WC: Team Canada 2024

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There is a difference between KHL, NLA and SHL players over Liiga players also. Call it an excuse if you want but the roster this year is shit. (Obviously we dont have KHL players anymore and that should be the case for everyone. There is one finn playing in the KHL and i hope he never comes back home, and even if he does he will never play in the national team and most likely not in our national league either.)

Im pretty sure if every player was available you could make at least 100 rosters of Team Canada before having a player on the same level as Pekka Jormakka or Jesper Mattila or Rasmus Rissanen or well you get the point.

In fact i think you could make 200 rosters of Canadian players before you would even consider picking Juha Jääskä.

Edit: if Canadian fans cry and say "it's not best on best". Let me cry when this Team Finland is finally like not the b-roster, or c or d, but the e-roster
you can do that, but of course you either get it done or you don't.

Reactions: Summer Rose

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Considering Finland was playing for their playoff lives and Canada had just played the likes of Austria, Norway and Great Britain, it’s not surprising that the Finns came out with more intensity.

But once the initial flurry was over, Canada outscored Finland 4-1 and did what was necessary to win.

Another good stepping stone for Canada, rallying twice for the win against a team that needed it a lot more than they did.

I didn’t expect an easy win and it wasn’t, but it was a solid comeback and the Canadians didn’t panic even down in the game which is good to see.

They also killed the 3 min PP which was probably the turning point of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: garbageteam

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The Finns really understand that ice and work together well, as usual for the Finns. I’m not sure that game style is conducive to high end talent taking risks and the offensive side of the puck as much, so even the talented guys tend to play a different role, which often results in some quick strike goals, like the 3rd Finnish goal.

Finns always bring it, respect for the Finns, always.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Crappy rosters have won this tournament before. Finland in particular has done this. It exposes the tournament in a way, but for a viewing experience it means that you cannot completely rule some teams out even if there is a big gulf in talent. Canada outplayed Finland overall today and has a significantly better roster, but Finland could beat Canada if they played again in a knockout game.

It's also having your cake and eating it too to disregard a roster because it is poor and then get that much louder if the team does win. Happens in every sport.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Swim from 1 until 2. Come home and watch the game. Should be a good one. The game will make Sunday better.

Can you believe the NFL pre-season is only 75 days away. LOL. Where does the time go?

Reactions: jj cale

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
Now that Byram is out of the lineup for the game against Switzerland, who will be the QB on PP2? Power or Parayko? Has anyone seen the lines from practice?

EDIT: If there was any practice as this is a back to back game...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Now that Byram is out of the lineup for the game against Switzerland, who will be the QB on PP2? Power or Parayko? Has anyone seen the lines from practice?

EDIT: If there was any practice as this is a back to back game...
They should give Zellweger a run.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
throwback

2004 World Championship Gold Medal Lineup
Brenden Morrow - Daniel Brière - Dany Heatley
Jeff Friesen - Patrice Bergeron - Justin Williams
Ryan Smyth - Shawn Horcoff - Rob Niedermayer
Matt Cooke - Brendan Morrison - Glen Murray
Jean-Pierre Dumont

Jay Bouwmeester - Scott Niedermayer
Eric Brewer - Steve Staios
Nick Schultz - Derek Morris
Willie Mitchell

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
throwback

2004 World Championship Gold Medal Lineup
Brenden Morrow - Daniel Brière - Dany Heatley
Jeff Friesen - Patrice Bergeron - Justin Williams
Ryan Smyth - Shawn Horcoff - Rob Niedermayer
Matt Cooke - Brendan Morrison - Glen Murray
Jean-Pierre Dumont

Jay Bouwmeester - Scott Niedermayer
Eric Brewer - Steve Staios
Nick Schultz - Derek Morris
Willie Mitchell
Very good team, would win gold here this year.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We complain about the PP and it comes alive at just the right time!

Who stood out? I see Tanev has really emerged as a solid foot soldier.
Tanev, Dubois and Johhny T for me.........Binnington had a solid game too.

P.P clicked today, we will have to get on Bedards case now, he is struggling and we really need his offense, we would be a much more dangerous team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Tavares line was again too much for the opposing defencemen to handle. Cozens was the best player, scoring twice and being solid defensively. Outside of the last ten minutes of the first period Canada controlled Switzerland very well at even strength. I liked Parayko far more in this game than in any other.

Cozens had a crappy season this past year and looked pretty lazy whenever I saw him. He's always been good for Canada though and he's talented and versatile. Unless he's atrocious next year I'd at least invite him to the Olympic team camp next summer. Best case scenario and he copies MacKinnon, who didn't really become the MacKinnon that we know until he dominated the 2017 iihf world championship following a disappointing regular season. Cozens won't be as good as MacKinnon is but he could be a well rounded, toolsy point per game forward in the NHL if things break the right way.

This Canadian team has a clear identity and strength, and it is dominating down near the other team's net. Not sure how well it will work against Sweden or USA but it works against the other teams. What the team really needs is more of a dynamic threat to complement the domination down low. Ideally that's what Bedard would do. It hasn't been there recently though, and as soon as he had more space during the short 4 on 4 he gave up a bad penalty shot. He hasn't been the coaching staff's focus the way Crosby and McDavid were at 18 (and to be fair he isn't as good as they were) but the team could really use his skillset. I like the idea of the line from today (McCann Paul Bedard) but it isn't ideal that Paul was the clear best player on the line. The coaching staff needs to figure out a way to get a few more opportunities for Bedard and then he needs to capitalize.

Reactions: NyQuil

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The other pool is easy to predict - unless there are some INSANE upsets...

Sweden will no doubt finish 1st.
The U.S. will finish 2nd.
The Germans 3rd.
Slovakia 4th.

So, as Canadians, who do we want to play?

* Unless we lose in regulation against Czechia, we get Slovakia.
* If we lose to Czechia is regulation, we get Germany.

Last edited:

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
The other pool looks easy to predict - unless there are some INSANE upsets...

Sweden will no doubt finish 1st.
The U.S. will finish 2nd.
The Germans 3rd.
Slovakia 4th.

So, as Canadians, who do we want to play?

* Unless we lose in regulation against Czechia, we get Slovakia.
* If we lose to Czechia is regulation, we get Germany.
whoever wants sum

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Time to start examining who’s improved their chances for the Olympic team from this tournament and whose stock has declined.

Gotta think Cozens has given himself a shot for 2026. Tavares too. Maybe Tanev if they’re looking for an energy guy. I’d think Guhle’s stock has gone up too, although maybe not enough.

Assuming Bedard is considered a lock, I’m thinking Canada has to be thinking about being careful who goes on his line: someone whose offensive attributes are complementary, but who have enough defensive strengths to overcome the sloppiness in his own end - although, yeah, he’s got some time to work on that part of his game.

• Love
Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Time to start examining who’s improved their chances for the Olympic team from this tournament and whose stock has declined.

Gotta think Cozens has given himself a shot for 2026. Tavares too. Maybe Tanev if they’re looking for an energy guy. I’d think Guhle’s stock has gone up too, although maybe not enough.

Assuming Bedard is considered a lock, I’m thinking Canada has to be thinking about being careful who goes on his line: someone whose offensive attributes are complementary, but who have enough defensive strengths to overcome the sloppiness in his own end - although, yeah, he’s got some time to work on that part of his game.
^ Good post. ^

I think we're all a little surprised how ineffective Bedard has been. Of course, he's 18 but...

Tavares amazes me. I just don't understand why he, and the other Leafs, can't perform in the playoffs - but that's for another thread.

I agree, Cozens has been terrific. His stock has really risen. Big kid, too. That's never a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad