Denmark: Team Denmark 2014 Sochi Denial Thread

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Okay it's been building for some time, but looking in the Norwegian Olympic thread had me at the brink of depression. So what to do... Go into denial!!! :handclap: Not a word on you-know-what we managed to **** up. Only discussion on how the team would look if we had tickets to Sochi.

My first draft is looking something like this:

Goalies(x3):
Frederik Andersen, Anaheim Ducks/Norfolk, NHL/AHL, 24
Patrick Galbraith, Karlskrona, Allsvenskan, 27
Simon Nielsen, Lukko, SM-Liiga, 27

Backs(x7):
Mads Bødker, Yuzhny Ural Orsk, VHL, 26
Jesper B. Jensen, Rögle, Allsvenskan, 22
Philip Larsen, Edmonton Oilers, NHL, 24
Stefan Lassen, Graz 99ers, Erste Bank Eishockey Liga, 28
Markus Lauridsen, Lake Erie Monsters, AHL, 23
Oliver Lauridsen, Adirondanck Phantoms, AHL, 24
Daniel Nielsen, Hamburg Freezers, DEL, 33

Forwards(x13):
Patrick Bjørkstrand, Medvescak Zagreb, KHL, 21
Mikkel Bødker, Phoenix Coyotes, NHL, 23
Mads Christensen, Eisbären Berlin, DEL, 26
Lars Eller, Montreal Canadians, NHL, 24
Morten Green, Schwenninger Wild Wings, DEL, 32
Jannik Hansen, Vancouver Canucks, NHL, 27
Nicholas Hardt, Jokerit, SM-Liiga, 25
Julian Jakobsen, Hamburg Freezers, DEL, 26
Jesper Jensen, Karlskrona, Allsvenskan, 26
Nicklas Jensen, Utica Comets, AHL, 20
Morten Madsen, Hamburg Freezers, DEL, 26
Frans Nielsen, New York Islanders, NHL, 29
Peter Regin, New York Islanders, NHL, 27

On the goalie site of things the only real question mark is the thirds goalie. Simon Nielsen is a clear favorite, but it's not like he has played a lot this year. Actually just looking at eliteprospects it looks like he's just played one game for Lukko and let in 9 goals. Is that right? Either way that might spark some question whether to look other ways. Sebastian Dahm would be the safe bet if you'd want a third goalie you feel safe to use. But you could argue you'd might do more good taking Georg Sørensen. I'd also not completely rule out Peter Hirsch. In any scenario where Galbraith and Andersen isn't an option you'd look for someone to play one hell of a game. One game wonder thy name is Peter Hirsch ;) I see the argument for all three but I'd go with Simon Nielsen.

On the defensive site I'd go:

Philip Larsen-Daniel Nielsen
Jesper Jensen-Oliver Lauridsen
Stefan Lassen-Markus Lauridsen
Mads Bødker

I'm not all that into having our two right handed d-men in the same pair but seeing as they'd be our first PP-pairring and all it just seems more natural. Besides it gives us a clear cut d-pair to put into offensive zone stars when points are on the line at the end of the game.
Mads Bødker or Emil Kristensen as the last guy? I went with Bødker because of two small things. A) I think the element of mobility he could add, is an aspect to the game the others D-men could lack. So he gives the coach another tactical card on the hand. B) Presence. He's not quite veteran presence but he's been on these trips with these guys quite some times before and he's played this year in Russia. He might add some stability and calmness to a group of D-men where there's still some new faces(Lauridsens brothers and partly Jesper Jensen). His size could be a problem.

In case of more than one injury there's a whole tier of players where I'm not quite sure where I stand but just throwing some names out there: Michael Eskesen, Simon Grønvaldt, Kasper Jensen, Philip Hersby, Rasmus Nielsen, Philip Bruggisser and Mads Bech Christensen. All of this is just in the case that Jesper Duus is in fact NOT ready to play 30 min a game :sarcasm:

On the forward side:
Mads Christensen-Frans Nielsen-Mikkel Bødker(First offensive line)
Morten Madsen-Lars Eller-Jannik Hansen(Decoy shut-down/energy line)
Nichlas Hardt-Peter Regin-Julian Jakobsen(Second offensive line)
Morten Green-Patrick Bjørkstrand-Nicklas Jensen(Weird fourth line but some veteran presence, a talented sniper and a center with a good year in the KHL might do some damage)
Jesper Jensen

How to mix this in a way that makes sense? I've focused on being strong down the middle. Centers are and have earlier been a super important spot for us, and that's what hurting Patrick Bjørkstrand in this first draft. You could easily end up shuffling the cards halfway through game 1, but I see these lines fitting somewhat with what I've heard described as this new philosophy of the team with more heavy forechecking and more speed.

There's also the element, that I'd really like to create some lines that were obvious to throw out in the last minutes of the game(Eller-line D-zone starts, Frans Nielsen-line O-zone stars) without having to rearrange the lines for the purpose.

Jesper Jensen over Frederik Storm and Morten Poulsen? Well I'm going completely on numbers this year and past experiences.

Ehlers, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Kim Staal(It's never off the table - you know it! :laugh: ), Kiril Starkov, Lasse Lassen, Anders H. Poulsen, Felix Scheel, Jannik Karvinen, Steffen Frank, Thomas Spelling, Nicolai Meyer and Morten Andreasen could be brought in the the conversation as reserves.

Team Canada had 6 official reserves last time around so here's Team Denmarks:
Sebastian Dahm, Emil Kristensen, Mads Bech Christensen, Morten Poulsen, Jesper Jensen and Kim Staal.

Preliminary roster would include those mentioned above and no one else. I'm not a big believer of bringing in young guys that might become a part of the teams future. That "might" has to be out of the question before I'd risk the "noise" and lower quality in training in exchange for investing in experience for a future player.

This is here and now, so nothing to guess about. Who would you pick - and in which lines would you pick? Today. Right now. Go! Or just, you know... just poor out your thoughts of imaginary problems, unreal decisions or fictional dilemmas for this hypothetical Olympic team. As the saying goes: Never let a good discussion be ruined by reality or facts! ;)

(Jebus that felt good to get off the chest :laugh: )

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Simon Nielsen is a clear favorite, but it's not like he has played a lot this year. Actually just looking at eliteprospects it looks like he's just played one game for Lukko and let in 9 goals. Is that right? Either way that might spark some question whether to look other ways.
One full game, plus one period.

He had a game in pre-season where he let in six. Then he was sidelined for a couple of months and brought back in late October. Then he let in three in the first period of his regular season debut, was pulled and has been warming Lukko's bench since.

My advice? Look for those other options.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Okay it's been building for some time, but looking in the Norwegian Olympic thread had me at the brink of depression. So what to do... Go into denial!!! :handclap: Not a word on you-know-what we managed to **** up. Only discussion on how the team would look if we had tickets to Sochi.

My first draft is looking something like this:

Goalies(x3):
Frederik Andersen, Anaheim Ducks/Norfolk, NHL/AHL, 24
Patrick Galbraith, Karlskrona, Allsvenskan, 27
Simon Nielsen, Lukko, SM-Liiga, 27

Backs(x7):
Mads Bødker, Yuzhny Ural Orsk, VHL, 26
Jesper B. Jensen, Rögle, Allsvenskan, 22
Philip Larsen, Edmonton Oilers, NHL, 24
Stefan Lassen, Graz 99ers, Erste Bank Eishockey Liga, 28
Markus Lauridsen, Lake Erie Monsters, AHL, 23
Oliver Lauridsen, Adirondanck Phantoms, AHL, 24
Daniel Nielsen, Hamburg Freezers, DEL, 33

Forwards(x13):
Patrick Bjørkstrand, Medvescak Zagreb, KHL, 21
Mikkel Bødker, Phoenix Coyotes, NHL, 23
Mads Christensen, Eisbären Berlin, DEL, 26
Lars Eller, Montreal Canadians, NHL, 24
Morten Green, Schwenninger Wild Wings, DEL, 32
Jannik Hansen, Vancouver Canucks, NHL, 27
Nicholas Hardt, Jokerit, SM-Liiga, 25
Julian Jakobsen, Hamburg Freezers, DEL, 26
Jesper Jensen, Karlskrona, Allsvenskan, 26
Nicklas Jensen, Utica Comets, AHL, 20
Morten Madsen, Hamburg Freezers, DEL, 26
Frans Nielsen, New York Islanders, NHL, 29
Peter Regin, New York Islanders, NHL, 27

On the goalie site of things the only real question mark is the thirds goalie. Simon Nielsen is a clear favorite, but it's not like he has played a lot this year. Actually just looking at eliteprospects it looks like he's just played one game for Lukko and let in 9 goals. Is that right? Either way that might spark some question whether to look other ways. Sebastian Dahm would be the safe bet if you'd want a third goalie you feel safe to use. But you could argue you'd might do more good taking Georg Sørensen. I'd also not completely rule out Peter Hirsch. In any scenario where Galbraith and Andersen isn't an option you'd look for someone to play one hell of a game. One game wonder thy name is Peter Hirsch ;) I see the argument for all three but I'd go with Simon Nielsen.

On the defensive site I'd go:

Philip Larsen-Daniel Nielsen
Jesper Jensen-Oliver Lauridsen
Stefan Lassen-Markus Lauridsen
Mads Bødker

I'm not all that into having our two right handed d-men in the same pair but seeing as they'd be our first PP-pairring and all it just seems more natural. Besides it gives us a clear cut d-pair to put into offensive zone stars when points are on the line at the end of the game.
Mads Bødker or Emil Kristensen as the last guy? I went with Bødker because of two small things. A) I think the element of mobility he could add, is an aspect to the game the others D-men could lack. So he gives the coach another tactical card on the hand. B) Presence. He's not quite veteran presence but he's been on these trips with these guys quite some times before and he's played this year in Russia. He might add some stability and calmness to a group of D-men where there's still some new faces(Lauridsens brothers and partly Jesper Jensen). His size could be a problem.

In case of more than one injury there's a whole tier of players where I'm not quite sure where I stand but just throwing some names out there: Michael Eskesen, Simon Grønvaldt, Kasper Jensen, Philip Hersby, Rasmus Nielsen, Philip Bruggisser and Mads Bech Christensen. All of this is just in the case that Jesper Duus is in fact NOT ready to play 30 min a game :sarcasm:

On the forward side:
Mads Christensen-Frans Nielsen-Mikkel Bødker(First offensive line)
Morten Madsen-Lars Eller-Jannik Hansen(Decoy shut-down/energy line)
Nichlas Hardt-Peter Regin-Julian Jakobsen(Second offensive line)
Morten Green-Patrick Bjørkstrand-Nicklas Jensen(Weird fourth line but some veteran presence, a talented sniper and a center with a good year in the KHL might do some damage)
Jesper Jensen

How to mix this in a way that makes sense? I've focused on being strong down the middle. Centers are and have earlier been a super important spot for us, and that's what hurting Patrick Bjørkstrand in this first draft. You could easily end up shuffling the cards halfway through game 1, but I see these lines fitting somewhat with what I've heard described as this new philosophy of the team with more heavy forechecking and more speed.

There's also the element, that I'd really like to create some lines that were obvious to throw out in the last minutes of the game(Eller-line D-zone starts, Frans Nielsen-line O-zone stars) without having to rearrange the lines for the purpose.

Jesper Jensen over Frederik Storm and Morten Poulsen? Well I'm going completely on numbers this year and past experiences.

Ehlers, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Kim Staal(It's never off the table - you know it! :laugh: ), Kiril Starkov, Lasse Lassen, Anders H. Poulsen, Felix Scheel, Jannik Karvinen, Steffen Frank, Thomas Spelling, Nicolai Meyer and Morten Andreasen could be brought in the the conversation as reserves.

Team Canada had 6 official reserves last time around so here's Team Denmarks:
Sebastian Dahm, Emil Kristensen, Mads Bech Christensen, Morten Poulsen, Jesper Jensen and Kim Staal.

Preliminary roster would include those mentioned above and no one else. I'm not a big believer of bringing in young guys that might become a part of the teams future. That "might" has to be out of the question before I'd risk the "noise" and lower quality in training in exchange for investing in experience for a future player.

This is here and now, so nothing to guess about. Who would you pick - and in which lines would you pick? Today. Right now. Go! Or just, you know... just poor out your thoughts of imaginary problems, unreal decisions or fictional dilemmas for this hypothetical Olympic team. As the saying goes: Never let a good discussion be ruined by reality or facts! ;)

(Jebus that felt good to get off the chest :laugh: )

Great denial thread Bank. As I said when we failed the Olympic Qualification it will feel so bad when Danish television only shows Curling from the Olympics, when we could have had a full time hockey. In the European Curling Championship the men and Women managed both to get 4'th places - so typically Danish playing well in the preliminaries and then go down when medals are on the line.

About the goalies. Andersen is clear first, and Galbraith clear second. Simon Nielsen was second last year, but has fallen a lot by not playing. So should it be Dahm, Sørensen or Hirsch instead? Actually I could see the point for Hirsch. His veteran presence might be good since the 3'rd goalie likely wont play at all and if he has to, you would want a veteran that can withstand the pressure. Hirsch is a gamble, since he is so uneven; but if it is his night he is a wall.

About the d-paring. Philip Larsen + Daniel Nielsen would be two small d-men together. In Olympics I would pair a smaller and bigger d-man together to avoid being overpowered.
A) What about Philip Larsen + Oliver Lauridsen as first pairing.
B) Daniel Nielsen + Markus Lauridsen as second.
C) Stefan Lassen + Jesper B Jensen as third pair.
D) Mads Bødker as 7'th to play numerous fill in (even as forward).

For the forward line: The first three centers are given Frans Nielsen, Lars Eller & Peter Regin. Perhaps I would give fourth center to either Julian Jacobsen or Morten Green? Open up Patrick Bjørkstrand as a right wing?
For left wings I would have both Morten Madsen and Nichlas Hardt as playing better than Mads Christensen at the moment.

1) Nichlas Hardt - Frans Nielsen - Mikkel Bødker [with Nichlas Hardt going to the net, Mikkel Bødker with the speed and Frans Nielsen as passer?]

2) Mads Christensen - Lars Eller - Jannik Hansen [Eller and Hansen give power to Mads Christensen being a lightweight winger]

3) Morten Madsen - Peter Regin - Patrick Bjørkstrand [should be good defensively and also give some offense]

4) Morten Green - Julian Jakobsen - Kim Staal [veteran fourth line].
13'th Forward: Nicklas Jensen (since he has not form, but he might find it)

As for 4 reserves forwards: Jesper Jensen (C), Frederik Storm (LW), Morten Poulsen (RW), Kirill Starkov [Both Nikolaj Ehlers and Oliver Bjørkstrand might be to young yet, but I could argue that they could also be added as two of the reserves]
As for 2 reserve defenders: Emil Kristensen and Kasper Jensen [A big guy to throw in on the lines if needed].
I don't think we need a fourth goalie as reserve?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
As I said when we failed the Olympic Qualification it will feel so bad when Danish television only shows Curling from the Olympics, when we could have had a full time hockey. In the European Curling Championship the men and Women managed both to get 4'th places - so typically Danish playing well in the preliminaries and then go down when medals are on the line.

As much as I want to start a discussion about the rest... The above is just the sad truth and a small portion of us Danes will have to pull our hair out during the useless transmissions of some ski shooting or curling(Honestly, would anybody watch it if that Dupont-girl wasn't remotely pretty?)

I'd go to Vegas with you Justinov :laugh: Would I go to Sochi with you? :scared:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
You guys will have a killer team in Korea-Ehlers,Hansen,Bodker,Eller,Nielsen,Bjorkstrand.So when you feel down just think of Korea :D im sure you wont make the same mistake twice!

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Now I am feeling even more depressed not going to Sochi. Just look at our team at the moment!!! :(

If any of us ten years ago had said that this was what our team would have looked like today the rest would have argued that you were ready for a mental institution. I am proud of what danish have become and what have been achieved for the very limited resources they have access to. Just imagine what we could be in the future if hockey gets an advertising platform like the Olympics.

The ridicolous 16-20 rinks we have in our country. The assets provided from the local counties compared to football, handball, badminton etc makes me sad.
Therefor it is a bitter pill to swallow that they were not able to qualify for 2014. Had the lockout just lasted another month we would have been there, no doubt in my mind about that. And the local counties could no longer reject the building of another 10-15 rinks. I mean, seriously Roskilde, Køge, Næstved, Hillerød, Svendborg, Kolding, Vejle, Viborg, Randers, all cities with a population above 50k could easily have their own rink. Every small city above 500 in population has a sports/community center for all of the above mentioned sports.

I played in Rødovre some 30 years ago and already back then there was a buzz about hockey in Rødovre and the rink was filled with players all hours of the day. They have been forced to turn away young kids for decades because there is no icetime for them. Some of them probably had the opportunity to go to Hvidovre or Herlev, but I cant help thinking how many of them have given up and started to play football or other sports instead. I took up volleyball instead and eventually ended up on the national team, so its not like I wasnt serious about my sport.

Back to the subject, the Olympics could have been that one event that could open some eyes in the country for the future.

The team stands for itself. What it could have achieved is hard to imagine. Besides Slovenia and Norway I think the rest of the participating countries is being reinforced the same way Denmark would have been, but at least we could have given them a hell of a fight for the points and maybe even a surprise here and there. Personally I am blown away by the standards and if we continue to progress like this we might be able to take up the challenge securing a spot in the lower tier with Norway, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia.

I dont have many changes for your team suggestions. Maybe I would give O. Bjorkstrand and Ehlers a shot as a reserve and at least have them with the team so they wouldnt be totally noobs in 2018. In fact I would do this every year also for the WC. Have a few youngsters in your team that could soak up some of what is expected of them in the future, so they get the hang of it.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
That team:bow:

I will officially join the Hirsch pick. He is very inconsistent but boy does he step up sometimes. I would actually take Sørensen if not Hirsch, only to give him the experience and make him a part of the team early in his career. I know that did a lot for some of our established players when they were the green.

I like the Jensen/Ollie pairing. Ollie really played his heart out at the WC.

Now I am feeling even more depressed not going to Sochi. Just look at our team at the moment!!! :(

If any of us ten years ago had said that this was what our team would have looked like today the rest would have argued that you were ready for a mental institution. I am proud of what danish have become and what have been achieved for the very limited resources they have access to. Just imagine what we could be in the future if hockey gets an advertising platform like the Olympics.

The ridicolous 16-20 rinks we have in our country. The assets provided from the local counties compared to football, handball, badminton etc makes me sad.
Therefor it is a bitter pill to swallow that they were not able to qualify for 2014. Had the lockout just lasted another month we would have been there, no doubt in my mind about that. And the local counties could no longer reject the building of another 10-15 rinks. I mean, seriously Roskilde, Køge, Næstved, Hillerød, Svendborg, Kolding, Vejle, Viborg, Randers, all cities with a population above 50k could easily have their own rink. Every small city above 500 in population has a sports/community center for all of the above mentioned sports.

I played in Rødovre some 30 years ago and already back then there was a buzz about hockey in Rødovre and the rink was filled with players all hours of the day. They have been forced to turn away young kids for decades because there is no icetime for them. Some of them probably had the opportunity to go to Hvidovre or Herlev, but I cant help thinking how many of them have given up and started to play football or other sports instead. I took up volleyball instead and eventually ended up on the national team, so its not like I wasnt serious about my sport.

Back to the subject, the Olympics could have been that one event that could open some eyes in the country for the future.

The team stands for itself. What it could have achieved is hard to imagine. Besides Slovenia and Norway I think the rest of the participating countries is being reinforced the same way Denmark would have been, but at least we could have given them a hell of a fight for the points and maybe even a surprise here and there. Personally I am blown away by the standards and if we continue to progress like this we might be able to take up the challenge securing a spot in the lower tier with Norway, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia.

I dont have many changes for your team suggestions. Maybe I would give O. Bjorkstrand and Ehlers a shot as a reserve and at least have them with the team so they wouldnt be totally noobs in 2018. In fact I would do this every year also for the WC. Have a few youngsters in your team that could soak up some of what is expected of them in the future, so they get the hang of it.

Volleyball is an AWESOME sport btw. Especially indoor volleyball. I don't see the fascination with beach volley.....Well, I guess there are a few attractions when it comes to womens beach volley but thats a another matter.

You guys will have a killer team in Korea-Ehlers,Hansen,Bodker,Eller,Nielsen,Bjorkstrand.So when you feel down just think of Korea :D im sure you wont make the same mistake twice!

What mistake? Losing to norway? Because thats not a mistake. Its a habit. At least when it means something

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I totally agree with your post. It's quite a miracle what Danish youth coaches have achieved with quite little material. Basically the team we have now are largely Herning+Rødovre. The good thing is that now other clubs are also producing youth prospects, so it does like promising in term of depth. It's hard to say if we keep producing first round picks (it's actually quite mindboggling, that we after 2014 draft - if Ehlers is selected in first round - have had 4 first rounders from 2007-2014 as a very small hockey nation).

If we just could get more rinks in more provincial towns. All the towns you name are candidates, but when Vojens can do it with 7.666 people you could add many many more.
It is extremely obvious outside of Greater Copenhagen, there are no rinks at all on the rest of Sjælland, Lolland, Falster & Møn.
Roskilde, Slagelse, Næstved, Helsingør would certainly cover a lot more ground east of the "great belt" and from there it might spread to some smaller towns.
But Rødovre having to turn so many kids away from hockey because of the lack of rink-time is quite depressing.
You turning to volleyball probably meant one less TALL guy on the hockey NT :D.
I guess you ended up playing in Holte, since they were totally dominant in former times.

The point is the people seriously interested in sports probably will make a career in whatever sport they end up with. It's a competition between the sports for the talents. It's not that a person is only a talent in hockey......if not playing hockey they will likely be a talent in whatever other sport they decide.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I guess you ended up playing in Holte, since they were totally dominant in former times.

No, I got my debut on the national team in the age of 17, the youngest ever to play a match as a senior. Then I started in highschool and found more interesting things like beer and humping girls and my days as an elitevolleyballplayer stopped immediately :)

Looking back, probably not the smartest move and I would have loved a professional career in Italy or France. But who can say no to some booty when you are young and restless?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
That team:bow:

I will officially join the Hirsch pick. He is very inconsistent but boy does he step up sometimes. I would actually take Sørensen if not Hirsch, only to give him the experience and make him a part of the team early in his career. I know that did a lot for some of our established players when they were the green.

I like the Jensen/Ollie pairing. Ollie really played his heart out at the WC.

Volleyball is an AWESOME sport btw. Especially indoor volleyball. I don't see the fascination with beach volley.....Well, I guess there are a few attractions when it comes to womens beach volley but thats a another matter.

What mistake? Losing to norway? Because thats not a mistake. Its a habit. At least when it means something

No i meant the mistake of not qualifiying for Olympics.:laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
No, I got my debut on the national team in the age of 17, the youngest ever to play a match as a senior. Then I started in highschool and found more interesting things like beer and humping girls and my days as an elitevolleyballplayer stopped immediately :)

Looking back, probably not the smartest move and I would have loved a professional career in Italy or France. But who can say no to some booty when you are young and restless?

:laugh: very impressive, but also a waste for danish volleyball (less waste for the girls I reckon :sarcasm:).
well I did the "veteran move" and started up Lacrosse in Denmark and got to play on the national team that way. Sadly only for a few years, when the body was feeling too old and worn for serious practice and full time job also got in the way.

I quitted field hockey as a teen where I had real talent, but I could never focus on one sport. So when I was handed the ultimatum to practice several day a week or being thrown of the 1'st squad I quitted in anger. Actually did that both in handball & field hockey as well as playing badminton and doing chess & karate. I was offered a spot in Badminton to train 4-times a week, but turned it down :shakehead. I thought it totally unacceptable that I should lose a spot to a worse player, since I did do sport all days in the week, so it wasn't because of bad form.
I wanted to play all the sports at the same time :laugh:
I played Volleyball for my Gymnasium Team and met Virum where the team was full of Holte players, so that was the end of it :laugh: while our Basketball team became Nordic Champions, but I have always hated Basketball because you can't tackle like in Handball. [The feeling of body tackling/pushing a guy going for the lay-up is worth being send off :laugh:]

Probably not that clever a choice for a sports career........but I have played mostly everything possible (except ice hockey :laugh: - never could afford the equipment).

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Hello Denmark :D

Nice looking roster there. Actually you could have had a pretty decent team, a lot of players in good leagues. Olympics should consider to expand to 16 teams.

Hopefully both Norway and Denmark can establish themselves as Switzerland-like teams in the future.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Hello Denmark :D

Nice looking roster there. Actually you could have had a pretty decent team, a lot of players in good leagues. Olympics should consider to expand to 16 teams.

Hopefully both Norway and Denmark can establish themselves as Switzerland-like teams in the future.

We can only hope so, but I doubt it, since the Olympics already struggle with to many participants.
Switzerland is rising so fast that it is unlikely that Norway and Denmark can rise to that level. But securing a place 9-12 on the WC ranking for the future seems more realistic.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

Didn't know where to put it, but I guess this is the closest to a National Team thread as we'll get. If these two facts has escaped others than me:

A) Mads Bødker has moved to Düsseldorff in the DEL?! Been there seens mid December. A step up from the VHL I've got my league rankings right.

B) Despite Mads Christensen, Julian Jakobsen and Mads Christensen getting 1st line duties Morten Green is the highest scoring Dane in that league. I though that man was slowly fading out.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Didn't know where to put it, but I guess this is the closest to a National Team thread as we'll get. If these two facts has escaped others than me:

A) Mads Bødker has moved to Düsseldorff in the DEL?! Been there seens mid December. A step up from the VHL I've got my league rankings right.

B) Despite Mads Christensen, Julian Jakobsen and Mads Christensen getting 1st line duties Morten Green is the highest scoring Dane in that league. I though that man was slowly fading out.

Yeah Morten Green is having a great season, which is very good for the Olympics (denial) and WC!
About the Danish forwards in Europe it's only Morten Green and Jesper Jensen that is doing better than expected production wise.
I had expected more goals from Morten Madsen (but still good production) whereas Frederik Storm & Morten Poulsen in Allsvenskan and Julian Jakobsen & Mads Christensen in DEL are doing below expectations.
Nichlas Hardt is doing fine, since he is still the best best goalscorer on a Jokerit team that has been struggling this season.
Patrick Bjørkstrand is doing great as a defensive PK specialist forward in KHL.

But it seems we need some influx from NHL and KHL

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
The latest NT-team:

Goalies:
Patrick Galbraith, Simon Nielsen

Backs:
Phillip Bruggisser, Mads Bødker, Bjørn Uldall, Simon Grønvaldt, Rasmus Nielsen, Emil Kristensen, Jesper B. Jensen, Anders Overmark

Forwards:
Frederik Storm, Patrick Bjorkstrand, Lasse Lassen, Kim Staal, Morten Madsen, Thomas Spelling, Anders Poulsen, Morten Poulsen, Jesper Jensen, Morten Andreasen, Steffen Frank, Mads Christensen.

My first thoughts went to the choice of Simon Nielsen over Sebastian Dahm. Georg Sørensen I believe is with the U19-team at the time in question and the lack of Morten Green. Injury? NT stop I forgot? Julian Jakobsen is also missing. Will be interested to find out why.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The latest NT-team:

Goalies:
Patrick Galbraith, Simon Nielsen

Backs:
Phillip Bruggisser, Mads Bødker, Bjørn Uldall, Simon Grønvaldt, Rasmus Nielsen, Emil Kristensen, Jesper B. Jensen, Anders Overmark

Forwards:
Frederik Storm, Patrick Bjorkstrand, Lasse Lassen, Kim Staal, Morten Madsen, Thomas Spelling, Anders Poulsen, Morten Poulsen, Jesper Jensen, Morten Andreasen, Steffen Frank, Mads Christensen.

My first thoughts went to the choice of Simon Nielsen over Sebastian Dahm. Georg Sørensen I believe is with the U19-team at the time in question and the lack of Morten Green. Injury? NT stop I forgot? Julian Jakobsen is also missing. Will be interested to find out why.

i dont get picking Nielsen over Dahm. ..i could see the logic at the wc because of the experience factor but dahm should get a chance now.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
i dont get picking Nielsen over Dahm. ..i could see the logic at the wc because of the experience factor but dahm should get a chance now.

I totally agree. Simon Nielsen has only played 2 finnish league matches with a SVS of 81,5%, so not very impressive and he must be quite rusty.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
While still in denial:
Denmark lost a training match 3-4 to Kazakhstan. Anders Poulsen, Thomas Spelling and Fredrik Storm scored. Earlier we won 3-2 over Austria with goals from Kim Staal, Jesper Jensen and Steffen Frank. The lost 4-1 to France with goal by Anders Poulsen.
Beside the NT the youth teams have been busy lately.

The U-16 team won 4-3 over Norway.
The U-17 lost 2-4 to Slovakia, but then beat Switzerland 2-0 and ended up losing 5-3 to Germany.
The U-18 won 3-1 over Belarus and lost 3-2 to Norway.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
While still in denial:
Denmark lost a training match 3-4 to Kazakhstan. Anders Poulsen, Thomas Spelling and Fredrik Storm scored. Earlier we won 3-2 over Austria with goals from Kim Staal, Jesper Jensen and Steffen Frank. The lost 4-1 to France with goal by Anders Poulsen.
Beside the NT the youth teams have been busy lately.

The U-16 team won 4-3 over Norway.
The U-17 lost 2-4 to Slovakia, but then beat Switzerland 2-0 and ended up losing 5-3 to Germany.
The U-18 won 3-1 over Belarus and lost 3-2 to Norway.

Kim Staal should be picked for the national squad as long as he continues playing. That man just scores...

The loss against Kazakhstan is just weak.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Goes to show how useless these games are. Beat the Olympic team than fall to Kazaksthan and completely fail against France. I really, really, really, really don't hope Karlsson's aiming at results like this.

Just to give you a view of the Danish schedule at the Olympics:

We open against Russia. That's properly a big loss. Then we take on Slovakia. They're hurting without Visnovsky and Gaborik. We could make an upset here. Then Team USA. Good record against them but I hold no hope at all.

3 of the old top 7. Half the most serious medal candidates. Tough group :(

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You guys really need to remember, that those teams had 4 U20 Debutants, aswell as 9 injuries from Euro based players.

That was very far from a complete team, and also with a new coach. So inspite of that, they did ok.

Im more concerned about the U18 loosingto Norway. These guys are playing the ELITE WC in 2 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00