Denmark: Team Denmark 2014 Sochi Denial Thread

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Oh ****. Our captain is out for the entire Olympics. Might as well just give the spot to some rubbish East-European team :sarcasm:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yeah, blame it on the old guy because Bank lack the skill of communicating :laugh:

Nah its just me whos so old that two nicks starting with b is too much for my brain.
So you are both at fault. I will also blame bank for the financial crash because banks was involved.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Worst timing for Frans Nielsen. Having perhaps the best year and then just up to Sochi, some guy wrecks his hand. Perhaps they were so afraid of the Danish "team-captain", they wanted to decimate our chances.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Worst timing for Frans Nielsen. Having perhaps the best year and then just up to Sochi, some guy wrecks his hand. Perhaps they were so afraid of the Danish "team-captain", they wanted to decimate it our chances.

It was the 2-1 they remenber. STEFAAAAAAN LASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEN. to quote bøjgaard

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
A little non denial: How have you found the commentary on tv during this olympics? There isn't any coverage outside of the games but its nice to have a capable announcer to partner eller again. I always liked bøjgaard but last wcs commentary with werge was awful. Who is the guy this year? I dobt folloe the Danish league so havent heard him before but he really knows his hockey and its a more serious feel. Oluf is always amazing

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
A little non denial: How have you found the commentary on tv during this olympics? There isn't any coverage outside of the games but its nice to have a capable announcer to partner eller again. I always liked bøjgaard but last wcs commentary with werge was awful. Who is the guy this year? I dobt folloe the Danish league so havent heard him before but he really knows his hockey and its a more serious feel. Oluf is always amazing

I haven't seen any on TV2 yet, so I can't comment on them. But I enjoy the DR commentary. Olaf Eller is great, knowledgeable, good at explaining what he's seeing, and as impartial as can be.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I haven't seen any on TV2 yet, so I can't comment on them. But I enjoy the DR commentary. Olaf Eller is great, knowledgeable, good at explaining what he's seeing, and as impartial as can be.

I have seen tv2 only once and it was quite decent. Thomas Kristensen and Kristian Lodberg is behind the mic...Kristensen always seems to be prepared for the sports that he covers, and he seems to know the game. Lodberg is decent but I find his voice annoying.

Olaf Eller is really good at communicating the sport so that most people will be able to get it while not making it sound annoying to people who already knows the sport. He doesn't dumb it down very much but seems to be able to explain both the more basic stuff and the far more complicated in the same easy to understand manner. You are right about his impartiality..When he has commentated on denmark while Lars Eller has been playing(2010 for certain. Can't remember when Lars was in the WC other than that one) and you almost can't tell that he is talking about his son.

Great club coach too. Didn't he coach the u18 or was it u20 in their last WC too?'
It says something about the tv3 coverage of the last WC that I prefer the almost non existent DR/tv2 coverage that doesn't even show all the games and with no other coverage to the unbearable commentary by carsten werge.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
He coached the U20 team in December.

I remember that WC too. He was always referring to him as Eller and not as Lars, you wouldn't know they were family if you didn't know beforehand. I also remember the co-commentator trying to bring up the relationship between the two, but Olaf just shrugged it off and didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it.

I saw the 3rd period of Sweden-Switzerland yesterday. Kristian Lodberg seems to know his stuff, but I agree on his voice. It is very monotonous, and it's not very exiting to listen to. I am normally not a huge fan of Thomas Kristensen, but he seems to be well prepared for this and wasn't annoying, so I can probably live with him.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Yeah, blame it on the old guy because Bank lack the skill of communicating :laugh:

Hey, you managed to crack the code, so... ;)

I would put money on Frans Nielsen wearing the C at the Olympics had we been there. It be illogical any other way. It's not like it's unheard of that NHL'ers get the C. Instead I'd argue the only comparable to Green is Slovenias Razinger. And our team is simply stronger.

Green is not a "C" because he's a strong leader - he properly is - but because the Danish team the last many years have had a strong team spirit based upon a well defined hierarchic. Green's on top just like Frans would be on an Olympic squad.

Re: the commantating. Really agree with a lot being written. Saw the Russia-USA game with Thomas Kristensen and Kristian Lodberg. Thomas Kristensen has a great energy and doesn't pretend to be a hockey expert. But there sure was a lot of dead air though. He lacks the knowledge to chit-chat I think.

Kristian Lodberg simply can't get excited for the life of him :laugh: He know's his game. He does miss the score sometimes.

Hasn't heard DR this Olympics. But Olaf Eller has always been a favorite color guy of mine.

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Re: the commantating. Really agree with a lot being written. Saw the Russia-USA game with Thomas Kristensen and Kristian Lodberg. Thomas Kristensen has a great energy and doesn't pretend to be a hockey expert. But there sure was a lot of quite though. He lacks the knowledge to chit-chat I think.

Kristian Lodberg simply can't get excited for the life of him :laugh: He know's his game. He does miss the score sometimes.

Hasn't heard DR this Olympics. But Olaf Eller has always been a favorite color guy of mine.

Lodberg made some bad, bad mistakes today. Like not knowing OT is 4 on 4 and that a PP in overtime is 4 on 3, not 5 on 4. Where has he been the last 10 years? He also didn't get that the puck-out rule is for shooting the puck out of play from your own zone. Made the wrong call on penalties as well. I liked Thomas Kristensen, but since he definitely is not very knowledgeable on this particular sport, he needs a better sidekick than Lodberg.

Eller has always been a favourite of mine. He is also a lot more neutral than Danish commentators tend to be when Denmark is on the ice. I understand that is a style thing, but I much prefer a neutral style over the cheerleading style of some...

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Lodberg made some bad, bad mistakes today. Like not knowing OT is 4 on 4 and that a PP in overtime is 4 on 3, not 5 on 4. Where has he been the last 10 years? He also didn't get that the puck-out rule is for shooting the puck out of play from your own zone. Made the wrong call on penalties as well. I liked Thomas Kristensen, but since he definitely is not very knowledgeable on this particular sport, he needs a better sidekick than Lodberg.

Eller has always been a favourite of mine. He is also a lot more neutral than Danish commentators tend to be when Denmark is on the ice. I understand that is a style thing, but I much prefer a neutral style over the cheerleading style of some...

I heard the OT-PP-mistake. Didn't hear the rest. He also lost track of the score in the penalty shots. I was also missing that he didn't point out that the rules around the loose net are different interpreted in the NHL and IIHF because I got all red faced before remembering that :laugh: He has his force in the fluid play situations. Not that it's big but it's what he's got. Agree on the need for a better sidekick for Thomas Kristensen. It's also as if Thomas Kristensen some times has to tickle the explanations out of Lodberg. Other color guys have much more feeling with what needs explaining and what doesn't.

If Danish TV would only show one more hockey game - it should be commentated by Eller and Bøjgaard.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Denmark is currently trying to persuade IIHF to move all qualification to the Olympics to august so all the best players will be available for the implied nations.

article in Danish http://www.bt.dk/ishockey/danmark-kaemper-haardt-for-nhl-spillerne-i-ol-kvalifikationen

That would make much sense. im positive that we would qualify if it was best vs best.

There is a lot of talk about a world cup run by the nhl before the start of the nhl season. wonder if we would qualify. .properly not. north american thinking would probably make it top 8.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Denmark is currently trying to persuade IIHF to move all qualification to the Olympics to august so all the best players will be available for the implied nations.

article in Danish http://www.bt.dk/ishockey/danmark-kaemper-haardt-for-nhl-spillerne-i-ol-kvalifikationen

I think it's only fair that if you want best vs best, it should apply for the qualification as well.
BUT I don't think you can ever convince the NHL to released players for a qualification tournament. Just getting them to the Olympics is hard enough.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I think it's only fair that if you want best vs best, it should apply for the qualification as well.
BUT I don't think you can ever convince the NHL to released players for a qualification tournament. Just getting them to the Olympics is hard enough.

But this is pre-season. I think that would be acceptable for them. They also have an interest in promoting as many of their players as possible.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So here's a thread you bet you wouldn't see for some time...

I just heard this with half an ear, but it seems to me as a HUGE news if I heard it right. The IIHF and the NHL has agreed that NHL-players can participate in Olympic qualification in august 2016. So...

a) WE GET NHL-PLAYERS AT THE QUALIFICATION!
b) The qualification has been moved to august
c) And the qualification is two years ahead for some reason

As far as I can count we'd be in group with Norway, Austria and some other nation from below. So the Zuccarellos and Vaneks of the world would be there.

The current 9 to 18 in NHL-players per eliteprospects:

7 - Denmark(Andersen, Frans Nielsen, Boedker, Jannik Hansen, Eller, Nicklas Jensen, Regin)
5 - Germany(Goc, Greiss, Seidenberg, Holzer, Ehrhoff)
3 - Austria(Vanek, Grabner, Raffl)
2 - France(Roussel, Bellamere)
1 - Norway(Zuccarello), Belarus(Grabovski), Slovenia(Kopitar), Latvia(Girgensons)
0 - Kazakhstan, Italy

AHL:

7 - Germany
3 - Latvia
2 - Denmark
2 - Belarus
1 - Italy
1 - France

Then there's Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Draisaitl, Søberg and etc. so it's hard to contemplate exactly who gains on who but it's kinda big news. A good one for Denmark I'd think :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I just heard this with half an ear, but it seems to me as a HUGE news if I heard it right. The IIHF and the NHL has agreed that NHL-players can participate in Olympic qualification in august 2016. So...

As far as I can count we'd be in group with Norway, Austria and some other nation from below. So the Zuccarellos and Vaneks of the world would be there.

7 - Denmark(Andersen, Frans Nielsen, Boedker, Jannik Hansen, Eller, Nicklas Jensen, Regin)
1 - Norway(Zuccarello), Belarus(Grabovski), Slovenia(Kopitar), Latvia(Girgensons)
0 - Kazakhstan, Italy

AHL:

7 - Germany
3 - Latvia
2 - Denmark
2 - Belarus
1 - Italy
1 - France

Then there's Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Draisaitl, Søberg and etc. so it's hard to contemplate exactly who gains on who but it's kinda big news. A good one for Denmark I'd think :)

WOW we could never get a bigger chance for qualifying for the olympics if this becomes true! That would makes it by far the strongest roster we ever iced.

Bank: Maybe you should also include KHL players in that comparison list.....? I mean for strength assessment.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wow, that is good news!

Could be a fuuun qualification, but im not getting my hopes up, we have seen a NHL heavy Danish team dissapoint before.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

0 - Kazakhstan, Italy

AHL:

7 - Germany
3 - Latvia
2 - Denmark
2 - Belarus
1 - Italy
1 - France

However playing in the olympics remains an issue for the NHL. With the renewed World Cup coming up in 2015, NHL will be reluctant to release any players for the actual olympics. Whether this is negotiable or not the article on IIHF does not reveal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00