Speculation: Team Name Discussion v2.0 (See Post 93)

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just have to wonder if the Blackhawks have given the go ahead here. Chicago claimed ownership of the "Hawks" shorthand nickname back when Kansas City entered the league and initially tried to be the Mohawks, and Blackhawk opposition was enough to get them to move towards the Scouts instead.

Granted, the KC team also wanted to have an Indian Head logo, so that might've been a bigger factor in the conversation, so might be an apples and oranges comparison.

Of the options.... Nighthawks, I guess.

640px-Nighthawks_by_Edward_Hopper_1942.jpg

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
WTF?:laugh: How about the Black Wings or the Gold Jackets? What's with these ****ing guys and having a name that's "Las Vegas [colour] [mascot]".

Pittsburgh Black Penguins
New York Blue Rangers
Philadelphia Orange Flyers

I still say Las Vegas Sin would be deadly.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
As mentioned in the article, Nighthawks works both from an animal standpoint as well as from a military standpoint.

Remember that while we don't really have stealths in town much anymore the Stealth Fighter, or Nighthawk, spent its early days in Nevada. It's not unusual to see Stealth references all around town, including:

0.jpg

picture.php

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Interesting way to capitalize on Chicago fans who might change their loyalties - "You won't even have to change the way you say, 'Let's go Hawks!'"

:naughty: ;)

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Just have to wonder if the Blackhawks have given the go ahead here. Chicago claimed ownership of the "Hawks" shorthand nickname back when Kansas City entered the league and initially tried to be the Mohawks, and Blackhawk opposition was enough to get them to move towards the Scouts instead.

Granted, the KC team also wanted to have an Indian Head logo, so that might've been a bigger factor in the conversation, so might be an apples and oranges comparison.

Of the options.... Nighthawks, I guess.

I'm figure the Hawks (Black) kind of lost the ability to have an issue with Columbus entering the league with their name. I'm guessing a precedent has been set.

Either way, I don't have to change my chant while I watch games.

#LetGoHawks :laugh:

ETA: TFP and I are on the same page.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
One thing Chris Creamer didn't acknowledge in his article, though, is that the domain names might not be related to the NHL club. Could be registered for a possible AHL squad, maybe.

Lots of caveats when people start looking at domain registrations... :D

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hopefully the logo and branding comes out and is top notch.

As a student of marketing/branding I'm not super happy with the whole Hawks/Hawks thing, but if the branding is solid I think they can really pull it off. Puts a lot of pressure on the Adidas guys trying to go up against (one of) the most popular team(s) in hockey with one of the best examples of sports branding out there.

Lots of pressure.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
God I'm not gonna enjoy saying Let's go Hawks.

Don't get me wrong, before Winnipeg joined the league and before the three cups, Chicago was the only team I could claim was my "second" team and they're technically my "number 4" team behind Vegas and Winnipeg (though I've tired of their recent dominance).

But chanting Let's go Hawks will feel like I'm rooting for Chicago. At least at first.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
God I'm not gonna enjoy saying Let's go Hawks.

Don't get me wrong, before Winnipeg joined the league and before the three cups, Chicago was the only team I could claim was my "second" team and they're technically my "number 4" team behind Vegas and Winnipeg (though I've tired of their recent dominance).

But chanting Let's go Hawks will feel like I'm rooting for Chicago. At least at first.

Almost got to go with "Go Hawks Go" if it's going to be one of those. Let's Go Hawks is way too Chicago.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm figure the Hawks (Black) kind of lost the ability to have an issue with Columbus entering the league with their name. I'm guessing a precedent has been set.

Either way, I don't have to change my chant while I watch games.

#LetGoHawks :laugh:

ETA: TFP and I are on the same page.

It's close, but it's not a similar comparison if only for the fact that shorthand nicknames are pretty important in hockey. Blues are the Blues, but the Blue Jackets are just the Jackets. If Vegas picks any of these names, it'd be ridiculous to call them anything but the Hawks. It'd be pretty odd if their nickname was the Reds or the Nights or the Deserts....

Maybe the Blackhawks don't care, dunno.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Almost got to go with "Go Hawks Go" if it's going to be one of those. Let's Go Hawks is way too Chicago.

True. Anyway. If these really are the last three options left I'd rank them

Nighthawks (honestly it is kind of cool and if Chicago was never in the league I'd have zero qualms about it)
Red Hawks (less cool, and slots in like a Red Wings/Blackhawks nightmare breed)
Desert Hawks (this would take me the longest to get used to. The word desert is so redundant to me. I know it's literally a species we have in Nevada but it's such a dumb qualifier. It would be like if Anaheim was the coastal ducks. Or San Jose Pacific Sharks. Everyone who knows what Vegas is knows it's in the desert.)

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
Agree with above sentiments. I think probably it's already been decided as Nighthawks (which, yes, is admittedly the best of 3 meh names, in my opinion.) The other two are only listed as cover so it isn't as blatantly obvious that they're just thumbing their nose at London's asinine insistence on trying to prevent them from having a variation of the word "Knight" written in black on their jerseys.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Agree with above sentiments. I think probably it's already been decided as Nighthawks (which, yes, is admittedly the best of 3 meh names, in my opinion.) The other two are only listed as cover so it isn't as blatantly obvious that they're just thumbing their nose at London's asinine insistence on trying to prevent them from having a variation of the word "Knight" written in black on their jerseys.

I don't think London was pushing back against Black Knights. Seems like it was West Point doing that and there is a lawyer out here who owns the copyright to Las Vegas Black Knights

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
I don't think London was pushing back against Black Knights. Seems like it was West Point doing that and there is a lawyer out here who owns the copyright to Las Vegas Black Knights

Ah, serves me right for giving articles a cursory glance and completely misinterpreting them.

Take it fwiw given my displayed ignorance, but I still think the call has probably already been made as NightHawks. If you can't have the name you love, love the name you can stitch.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Just as bad as the Knight options. I don't care about the name too much as long as it isn't truly terrible but it'd be nice to have something likeable.

I dig it if they go with the Stealth connection to Vegas. If they make the uniforms and logos as cool as they can using a "stealth" foundation, I think they might wind up okay/good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad