would fight this.

I personally do not like any of these names. I really love the Las Vegas Aces. Why can't they go with that?

People always talk about the permission for team names stuff. I haven't really seen (or, more accurately, been able to find) anything that suggests that really happened. I know they've got to go through the league to get approval, but I don't know that the league would call specific teams and ask if it's okay. If the lawyers think it's fine I would guess that's enough.

I don't know that I'd pick a name like one from a team that already exists (especially an O6 team,) but I don't own a team.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think Nighthawks would be a decent way of getting "(k)night" in as an option, but if a team that's not even in the league is objecting to using knight, I can't imagine there wouldn't be an uproar from the most successful NHL team of this decade.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Nighthawks would be a decent way of getting "(k)night" in as an option, but if a team that's not even in the league is objecting to using knight, I can't imagine there wouldn't be an uproar from the most successful NHL team of this decade.

Again. If other teams/entities have given Foley and Co difficulties, these names wouldn't be finalists if Chicago had a problem with it.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Again. If other teams/entities have given Foley and Co difficulties, these names wouldn't be finalists if Chicago had a problem with it.

True. I understand having one __hawks suggestion in the top three, but all of them? Even if they choose a silly name for the team, I'd still be on board if it's original enough. I remember the Blue Jackets and Wild coming in and not being particularly fond of either, but after 15+ years it's not really a problem.

If they suggested Las Vegas Aliens, Atoms, and (K)NightHawks I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. Having all three as a derivative of Hawks just bugs me I guess, like they didn't try that hard.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Re. the chant issue ("let's go Hawks") that's been mentioned, the chant could just be:

"let's go Nighthawks"
*clap clap clapclapclap"
"let's go Nighthawks"

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Well, at least it's not as bad the CFL having two teams called the Rough Riders.

Not that any of those three are bad names per say, but with the Blackhawks and all, you would think they could be a little diverse and creative with the name for heaven's sake.

Also reminds me of:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well, at least it's not as bad the CFL having two teams called the Rough Riders.

Not that any of those three are bad names per say, but with the Blackhawks and all, you would think they could be a little diverse and creative with the name for heaven's sake.

If we're going to snag a name, might as well snag it from the best.

ICantDriveLV

Jun 22, 2016
Sin City, NV
I can live with Nighthawks. I'd be interested to see the logo and colors that would go with.

Then again, this could be a decoy to keep the domain squatters at bay.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can live with Nighthawks. I'd be interested to see the logo and colors that would go with.

Then again, this could be a decoy to keep the domain squatters at bay.

I've got to think that time has passed (likely a year and a half ago to be honest.) We're in filing trademarks and making things happen time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad