Denmark: Team Denmark 2014 Sochi Denial Thread

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
However playing in the olympics remains an issue for the NHL. With the renewed World Cup coming up in 2015, NHL will be reluctant to release any players for the actual olympics. Whether this is negotiable or not the article on IIHF does not reveal.

I thought about the same but decided I had nothing relevant to be said.... so let me say something about it fast :D

Jiggles aside... I'm unsure if this is to be taken as a sign that the NHL itself thinks it will be sending its players or we're heading towards the comical scenario where NHL-players can qualify their countries to the Olympics but not play there. That would be something.

Justinov> The thought crossed me mind, but as soon as I opened the next browser I thought: 2016 is a long time away. And Elitserien, SM-Liiga and even the DEL should be counted also... And Kazakhstan and the KHL would have some nuances being they have a lot of lower line players whereas Danes, Norwegians etc would be top line foreigners. That seemed like a lot - All in good time ;) :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I thought about the same but decided I had nothing relevant to be said.... so let me say something about it fast :D

Jiggles aside... I'm unsure if this is to be taken as a sign that the NHL itself thinks it will be sending its players or we're heading towards the comical scenario where NHL-players can qualify their countries to the Olympics but not play there. That would be something.

Justinov> The thought crossed me mind, but as soon as I opened the next browser I thought: 2016 is a long time away. And Elitserien, SM-Liiga and even the DEL should be counted also... And Kazakhstan and the KHL would have some nuances being they have a lot of lower line players whereas Danes, Norwegians etc would be top line foreigners. That seemed like a lot - All in good time ;) :)

Yeah still a lot can happen until 2016.
The scenario you mention would be utterly ridiculous :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Strongest possible Team Denmark right know:

Mikkel Bødker - Frans Nielsen - Lars Eller
Jannik Hansen - Peter Regin - Nicklas Jensen
Nichlas Hardt - Mads Christensen - Patrick Bjorkstrand
Frederik Storm - Jesper Jensen - Felix Maegaard Scheel
Morten Madsen

Philip Larsen - Jesper Jensen
Markus Lauridsen - Oliver Lauridsen
Stefan Lassen - Emil L. Kristensen
Daniel Nielsen

Frederik Andersen
Patrick Galbraith

Imo, this team could take medal in World Championship.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

Morten Madsen

Daniel Nielsen

Frederik Andersen
Patrick Galbraith

i doubt we would medal even with that that teamm but this is ofcourse the denial thread. I would find space for ehlers in the line up. I know he is not a third liner but I would rather play him on the second line and put Jensen or hansen on the third.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
i doubt we would medal even with that that teamm but this is ofcourse the denial thread. I would find space for ehlers in the line up. I know he is not a third liner but I would rather play him on the second line and put Jensen or hansen on the third.

Put Ehlers on first line instead of Eller and make a NHL third line. My suggestion:

Bødker - Nielsen - Ehlers
Storm - J. Jensen - Hardt
Hansen - Eller - N. Jensen
O. Bjorkstrand - Regin - P. Bjorkstrand
M. Christensen

Same D and goalies as above

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Put Ehlers on first line instead of Eller and make a NHL third line. My suggestion:

Bødker - Nielsen - Ehlers
Storm - J. Jensen - Hardt
Hansen - Eller - N. Jensen
O. Bjorkstrand - Regin - P. Bjorkstrand
M. Christensen

Same D and goalies as above

That looks really interesting. that lineup would really excite me. There are a lot of goals in all those lines.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Morten Madsen

Daniel Nielsen

Frederik Andersen
Patrick Galbraith

Unfortunately, I doubt this squad would have any hope at medaling. Sure, it's a great team for Denmark, but they'd be going up against teams like Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Switzerland, USA and Slovakia. All of these teams have far more depth than that of Denmark and would be able to role third and fourth lines that are comparable in skill to that of Denmark's top line. I think they could make it to quarter finals and fluke their way into a bronze medal game like Germany has done in the past, but they are highly unlikely to medal.

This team would be more-so in the same realm as Germany, Belarus, Norway or Latvia. A good team with some good NHL players, but really lack the high-end depth of the top 8 teams.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Unfortunately, I doubt this squad would have any hope at medaling. Sure, it's a great team for Denmark, but they'd be going up against teams like Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Switzerland, USA and Slovakia. All of these teams have far more depth than that of Denmark and would be able to role third and fourth lines that are comparable in skill to that of Denmark's top line. I think they could make it to quarter finals and fluke their way into a bronze medal game like Germany has done in the past, but they are highly unlikely to medal.

This team would be more-so in the same realm as Germany, Belarus, Norway or Latvia. A good team with some good NHL players, but really lack the high-end depth of the top 8 teams.

I disagree, Denmark have gone to the QF With a far worse team. I dont Think they would medal. But to say teams like Switzerland, and Slovakia Could Roll 3rd 4th Lines as strong as this 1st Line is underselling Denmark just a tad. I would Say that this lineup would be a step above anything Norway, Germany, Belarus and Latvia Could putup, With Latvia being the closet comparable. Without Their strengest lineup they are defo in the same realm though.

Denmark have beaten the big 8 teams With a much much weaker lineup, incl. A 6-0 thrashing of Slovakia.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

I agree with most of your points. However we are still building and in my opinion we are above Belarus and Norway with our current full strength roster and on par with Latvia. Maybe Latvia have more depth than us and we have a couple more NHL players than them.

Our problem will always be that our depth is not strong enough and the minute our NHL players are not available for playing on the NT we do not have the sufficient depth to deliver a strong team. Hopefully this will change in the future with more players go abroad, get some valuable experience and maybe com back to Europe once they figure out they dont quite have what it takes to get in to the majors.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
A combined Skåne/Denmark team looks good:

Bödker - Nielsen - Marcus Johansson
Burakovsky - Eller - Söderberg
P.Bjorkstrand - Regin - Hansen
Hardt - Sjögren - Thuresson

Hersley - Lindholm
Jens Olsson - Larsen
M.Lauridsen - Peter Andersson

Andersen
Alsenfeldt

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
It's a denial thread - so then it's just “Swedish occupied East Denmark“.

André Burakovsky would like the rest of his family certainly also qualify as Scanian. [Shame he chose to play for Sweden :sarcasm:]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad