WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Butbutbut... no NHLer wants to play under Paskamäki! That's a faaaaaact!

I was wondering what the people who were so certain of such a "fact" would now be saying when we have around 300 NHL points in our lineup. Apparently it's "our coach is crappy just because". OK, gotcha.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Butbutbut... no NHLer wants to play under Paskamäki! That's a faaaaaact!

I was wondering what the people who were so certain of such a "fact" would now be saying when we have around 300 NHL points in our lineup. Apparently it's "our coach is crappy just because". OK, gotcha.
Yeah 4/6 best point producers from the NHL in our team. Not bad.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah 4/6 best point producers from the NHL in our team. Not bad.
With a decent chance to make that 5/8.

As a related note...

It's a shame that Koivu would be a pretty good replicate for Jordan Staal, but there's no way in hell I'd separate Koivu from Granny.

Suomela is probably the one for #2 center indeed in the case of declines. I like it.
Time to re-visit this comment since it's been nagging at the back of my head for a while. When I first saw it, I was about to note that this season, Koivu and Granny have not been as joined to the hip as they've been before. In fact, Granlund has scored most his points this season playing alongside Eric Staal, IIRC.

Additionally, I have great faith in Suomela. So a top-six of Aho-Koivu-Teräväinen and Granlund-Suomela-Rantanen wouldn't give me any kind of jitters at all. The reason I didn't state this earlier is I felt it'd then leave us a gaping hole at 3C. Kemppainen has apparently declined, as has Koskiranta. Niemi will make a fine 4C, but no way I want someone like Sandell or Sallinen leading our third unit.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but only some moments ago did I recall we have one more option I'd be perfectly comfortable with. Jani Lajunen. When I didn't see him in the camp roster, I kinda assumed he must have declined too... but nope, far more likely reason for his absence is that he's still in the NLA finals with Lugano. The series is tied 3-3, and Game 7 is tomorrow.

So, assuming we get Koivu but Kapanen gets sent to the Marlies, our ideal forward lineup in that case could be something like...

Aho - Koivu - Teräväinen
Granlund - Suomela - Rantanen
Rajala - Lajunen - Jormakka (any two of Savinainen/Manninen/Palola/Pesonen/Kiiskinen/Peltola/Junttila could also be the wings here)
Enlund - Niemi - Anttila

While I'd still kinda like to see that TT-Aho-Rantanen line, I do feel that this setup would solve the tricky question about finding a good complementary piece for the Koivu-MiG duo which would be together then. Out of our current camp roster, no name feels like a natural fit.

This realization also eases the pressure in case Koivu declines. With Lajunen as 3C, we could have TT-Aho-Rantanen as the first line, and X-Suomela-Granlund as the second - with X being whoever impresses the most over the weekend.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Teräväinen - Aho - Rantanen
Kapanen - Koivu - Granlund
Savinainen - Suomela - Palola
Enlund-Niemi-Anttila

Komarov?

Komarov "officially" retired from the NT recently and ensured it by going in cahoots with a foreign betting agency, which is a big 'no' to the NT official sponsor slash national gambling monopoly company Veikkaus.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
@FiLe, Thanks for the Lajunen info. I was wondering where the guy is. & I agree, Jani would be really good option for 3C role.

Jani Lajunen from HC Lugano is possibly joining the team or is it another Lajunen? Ok I read it in the post of "File" it's Lajunen from Lugano.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
I am bummed that we can't get Kapanen because of freaking marlins or whatever it is. Also Tolvanen eating stick in Nahsville is just wrong.
Vesalainen would be ok for me even he hasn't done anything in finals. He has good shot and could be lethal with decent playmaker

Reactions: Mestaruus

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lasse Kukkonen just said in a post-game interview that he wrapped his NT career at the Olympics.

Somewhere, Lauri Marjamäki is crying tears of disappointment.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
With Lasse being done, here's my on-the-moment projection for our final defense: Honka, Heiskanen, Pokka, Ohtamaa, Kivistö, Riikola, Juolevi, Jokiharju.

May change over the weekend based on the remaining EHT games. Apart from Ohtamaa, I don't really see any other possible name from outside the current group except Lehtonen. He could get an invite if Juolevi or Riikola look underwhelming, or if Marjamäki simply feels uncomfortable picking this many junior-aged d-men.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Nutivaara coming? Kekäläinen has said so. Sad to see Kukkonen retire from national team. Great leader, pure class.
Dubya-Tee-Eff? I mean, we have Nutivaara himself on the record that he won't be coming.

Not that I'd be complaining if he got a second opinion from somewhere, but would be one of the most bizarre chains of events in a while.

Well, from Keklu's lips to our ears...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
OK. So, now I'd say we have six locks for defense: Nutivaara, Honka, Heiskanen, Pokka, Kivistö, Ohtamaa (who's hopefully coming). Then pick two of Riikola/Lehtonen/Juolevi/Jokiharju.

In other news, Marjamäki said he's looking to add two, maybe three players from the Liiga finals. My guesses are Peltola and Junttila, and then perhaps Lehtonen if our current defense underwhelms too much, or possibly Hakanpää, since we already had one miracle recovery.

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This post made me smile. I know, not a serious post but yes Koivu has that overly serious appearance and you nailed it. If Toews is called captain serious or something like that, then Koivu is the Finnish version. Before anyone jumps on me, I'll say that of course I would take Koivu for this WHC squad.

Well, actually I am pretty serious if not dead serious. I am not made of the stuff the great koivus are made but from some more lively, organic, frivolous (facetious) and elastic soul material which might be one basic reason I am writing here rather than being there to be written about lol.

But I appreciate your smile born out of my way to express this Koivu issue. Since I often approach things and questions from unconventional and challenging angles with controversial arguments and views I also employ humour and wit to make the l’offer softer, more nuanced and layered, easier to enjoy and digest - at least, in the worst case, to open some uneeded tightness and make somebody smile while reading. Food for thought, romance for heart, wit for brains, suspense for stomach, or something. A recipe for best-selling lines. Something for everybody. That is my humble goal as a professional writer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
That Nutivaara thing was crazy turn of events. He's the most legit defender we have in the team now along with Heiskanen. Honka is close to both but not at their level in my books. I'll say though that WHC does fit Honka really well and he was amazing there last year. If Hakanpää recovers and we get one or two reinforcements from the Nashville-Winnipeg series, what a team we would have.

Let's not forget, Vegas-San Jose. If no injuries and willingness to come, Donskoi or Haula is guaranteed.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As a Finn Kapanen would be a nice add, he could use a offensive role at a high level, but as a Bruins fans that's negative :laugh:

Good to get some interesting names so the games get more interesting/better.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but only some moments ago did I recall we have one more option I'd be perfectly comfortable with. Jani Lajunen. When I didn't see him in the camp roster, I kinda assumed he must have declined too... but nope, far more likely reason for his absence is that he's still in the NLA finals with Lugano. The series is tied 3-3, and Game 7 is tomorrow.

So, assuming we get Koivu but Kapanen gets sent to the Marlies, our ideal forward lineup in that case could be something like...

Aho - Koivu - Teräväinen
Granlund - Suomela - Rantanen
Rajala - Lajunen - Jormakka (any two of Savinainen/Manninen/Palola/Pesonen/Kiiskinen/Peltola/Junttila could also be the wings here)
Enlund - Niemi - Anttila

I don't normally read Jatkoaika forums, but yesterday I made an exception and someone there suggested Lajunen as well and I thought why not. As long as he's kept in bottom-6 I'm fine with him. That person even left Niemi completely outside of the line up and had Lajunen with Anttila. I wouldn't probably go that far. If we would get Haula, then maybe.

Those 4 offensive lines are pretty good. I don't think Marjamäki has the balls to separate Koivu and Granlund though. Besides since they form a good PK duo, I would prefer to keep them together as much as possible.

I really like the idea of keeping those 4 "star" NHL wingers as wingers which is what they are best at. Need to maximize their potential and not make compromises by putting one of them to the middle.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Koivu - man... a great leader, yet this team needs no more vet leaders (Kukkonen will do) but rather sparkling juvenile energy and new faces for the people and Mr. Koivu with all honesty and all respect is a contrary opposition, anthithesis of anything and everything young, new, juvenile, fresh, energetic, spontaneous, creative, interesting... We need young generation excitement and enthusiasm, not these wornout serious faces whose mobility and speed (of feet, thought, speech) remind those of a dried out birch log. Koivu - an anchor and dead serious weight holding the team and its free expression back, down and out, a dry voice killing joy and creative anarchy on ice. A relic whose time in the NT is over, at least in these spring time festivities, carnevals celebrating the birth of new life and joyful youth! - And Koivu - oh man... Seriously, guys lol.

you seriously take suomela or niemi over koivu, i dont think so :laugh:

yes he is relic and static, never seems to have fun and plays defence first mentality, as long as there is no barkov available ..no wait

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
As a Finn Kapanen would be a nice add, he could use a offensive role at a high level, but as a Bruins fans that's negative :laugh:

Good to get some interesting names so the games get more interesting/better.

Leafs organization hates Laine and Finns (joking) so they bury him to AHL/Marlies probably.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Granlund - Koivu - Rantanen
Aho - Suomela- Teräväinen
Rajala - Lajunen - Savinainen
Enlund - Niemi - Anttila/Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad