WC: Team Finland 2022 roster talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There is a thread for Canada, Sweden and USA so thought Finland should have one too. The home nation!

With current NHL standings and NHL contracts in mind:

Donskoi-Hintz-Armia
Hartikainen-Ma.Granlund-Manninen
Kupari-Borgström-A.Aaltonen
Pakarinen-Björninen-Anttila
H.Pesonen, Innala

Heiskanen-Lindell
Lehtonen-Hakanpää
Ohtamaa-Vatanen
Lindbohm-Pokka

Säteri
Olkinuora
Metsola

Weird looking 3rd line perhaps. But could turn out to be a exotic line. Long time ago Metsola played for the NT. But he might wanna come back now that WC is in Finland.

Perhaps youngsters like Kemell and Räty is ready?

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I don´t think that many players from this olympic gold medal team will show up at wch. Maybe guys like Björninen and Anttila comes. And this time I´m totally okay with that.

I don´t know about Metsola´s situation. He haven´t been playing in the national team since 2018. He might have declined. Jalonen don´t usually involve players that haven´t shown up at EHT. If one of the duo Säteri and Olkinuora accepts the invitation, the goaltending is not gonna be a problem.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Too early to start thinking about this one. Now we celebrate our 1st olympic gold medal like there's no tomorrow, champagne and rye bread. Or at least that's what im having right now.

OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS BAE-BAE

Reactions: Svedu

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
There is a thread for Canada, Sweden and USA so thought Finland should have one too. The home nation!

Donskoi-Hintz-Armia
H.Pesonen, Innala

Heiskanen-Lindell
Lehtonen-Hakanpää
Ohtamaa-Vatanen
Lindbohm-Pokka

Säteri
Olkinuora
Metsola

Weird looking 3rd line perhaps. But could turn out to be a exotic line. Long time ago Metsola played for the NT. But he might wanna come back now that WC is in Finland.

I really hope Filppula would play as a 4th/3th line center to get a chance to be first Finnish triple gold club member.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori

Donskoi-Hintz-Armia
H.Pesonen, Innala

Heiskanen-Lindell
Lehtonen-Hakanpää
Ohtamaa-Vatanen
Lindbohm-Pokka

Säteri
Olkinuora
Metsola

We need to get the triple gold to Filppula.

I would't call Noora Räty a youngster. She is a good goalie but not for this level.

Reactions: Stubu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I´m inspired by Slovaks giving the chance to Slafkovsky. After our gold I do think Aatu Räty would deserve a chance and I don't think he would make a fool out of himself in a second line or something.
I would freaking love to see Niemelä with Ohtamaa or another experienced, defensive minded and left handed D.
But that's were I would stop, Räty and Niemelä. Because I don't see that shitty organization Jets letting Heinola play. I would love to see him on the PP. Others? There are other better and more experienced players who would deserve their chance just as much as Kemell in my opinion. Though I could be wrong. Just don´t think Kemell, Lambert and other youngsters are ready besides those three mentioned above.

Also, I wouldn't mind to see a player like Hietanen (who've already won his golden medals) get replaced by a joker perhaps? Like Saarijärvi?
Miro Aaltonen were one of our best players in this tournament, wouldn't mind seeing him again.
Maccelli from AHL could be really useful for us as well. Oskari Laaksonen is another one. Puustinen, Heponiemi? I could see the latter one being a good fit with Jalonens and his system. Good skater!
Ruotsalainen? Talvitie? I just love his character but I guess he wouldn't make it.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I made another thread for this so I erased that thread and I'll move my lengthy post into this thread instead.

We got some building blocks for the home WHC tournament and head coach Jalonen & GM Jere Lehtinen will face the hard decision of how many of these players they should select to form the base roster for the next tournament.

I understand that it would be a very long season for some players if some of them were to play in both the Olympics and WHC and possibly to play for their club teams' playoffs as well, so maybe we will get few refusals as well. For example I suspect that Hartikainen will be too tired for the WHC and he also has a past history for being a difficult player to recruit into the WHC team, so for that reason at least one of the other players if not both of the UFA line might also pass on the opportunity as well, but who knows because it's a home tournament and these players don't get that kind of opportunity very often. It will be an epic experience, so maybe I'm wrong and all want to go.

The Eastern Division has some separation and it seems to be heading into the direction where these teams can't even get wildcard spots:
Columbus, New York Islanders, Ottawa, Buffalo, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Montreal.

In The Western Division the wild card spots are more contested at the moment, but if I use that same 10 point margin from the last wild card spot for West which I used for East as well:
San Jose, Chicago, Seattle, Arizona.

Possible NHL players that won't make it into the playoffs - i won't list all of the AHL guys nor the guys that didn't play much lately:
Laine
Korpisalo
Robin Salo
Jokiharju
Kuokkanen
Ristolainen
Armia
Lehkonen
Borgström
Lankinen
Donskoi

Some names from the Olympic gold team:
Komarov
Filppula
Hartikainen
Manninen
Ma. Granlund
Mäenalanen
Pakarinen
Mörkö Anttila
Björninen
J. Nättinen
M. Aaltonen
H. Pesonen
Ojamäki
Rajala
---
Vatanen
M. Lehtonen
Pokka
Ohtamaa
Friman
Kemiläinen
Hietanen
Lindbohm
Kaski - was an alternate though
---
Säteri
Olkinuora

Refusals maybe:
Hartikainen
Ristolainen - Will he actually want to come this time for the home tournament and would Jalonen want to take him?

-----------

Below is just a wild guess what the base of the roster could be. I would of course choose that UFA line from the KHL, but I suspect that Hartikainen doesn't come, so I won't mark any of them yet. I'll just put in some sure things. I also want to leave some spots open. There will be some significant star players that will drop out of the playoffs who will want to join.

Laine-x-x
x-x-Komarov
Donskoi-Filppula-Pakarinen
Mäenalanen-Björninen-Anttila

Lehtonen-Jokiharju
Vatanen-x
x-x
Ohtamaa-Pokka

Säteri
Olkinuora
x

I want to give some favoritism to the Olympic gold medalists, but that would make some tricky decisions by leaving out some good players like Lehkonen or Armia. Lehkonen is of course a better player than Komarov and Pakarinen for example. It will be so hard decisions for Jalonen & GM Jere Lehtinen. I won't envy them. Then there's that possibility that we can get some superstars whose teams' get eliminated from the NHL playoffs, making the decisions even harder.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I´m inspired by Slovaks giving the chance to Slafkovsky. After our gold I do think Aatu Räty would deserve a chance and I don't think he would make a fool out of himself in a second line or something.
I would freaking love to see Niemelä with Ohtamaa or another experienced, defensive minded and left handed D.
But that's were I would stop, Räty and Niemelä. Because I don't see that shitty organization Jets letting Heinola play. I would love to see him on the PP. Others? There are other better and more experienced players who would deserve their chance just as much as Kemell in my opinion. Though I could be wrong. Just don´t think Kemell, Lambert and other youngsters are ready besides those three mentioned above.

Also, I wouldn't mind to see a player like Hietanen (who've already won his golden medals) get replaced by a joker perhaps? Like Saarijärvi?
Miro Aaltonen were one of our best players in this tournament, wouldn't mind seeing him again.
Maccelli from AHL could be really useful for us as well. Oskari Laaksonen is another one. Puustinen, Heponiemi? I could see the latter one being a good fit with Jalonens and his system. Good skater!
Ruotsalainen? Talvitie? I just love his character but I guess he wouldn't make it.

You should insert those players in the form of 5on5 lines and see how hard it will be to fit all those players you mentioned in the roster. It will be really difficult if you want to have some NHL superstars & some players from the Olympic roster as well. Defenders and goalies are bit easier than forwards though.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Laine
Korpisalo
Robin Salo

Jokiharju
Kuokkanen
Ristolainen
Armia
Lehkonen
Borgström
Lankinen
Donskoi
As usual, one should also check what is the contract situation of the players potentially available. I bolded the ones whose contracts are running out after the ongoing season. Of course, it's not a total guarantee that these players will pass the invitation, but makes it somewhat more likely, especially in the case of those who are angling for a long contract and a big payday.

However, there are also those who don't look like they're getting one, no matter what; for example, someone like Korpisalo could well gamble that a good international performance might make someone to, well, likely not give him any good money but at least a chance to show that he might be worth something a season down the line.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Best case scenario:

Laine - Hintz - Donskoi
Hartikainen - Granlund - Manninen
Lehkonen - Filppula - Armia
Komarov - Björninen - Anttila

Heiskanen - Lindell
Hakanpää - Lehtonen
Hietanen - Ohtamaa

Säteri
Korpisalo

Reactions: Hasa92

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Team I would like to see. I doubt we get any rfas to join.

Don't think we get this but there some ahl standouts Thomson and Macelli and I d love for them to get a crack.

I'd also take Ruotsilainen.

Macelli Hintz Armia
Kuokkanen Ruotsilainen Manninen
Pesonen Filppula Donskoi
Maenelaenen Bjorninen Komarov

Lindell Heiskenen
Lehtonen Hakanpaa
Ohtamaa Thomson
Lindbolm Jokiharju

Sateri
Olkinoura

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Right now it doesn't look like the big guns (except the quartet from Dallas) are getting relegated from play-offs. The WC will start 13th of may and the regular NHL series will end at 29th of april. Maybe Jalonen will make an exception and wait till the first play-off round is over.

Reactions: Mestaruus

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Right now it doesn't look like the big guns (except the quartet from Dallas) are getting relegated from play-offs. The WC will start 13th of may and the regular NHL series will end at 29th of april. Maybe Jalonen will make an exception and wait till the first play-off round is over.

Has he ever done that?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
As usual, one should also check what is the contract situation of the players potentially available. I bolded the ones whose contracts are running out after the ongoing season. Of course, it's not a total guarantee that these players will pass the invitation, but makes it somewhat more likely, especially in the case of those who are angling for a long contract and a big payday.

However, there are also those who don't look like they're getting one, no matter what; for example, someone like Korpisalo could well gamble that a good international performance might make someone to, well, likely not give him any good money but at least a chance to show that he might be worth something a season down the line.

Well I put out that post pretty fast because there was a lot of things to put in that post, but I'll just say that many of those players are not the biggest losses as we can probably get many players from the Olympic gold team, 2021 WHC silver team and 2019 WHC gold team. Many of them are the same players though.

Biggest loss would be Laine but I will bet my ass off that he will play in that Tampere tournament, because it's his home town. I wouldn't mind if Jalonen & Lehtinen don't even bother inviting Korpisalo, even if he would want to come. I want to go with Säteri or Olkinuora, unless we get some significant goalie upgrade like Saros, Husso or Raanta. I'd say no to Koskinen as well. Our 2019 hero Lankinen isn't getting to play much in Pittsburgh, so I'd say no to him as well.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
You should insert those players in the form of 5on5 lines and see how hard it will be to fit all those players you mentioned in the roster. It will be really difficult if you want to have some NHL superstars & some players from the Olympic roster as well. Defenders and goalies are bit easier than forwards though.

Well, never did I write that all of them should take place? I just stated that I wouldn't think players like Maccelli, Räty, Heponiemi and Niemelä would look like fools under Jalonen.

I think it's more difficult or a bit more tricky to get NHL stars than those I've mentioned but anyways, I disagree regarding letting every player from the OG roster to participate. They did well but I wouldn't mind some hungry and new faces if Jalonen believes that they can contribute or add something extra.
I do think we were a bit weak skating wise and that it wouldn't hurt to get some new younger faces to the WC´s, especially after the gold. I mean they've already won a bigger gold (in my books) than the WC´s the same year. No, give some new faces the opportunity. With some i mean 2-4 players.
Räty could be a bit too tricky because he could need a big role to shine and contribute, I don't know how that would work. But Heponiemi is one that I could see in a third line. Good playmaker and a good skater. If Kupari would be available I wouldn't mind him either. Heponiemi and Kupari have played together before.
I do think Heponiemi could be an option for Lundell as a winger for Panthers. I´m higher on him than some others on their current roster.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well, never did I write that all of them should take place? I just stated that I wouldn't think players like Maccelli, Räty, Heponiemi and Niemelä would look like fools under Jalonen.

I think it's more difficult or a bit more tricky to get NHL stars than those I've mentioned but anyways, I disagree regarding letting every player from the OG roster to participate. They did well but I wouldn't mind some hungry and new faces if Jalonen believes that they can contribute or add something extra.
I do think we were a bit weak skating wise and that it wouldn't hurt to get some new younger faces to the WC´s, especially after the gold. I mean they've already won a bigger gold (in my books) than the WC´s the same year. No, give some new faces the opportunity. With some i mean 2-4 players.
Räty could be a bit too tricky because he could need a big role to shine and contribute, I don't know how that would work. But Heponiemi is one that I could see in a third line. Good playmaker and a good skater. If Kupari would be available I wouldn't mind him either. Heponiemi and Kupari have played together before.
I do think Heponiemi could be an option for Lundell as a winger for Panthers. I´m higher on him than some others on their current roster.

Ah sorry I maybe miss read your post then.

Well in my opinion the base should be 2022 Olympic gold team, 2021 WHC silver team and 2019 WHC gold team, which featured many of the same players. Then add significant star players who might at some point drop out of the playoffs like Barkov, Aho, Rantanen, Hintz, Heiskanen, Lindell and the list goes on. Also Laine who probably isn't going to the playoffs.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Best case scenario:

Laine - Hintz - Donskoi
Hartikainen - Granlund - Manninen
Lehkonen - Filppula - Armia
Komarov - Björninen - Anttila

Heiskanen - Lindell
Hakanpää - Lehtonen
Hietanen - Ohtamaa

Säteri
Korpisalo

Jokiharju > Hietanen. Jokiharju has become pretty good. I think he's playing a lot with Dahlin nowadays and gets always minimum second highest minutes in Buffalo. He's their 2D.

Btw thats pretty brutal on leaving Olkinuora out. He's been a very good goalie for Finland. Silver from last WHC wasn't his fault. Kontiola lost that face off 100-0 and that lead to an odd man rush, which lead to a 3on3 OT goal which was pretty hard to stop. He could've been a gold goalie. He also did all right vs Sweden in the Olympics now. Not perfect game from him but not bad. We dont need Korpisalo. He's good but he isn't getting many games. He isn't Columbus #1 goalie.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Jokiharju > Hietanen. Jokiharju has become pretty good. I think he's playing a lot with Dahlin nowadays and gets always minimum second highest minutes in Buffalo. He's their 2D.

Btw thats pretty brutal on leaving Olkinuora out. He's been a very good goalie for Finland. Silver from last WHC wasn't his fault. 3on3 OT goal that was pretty hard to stop. He could've been a gold goalie. He also did allright vs Sweden in the Olympics now. Not perfect game from him but not bad. We dont need Korpisalo. He's good but he isn't getting many games. He isn't Columbus #1 goalie.

We`ll have 3 goalies and 8 D:s anyway, so Olkinuora and jokiharju etc. will be in. Just was lazy and listed only thoose

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Yep with those dates sounds like we wait for 1st round exits and not sure if Jalonen & Lehtinen wait any longer than that. I do see exceptions with this home tournament being so special. They usually don't bother players during their NHL playoff runs but in this case they might just give a call to Barkov on his health and if he wants to play at his home city in case Florida would get a second round exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs. Barkov is just one example. Knowing Jalonen though he likes to lock teams earlier but I just think he might do some exceptions here compared to his normal methods because this tournament is so special.

Reactions: IceHockeyDude

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not sure about the 2018 team. There were Rantanen, Heiskanen, Aho and Teräväinen, but im not sure did they ever make the play-offs.
How does this answer the question if Jalonen has done that or not? Because the coach in 2018 was Marjamäki. Also, the reason Heiskanen featured in those games was because he wasn't in the NHL yet, but playing in HIFK.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Kupari-Manninen-Heponiemi
M.Aaltonen-Räty-Komarov
Maccelli-Filppula-Ojamäki
Mäenalanen-Björninen-Anttila ( He´s getting older and has a family, could need a rest. Has already both WC and OG gold on his neck).
Valtteri Puustinen, Ruotsalainen, Ranta, Rajala, Ruohomaa, Björkqvist?

I mean why not? Jalonen will build a good team no matter what, but It would be fun to see someone new in the team, a hungry youngster. I Remember Kakko were great, Tolvanen as well. We shouldn't underestimate a talented young player if he's having a good season and the confidence is on top. If there is a role for him to fill that is.
Lehtonen is another example of this, he was good this tournament but a whole other beast when we won the 2019 gold. Form or whatever, I have a feeling he had some huge confidence and that showed when he played. Every single thing looked easy for him back then. Should always consider confidence.
Hartikainen probably won't be participating and I was not satisfied with Markus Granlunds performance. I do believe we have some more feisty players to complete a line with Manninen.

I mean I´m not just picking someone out of the blue. For an example, Koivula has been good this year as well. But I don't think he would suit Jalonens system that well. He has size and somewhat skill but when I have seen him he hasn't had that high intensity or skating ability to be good enough. It's not just numbers and stats, just want to make that clear.

I loved Vaakanainen-Jokiharju when they played together at the WJC´s. Real good chemistry and they were truly excellent together and stood out the whole tournament.
Otherwise, why not Vaakanainen-Laaksonen. If (Vaakanainen would be able to participate that is).
Well, let me put down some potential, fun and exciting pairs down below.

Lehtonen-Jokiharju
Määttä-Niemelä
Ohtamaa-Laaksonen
Salo-Pokka
Välimäki?
Friman-Saarijärvi
Lindbohm-Kaski

I´m missing some defensive strength there perhaps, would want another Ohtamaa or something, right handed for Lehtonen.
I like D´s like Lehtonen, Salo, Laaksonen, Niemelä, and also Saarijärvi but... The three latter ones, especially Laaksonen and Saarijärvi would need a stable and defensive minded D with them. Not that easy to decide in my opinion. A bit easier with the forwards.
I mean neither Laaksonen, Saarijärvi and probably Niemelä would suit Lehtonen. Not Kaski either. I would love to see Niemelä get a big role and I actually do believe he would have been good but only with a Ohtamaa or defensive minded D on his side. I don't see Ohtamaa in a first pair and therefor it becomes a bit difficult. Määttä-Niemelä perhaps? Määttä-Laaksonen?

Who would you guys want to see as D´s if you wanted to see someone new introduced in the lineup?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad