WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Imagine if they had relegation this year. Luongo and Gallant might as well not come home.

Obviously kidding but this really shows that Hockey Canada needs to have a top to bottom "philosophy" for national team, something other than to out-talent everyone.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Norway looked tired at the end of the Finland game. That should make it a bit easier for Canada tomorrow. So win now or never lol.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This is a hell of a team board.. I really think everyone should be forced to have a Flag on their profile pic so it is clear who's fighting with who. I'm a bit sad to see all the non Canadians go in and talk shit after the first 3 games. I'm all for a friendly fly by but wow.

I still think that the Semi's will be the same nations (maybe one outsider) and that Canada can go on a roll. Look at Sweden today.. before that game it was clear Switzerland was better and Sweden was struggling.. a touchdown later.

My point? Don't put too much stock in the first few days. I imagine the Canucks flew in, were shipped to a hotel room for 3 days of video games and then had to play a very motivated few nations.

The best part of this tournament was that there were no blowouts and nothing but close games. That's great!

As a massive fan of the 'Skoda Cup' I don't think much can be read into this tourney.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Maybe Canada would be better off by adding some more of the KHL / European based players to the initial roster, rather than these bottom half / borderline NHLers - and then spice it up with whatever top-end players who becomes available from the play-offs as usual? Just a though.
Maybe. But Mangiapane is a top6 winger tho.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I still think that the Semi's will be the same nations (maybe one outsider) and that Canada can go on a roll. Look at Sweden today.. before that game it was clear Switzerland was better and Sweden was struggling.. a touchdown later.

You only need to do the math to see how hard it will be for Canada to climb back.

1. Canada is at 0 points now.
2. Canada can have max 12 points, because they have 4 games left.

Group B currently:
--------
1. Germany - 9 points
2. Latvia - 7 points
3. Finland - 7 points
4. USA - 6 points
---------

3. Even if Canada ties Latvia or Germany or even 3 way tie with these 3 teams, Canada is always last because they lost to both of those teams. Tie with USA = USA has win over Canada as well.
4. Canada has to beat Finland and very well could be that OT won't be enough.

Canada has 3 weakest teams of the group + Finland left, so 9 points for Canada before Finland game is very possible.

Based on who the current top-4 teams are facing in the remaining games, it seems very likely to me that if Finland and USA aren't choking, Latvia is the one that Canada has to pass in order the qualify.

Germany will most likely reach 12 points. They need just 1 more win and Germany will face KAZ, LAT, FIN, USA.

Last edited:

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
I just would like to mention that I think some of the comments are a bit harsh on this team. Yes, these guys are NHL calibre but they arrive and meet a bunch of guys they've never played with, have a couple of practices, no warm-up games and then are playing high intensity games against motivated opponents. Even NHL calibre skills, these guys aren't cookie cutter, good coaches understand players strengths & weaknesses and position them where they can be productive. Here, different story, they're often asked to do something different. Because they are NHL calibre, they can and will adjust, but it takes time. This year the talent isn't exceptional but these are decent players and they will adopt. If they manage to survive to the medal round I think they could be a factor...like to see a rematch against the US

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You only need to do the math to see how hard it will be for Canada to climb back.

1. Canada is at 0 points now.
2. Canada can have max 12 points, because they have 4 games left.

Group B currently:
--------
1. Germany - 9 points
2. Latvia - 7 points
3. Finland - 7 points
4. USA - 6 points
---------

3. Even if Canada ties Latvia or Germany or even 3 way tie with these 3 teams, Canada is always last because they lost to both of those teams. Tie with USA = USA has win over Canada as well.
4. Canada has to beat Finland and very well could be that OT won't be enough.

Canada has 3 weakest teams of the group + Finland left, so 9 points for Canada before Finland game is very possible.

Based on who the current top-4 teams are facing in the remaining games, it seems very likely to me that if Finland and USA aren't choking, Latvia is the one that Canada has to pass in order the qualify.

Germany will most likely reach 12 points. They need just 1 more win and Germany will face KAZ, LAT, FIN, USA.
I love math! I was just looking at the Czech chances.lol

We will see. I personally think that Finland game is going to be quite meaningful on the last day of the round robin. I think a lot will happen on that last day of the round robin to be honest.

Reactions: Mestaruus

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
I love math! I was just looking at the Czech chances.lol

We will see. I personally think that Finland game is going to be quite meaningful on the last day of the round robin. I think a lot will happen on that last day of the round robin to be honest.
I like math as well. My bookie is paying 16 times the money for Norwegian victory. I know Canada is Canada, but a team that has three losses against Latvia, USA and Germany - that is kind of generous? If they use tournament history as guidance, as I tend to think they do, Canada should have swept Germany by that logic.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
One more way to look at Canada's situation:

If Germany beats KAZ in today's game. 12 points = unreachable for Canada. My feeling is that Germany takes 3 points today despite of Kazakhstan's strong tournament start.

USA. 6 points now but they have Italy to play and sorry but that is +3 points for USA. So they are really at 9. So USA only needs 1 win or 3 points from one of the 3 remaining teams they will face which are LAT, NOR and GER. That would be unreachable for Canada at 12 points.

Finland. 7 points now but they also have Italy to play. Same story. +3 points for Finland. So Finland at 10 points. Finland needs to be at 13 points to be unreachable for Canada, because they haven't played Canada yet. So being at 10 points, they need 1 win or 3 points from the remaining 3 opponents: GER, LAT or CAN. Not impossible for Finland to choke against all 3 teams, but unlikely.

Latvia is Canada's best chance. They have 7 points now. No Italy to face anymore. USA, NOR, FIN and GER to play. Canada should pray that Latvia doesn't reach 12 points after those 4 games and even then Canada has to beat Finland in regulation probably and also take full points from their other remaining opponents.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
One more way to look at Canada's situation:

If Germany beats KAZ in today's game. 12 points = unreachable for Canada. My feeling is that Germany takes 3 points today despite of Kazakhstan's strong tournament start.

USA. 6 points now but they have Italy to play and sorry but that is +3 points for USA. So they are really at 9. So USA only needs 1 win or 3 points from one of the 3 remaining teams they will face which are LAT, NOR and GER. That would be unreachable for Canada at 12 points.

Finland. 7 points now but they also have Italy to play. Same story. +3 points for Finland. So Finland at 10 points. Finland needs to be at 13 points to be unreachable for Canada, because they haven't played Canada yet. So being at 10 points, they need 1 win or 3 points from the remaining 3 opponents: GER, LAT or CAN. Not impossible for Finland to choke against all 3 teams, but unlikely.

Latvia is Canada's best chance. They have 7 points now. No Italy to face anymore. USA, NOR, FIN and GER to play. Canada should pray that Latvia doesn't reach 12 points after those 4 games and even then Canada has to beat Finland in regulation probably and also take full points from their other remaining opponents.
So Latvia has to beat the US, Finns and Germans - 3 of the top teams in the pool.
Canada has to beat Italy, Norway and Kazakhistan.

I get the standings look bad today but let's see how they look going into that final day.

Back to calculating if my Czechs can make it if the Swedes beat us 7-0 tomorrow.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
three losses against Latvia, USA and Germany
I feel like people are burying a team too soon here. So Canada lost against the top 3 teams in the pool. 4 teams advance. If they lose to Norway today I'll change my tune but I still think (and won't be changing my mind) that the Finland game will be a big deal on the last day. Let's see how they do against Norway today. Few more practices, pissed off and under pressure. Let's see if I have a bad take in a few days.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Hi guys, what is going on at this year's worlds why is it that the top clubs have so much difficulty scoring goals??? Is it because of the lack of quality players? Whats your take its been a weird tournament so far.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So Latvia has to beat the US, Finns and Germans - 3 of the top teams in the pool.
Canada has to beat Italy, Norway and Kazakhistan.

I get the standings look bad today but let's see how they look going into that final day.

Back to calculating if my Czechs can make it if the Swedes beat us 7-0 tomorrow.lol

And KAZ just beat GER on regulation... That helped Canada probably. I should've wrote something about KAZ advancing scenarios as they have Italy to play and would imagine that they will beat Italy, since KAZ has 3 wins.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

I guess I was wrong about Hockey Canada adding players this late. Good for Andrew for answering the call. A decent enough player. Should help out over the next 4 games. I think it may be a little too late to make a 1/4 final game.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
And KAZ just beat GER on regulation... That helped Canada probably. I should've wrote something about KAZ advancing scenarios as they have Italy to play and would imagine that they will beat Italy, since KAZ has 3 wins.
I was about to write something.lol

I'm not referring to you specifically but a lot of people are seeing the standings after 3 games and thinking that Latvia and Germany will be in the finals for Gold. I still think things will normalize a little over the next few days. I still think there are 7 nations that can win Gold here. Canada is one of them.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Hi guys, what is going on at this year's worlds why is it that the top clubs have so much difficulty scoring goals??? Is it because of the lack of quality players? Whats your take its been a weird tournament so far.

Biggest thing is lack of quality players due to Covid, which resulted in bubble jail conditions and maybe some players don't want the disease or they are just tired with the weird season and want it to be over.

Also the preparation for some teams in terms of warm up games and camps are shorter. There are more reasons than that but those are the biggest reasons IMO.

Reactions: therealdeal

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I was about to write something.lol

I'm not referring to you specifically but a lot of people are seeing the standings after 3 games and thinking that Latvia and Germany will be in the finals for Gold. I still think things will normalize a little over the next few days. I still think there are 7 nations that can win Gold here. Canada is one of them.

I personally thought that things normalized for KAZ and they would start losing, but no, they lost to USA but kept on winning...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Guys, it’s just one of those years. There is no one to be mad at, they’re out there doing their best, they’re just not that skilled.

Aside from the US, where I think we looked really tense, we’ve totally outplayed our opponents. Our puck possession is good, they’re having to adjust to a completely different ice surface, which changes the game significantly.

It’s a good year to appreciate the tournament, you need talent to win and score. Most of the time we’re still competing for the gold.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I personally thought that things normalized for KAZ and they would start losing, but no, they lost to USA but kept on winning...
If Kazakhs start losing then Canada starts winning.. you can't normalize half the teams.haha

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Guys, it’s just one of those years. There is no one to be mad at, they’re out there doing their best, they’re just not that skilled.

Aside from the US, where I think we looked really tense, we’ve totally outplayed our opponents. Our puck possession is good, they’re having to adjust to a completely different ice surface, which changes the game significantly.

It’s a good year to appreciate the tournament, you need talent to win and score. Most of the time we’re still competing for the gold.

I think that this is the right way to view it. Credit to the guys that showed up and I have to guess that they'll get rewarded with a few wins before this is finished. We know why the team is the way it is due to covid and this is the IIHF WC. Some people will still find something to enjoy from the games, or specific players to follow, and that's good. Some won't and that's fine.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think that this is the right way to view it. Credit to the guys that showed up and I have to guess that they'll get rewarded with a few wins before this is finished. We know why the team is the way it is due to covid and this is the IIHF WC. Some people will still find something to enjoy from the games, or specific players to follow, and that's good. Some won't and that's fine.
The biggest tragedy of this tournament is that the building wasn’t PACKED with Latvian fans when they beat Canada.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There’s just too many players doing absolutely nothing on this roster... only guys who actually look good/have positive influences are like, Ferraro, Power, Stetcher, Henrique, Mangiapane, Brown, and Comtois. Everyone else is just straight up bad. And the guys who are good aren’t even guys you want at the top of your roster.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Canada has a 1 in 4 chance of getting 12 points.

If they do get those 3 regulation wins, they have to hope
a) Kazakhstan loses a point vs. Italy or Norway (50% chance of that happening)
b) Latvia does not get more than 4 points vs. Norway, USA, Finland and Germany

So the chances for Canada aren't very good. Less than 1 in 10.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The current situation:
----------
9 GER
7 LAT
7 FIN
7 KAZ
--
6 USA
3 CAN

If we consider ITA & NOR free wins. So 3 points each time (which is the wrong way to think, but
I'm going to do that anyways). So add 3 points to each team that didn't face ITA or NOR yet.
Then we get:
-----------
13 KAZ
12 USA
10 FIN
10 LAT
--
9 GER
6 CAN - 2 more games left - they can reach 12 points. They are eliminated if they get 0 points vs FIN.

The point of this is to see approximately where each team lands. Note that these teams still
would have more games to be played, so that isn't the final standing. Just added points for teams
who didn't face ITA or NOR yet. It gives a better estimation on how much Canada has to do in order
to qualify. It also shows that Germany isn't in the best possible situation anymore after that
KAZ loss. LAT vs GER game is huge in the final day probably. Probably just 1 of GER and LAT will be in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The current situation:
----------
9 GER
7 LAT
7 FIN
7 KAZ
--
6 USA
3 CAN

If we consider ITA & NOR free wins. So 3 points each time (which is the wrong way to think, but
I'm going to do that anyways). So add 3 points to each team that didn't face ITA or NOR yet.
Then we get:
-----------
13 KAZ
12 USA
10 FIN
10 LAT
--
9 GER
6 CAN - 2 more games left - they can reach 12 points. They are eliminated if they get 0 points vs FIN.

The point of this is to see approximately where each team lands. Note that these teams still
would have more games to be played, so that isn't the final standing. Just added points for teams
who didn't face ITA or NOR yet. It gives a better estimation on how much Canada has to do in order
to qualify. It also shows that Germany isn't in the best possible situation anymore after that
KAZ loss. LAT vs GER game is huge in the final day probably. Probably just 1 of GER and LAT will be in the playoffs.

This estimation is also based on the belief that USA or Finland don't loose many points vs GER and/or LAT.
It is too early to count points, but what we do know is that Canada needs 12 points and 11 likely won't suffice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad