WC: Team Finland 2022 roster talk

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
NHL takes Calder cup success over olympic or World championships and Jalonens club performance has not been outstanding besides in Hpk.

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
NHL takes Calder cup success over olympic or World championships and Jalonens club performance has not been outstanding besides in Hpk.
I disagree. I really doubt You can dismiss Jukka Jalonen achievements in NHL or anywhere in the World of hockey. But we nerver know the real talks behind. I doubt Jalonen is interested in a job with rebuilding organization like Arizona for example. With his record and sucsess backround it will be interesting to see what happens this summer. As 2023 is also in Tampere the job of Team Finland coach is not bad option at all. The question is if anybody is willing to offer something more interesting.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Jalonen is not a young man anymore, but the golden crown for his carreer as a coach would be coaching Canada or Sweden.

But not in a few years as Hallam will coach Sweden and Canada never wants a foreign coach.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
If you take an example from football. Best Finnish managerial job has been Sami Hyypiäs Bayer Leverkusen and he is not a great manager. He was a former player there. As a commentator he is lucky to form sentences. Alpo Suhonen was the first European head coach in NHL and he is not so highly appreciated in Europe. Hlinka was certainly.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Jalonen is not a young man anymore, but the golden crown for his carreer as a coach would be coaching Canada or Sweden.

But not in a few years as Hallam will coach Sweden and Canada never wants a foreign coach.
It's a step downwards to coach something else than Finland. It would be an honor from some other country to take him as coach, but honor not needed by Jalonen. Would just break his legacy in Finnish NT. He has all the honor in Finland.

wenkmen

Aug 12, 2009
Přelouč
Congratulate to Finland, well deserved win :) I have one question, please what song played in the background during handing over of the gold medals? Thats great song :) Please help to recognize it..Thanks

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
It's a step downwards to coach something else than Finland. It would be an honor from some other country to take him as coach, but honor not needed by Jalonen. Would just break his legacy in Finnish NT. He has all the honor in Finland.
Maybe not Sweden then, but coaching Canada would be unheard of.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Reactions: Mestaruus

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Back home from Tampere.

#1 I feel sorry for you, if you weren't lucky enough to be in Tampere. Atmosphere was insane, i strongly recommend that you plan a trip to next year's tournament.

#2 Hockey is our game now. 4 tournaments in a row, 3 gold medals and the Big Blue/Blue&White/White&Blue Machine don't show any signs on weakening. We never have the best individuals, but we will have the best and most united TEAM.

#3 Kiitos Leijonat! It's fun to win and fun to be finn.
Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 16-38-58 IIHF - Finland does it!.png

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Exactly. There's no way that J.Jalonen will coach anything else regarding national teams than the teams of Finland. It would leave a stain on him in the eyes of Finnish ice hockey fans and he's not dumb enough to do that. In fact he's a very smart guy.

Reactions: Ippenator and QnebO

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Congratulate to Finland, well deserved win :) I have one question, please what song played in the background during handing over of the gold medals? Thats great song :) Please help to recognize it..Thanks

I've never heard this song before but I googled it by the lyrics for you:

Ramses II - Villieläin

Reactions: wenkmen

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Back home from Tampere.

#1 I feel sorry for you, if you weren't lucky enough to be in Tampere. Atmosphere was insane, i strongly recommend that you plan a trip to next year's tournament.

#2 Hockey is our game now. 4 tournaments in a row, 3 gold medals and the Big Blue/Blue&White/White&Blue Machine don't show any signs on weakening. We never have the best individuals, but we will have the best and most united TEAM.

#3 Kiitos Leijonat! It's fun to win and fun to be finn.
View attachment 553740
did you drink some koskenkorva?

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
When Jalonen was 8 years old he was bullied by 4 UFC fighters. Instead of running to mommy, he drew up tactics and coached 9 of his 8 year old buddies and they beat the crap out of the 4 UFC fighters. One if them was one of the Gracies. True story. Best coach in the world.

Forget the NHL. Can he get to 10 trophies with Finnish national team. That should be the goal.

Reactions: THE JAM and paragon

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
When Jalonen was 8 years old he was bullied by 4 UFC fighters. Instead of running to mommy, he drew up tactics and coached 9 of his 8 year old buddies and they beat the crap out of the 4 UFC fighters. One if them was one of the Gracies. True story. Best coach in the world.

Forget the NHL. Can he get to 10 trophies with Finnish national team. That should be the goal.

Except UFC was created in the 90s or so :). MMA is one of my main sports I've watched since like forever by the way.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

He's got much more to lose than win in the NHL. There you play with the cards you're given, GM will take care of the trades and drafting which will determine a lot.

One of the strenghts of Jalonen is the way he's chosen his staff around him and they are working seamlessly. Obviously there's a lot what he could teach from winning and creating perfect atmosphere, but i can also see many things going wrong when Europe and stubborn NA cultures collide.

Stay with national team, Jukka. Some younger coaches like OJ or possibly Ahokas could try their chances there. Jalonen has nothing to prove.

Reactions: THE JAM

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So where will Manninen and Hartikainen play next season. These guys are rather expensive salary wise. If they would play in any European league, they would have to take massive salary cuts.

Both of them are too good for anything else except the NHL, but for Hartikainen the skating speed might be an issue. Hartikainen has everything else needed though. Hartikainen said in an interview during this WHC tournament that with his age this would be the last moment to go back to NHL.

Manninen belongs to the NHL and we've seen smaller guys succeed there before so I could see it happening. Manninen is tougher than his size suggests. I've noticed him tackling guys hard and so on, but that's not what his primary focus should be though.

Which NHL teams are in need for a top-6 center that would be cheap in cost in NHL standards? Imagine Panthers and they would have only Finnish centers playing lmao. So I don't think that's the destination, but the thought of it is funny.

x-Barkov-x
x-Manninen-x
x-Lundell-x
x-Luostarinen-x

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
He's got much more to lose than win in the NHL. There you play with the cards you're given, GM will take care of the trades and drafting which will determine a lot.

One of the strenghts of Jalonen is the way he's chosen his staff around him and they are working seamlessly. Obviously there's a lot what he could teach from winning and creating perfect atmosphere, but i can also see many things going wrong when Europe and stubborn NA cultures collide.

Stay with national team, Jukka. Some younger coaches like OJ or possibly Ahokas could try their chances there. Jalonen has nothing to prove.
When he stops enjoying coaching Leijonat, he could be given the task of training coaches all over Finland, just a guy who sets the trend. If I were a man who would have a chance to get Jalonen for the Swedish Federation and just to pass on his national team training experience, I would be very happy. It is very painful to watch the Finns win tournaments with worse players but top training. But this problem is created in Sweden and the Swedes have to solve it, but hockey could not be decided by people who choose as a coach someone who smiles nicely and is friends with everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad