WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
so canada has to win in regulation against finland and hope germany/latvia goes to OT to advance?
If Kazakhstan doesn't beat Norway in regulation, Canada can get in by beating Finland in regulation.

If Kazakhstan does beat Norway in regulation, then Canada must beat Finland and Germany-Latvia must be tied after regulation.

Edit: Canada may also get in with an OT win over Finland if KAZ loses to NOR (regulation or OT) and GER-LAT goes to OT, but I haven't done all the tie-breaking math to determine how exactly.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
If Kazakhstan doesn't beat Norway in regulation, Canada can get in by beating Finland in regulation.

If Kazakhstan does beat Norway in regulation, then Canada must beat Finland and Germany-Latvia must be tied after regulation.

Edit: Canada may also get in with an OT win over Finland if KAZ loses to NOR (regulation or OT) and GER-LAT goes to OT, but I haven't done all the tie-breaking math to determine how exactly.

They’d only win the tie-break against Kazakhstan.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
They’d only win the tie-break against Kazakhstan.
I meant the possible three-way tie at 11 points between KAZ-CAN-LAT/GER.

If it's a three-way tie at 12 points between the same countries, then KAZ will be the one out of the final round.

Edit: It actually doesn't matter whether it's a tie at 11 points or 12 points, because they would still look at the exact same games - GER-LAT wouldn't affect the subgroup as it can't become a four-way tie anymore.

So if Kazakhstan loses the ongoing game, no matter how, CAN gets in if they beat Finland, no matter how.

Last edited:
Reactions: L13

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Oh baby Canada is still alive, now we need to beat Finland and we are in, wow I would never imagine that after our first 3 games, the addition of Mangiapane made all difference!!! GO CANADA GO!!

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
A W in regulation or OT gets them in right? Looks like a game I might finally catch.
If either Latvia or Germany wins their game in regulation tomorrow, that team would go through because the first tie-breaker is head-to-head games, and Canada lost both.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If either Latvia or Germany wins their game in regulation tomorrow, that team would go through because the first tie-breaker is head-to-head games, and Canada lost both.

Yeah that team would go through but the other would be out. So actually AFAIK a W or OTW = Canada is in regardless of GER-LAT.

USA: 18 (they won't lose to Italy)
FIN: 16 (OTL vs Canada)
GER/LAT: 11 (OTW)
CAN: 11 (OTW)
---
KAZ: 10
GER/LAT: 10 (OTL)

I think even if Canada gets 1 point via an OTL tomorrow, they could be in. So long as GER-LAT ends in regulation:

USA: 18
FIN: 17 ( OTW vs Canada)
GER/LAT: 12 (regulation win)
CAN: 10 (OTL vs Finland, tiebreaker win over KAZ)
---
GER/LAT: 9 (regulation win)

A straight regulation win and they could even place third in the group, with no idea who'd they face with the current standings of Group A. A straight regulation loss and they are obviously out.

weird stuff after losing three straight to start the tournament.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I've been posting since Canada was 0 for 3 that I think they'll make it. Just have to beat Finland. Then I got reply after reply telling me I'm wrong. Well... Beat Finland and you are and on a 4 game win streak and a collsion course with Russia which will be amazing. Good luck tomorrow

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Another scenario is :

If Canada goes to a tie with the Kazakhs they are ahead of them as they have the tie breaker.

If Canada loses in OT they get one pt = 10 pts total and ties them with the Kazakhs.

If either Germany or Latvia win in regulation, then I think Canada is in and the Kazakhs and the other loser of the that game is out. The loser team ends up with 9 pts total.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Yeah that team would go through but the other would be out. So actually AFAIK a W or OTW = Canada is in regardless of GER-LAT.

USA: 18 (they won't lose to Italy)
FIN: 16 (OTL vs Canada)
GER/LAT: 11 (OTW)
CAN: 11 (OTW)
---
GER/LAT: 10 (OTL)

I think even if Canada gets 1 point via an OTL tomorrow, they could be in. So long as GER-LAT ends in regulation:

USA: 18
FIN: 17 ( OTW vs Canada)
GER/LAT: 12 (regulation win)
CAN: 10 (OTL vs Finland, tiebreaker win over KAZ)
---
GER/LAT: 9 (regulation win)

A straight regulation win and they could even place third in the group, with no idea who'd they face with the current standings of Group A. A straight regulation loss and they are obviously out.

weird stuff after losing three straight to start the tournament.
All true. I don't say this often, but I was mistaken.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

yeah i didnt factor kazakhstan into the equation. looks like canada got a big break today with kazakhstan losing and only need to win now to get into the quarters.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
As it is, this tournament will play havoc with the rankings. Sweden finishing 9th?

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
So thanks to Norway we're still in this tournament. Be a shame to waste their good effort. Looks like Czechboy was right all along. So, essentially - the elimination games start 1 game earlier then usual. To beat Finland I think a couple of the ten or so guys who've contributed nothing need to appear on the scoresheet (in a positive way). I assume Keumper will get the start but I'd have a short leash. I kind of wonder if being an NHL starter Hockey Canada more or less guarantees he'll get the nod. Anyway, hopefully he plays well. If we somehow manage a lead in the 3rd I'd keep Comtois glued to the bench.

Reactions: Czechboy

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Worst roster ever + terrible game plan = disaster. To even make the knockout stage at this point we would have to sweep Italy, Norway and Kazakhstan and probably take points from Finland. I’m not even sure they will beat Kazakhstan.

Well, I was wrong.

Do we think Canada adds guys or no?

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
P.S

I WANTED TO SEE THESE GUYS IN IIHF WORLDS!
My version

Goalie?) I DONT KNOW)

Benn-Giroux-Seguin
Kane - Couturier-Reinhart
Horvat -O’Reilly-Brown
Comtois- Couture--Konecny
Bunting

Chabot-Doughty
Burns-tSmith
Giordano-Tanev
Walker

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
P.S

I WANTED TO SEE THESE GUYS IN IIHF WORLDS!
My version

Goalie?) I DONT KNOW)

Benn-Giroux-Seguin
Kane - Couturier-Reinhart
Horvat -O’Reilly-Brown
Comtois- Couture--Konecny
Bunting

Chabot-Doughty
Burns-tSmith
Giordano-Tanev
Walker

Welcome Bear, the notification that you showed up warmed the cockles of my heart. I nominate Bear12Good for team Canada GM 2022.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Not very optimistic going against ROC in the 1/4. Reminds me of the Leafs in a game 7, you know the outcome but watch it anyway.

Henrique doing a pretty good job wearing the C. Leading the tournament in scoring, scores the critical shorty against Norway, scores in the shootout, not bad.

Reactions: Faterson

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
My scenario in post #311 yesterday called it.

Canada made it in through the back door channel like the Oslo peace accord. (Don't involve the Americans)

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Needed a couple of lucky bounces to pull them into the quarters. It's good to be lucky. They'll need to play out of their minds tomorrow, and hope for some more luck in order to move on.

But my expectation before the tournament started was quarters and then a flight home. Don't see any reason for that to change. Hope they play well and it's something of a nail-biter, something resembling a Canada -Russia classic, a close and entertaining game... and whatever happens - happens.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Honestly is a good reward for having everything go their way in spite of bumbling it up while controlling their own destiny (losing OT to Finland). Norway over Kazakhstan and Germany over Latvia in regulation. I'd be happy getting to watch a Canada-Russia game after a year of no senior men's international hockey as long as it's not a ROC blowout by period 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad