WC: Team Canada 2024

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Worst case scenario for this team, there is zero chemistry at all between any of the players. No one is providing puck support, no one has any composure with the puck, no one is understanding how to use the size of the ice surface and no one is making the simple play. These games have been ugly.

Hope they bring it together for the end of this game and the next game, but it looks bad out there.

Reactions: jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Worst case scenario for this team, there is zero chemistry at all between any of the players. No one is providing puck support, no one has any composure with the puck, no one is understanding how to use the size of the ice surface and no one is making the simple play. These games have been ugly.

Hope they bring it together for the end of this game and the next game, but it looks bad out there.

I think they played pretty well against a very determined and motivated opponent. It's a jump from the earlier competition in the tournament.

Came back down 2-0 and 3-2.

PP is the most concerning element at this stage.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've really been impressed with Cozens. I've always felt he disappointed so far in his career but, perhaps like MacKinnon, he will be a late bloomer and do great things.

I think they played pretty well against a very determined and motivated opponent. It's a jump from the earlier competition in the tournament.

I hope they lose one game in the RR. It will be for the best.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

How do you feel about Binnington at this stage?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The power play is concerning at this point. I'm not sure that the right guys are in the right positions. Hopefully something clicks.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've really been impressed with Cozens. I've always felt he disappointed so far in his career but, perhaps like MacKinnon, he will be a late bloomer and do great things.

I hope they lose one game in the RR. It will be for the best.

Disappointed so far in his career? So far he's had a typical rookie year...an excellent year and a mediocre/bad year.
Disappointment is a bit harsh

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's been pretty key for those defensive zone faceoffs.

It was funny to hear the announcers talking about guys improving their game at the WCs and then bringing up Dubois.

He's a bit ponderous at times but his size and strength have been very effective.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
TBH, he's been great. :)

I am off for a swim, boys. Then cut the grass. Then Church - see you ALL there!

Have a great day. :)

I begin my long sojourn back to Canada from Maui today. No more Western Conference playoff games in the afternoon for me.

Which is too bad because Round 2 has been epic. Hopefully it continues.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The PP problems are the symptom. The real issue is a lack of cohesion. Maybe too many line combinations? Tourigny needs to sort that piece out.

Reactions: therealdeal

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The PP problems are the symptom. The real issue is a lack of cohesion. Maybe too many line combinations? Tourigny needs to sort that piece out.

When you see a really good PP, you've got a guy out there that defenders are afraid to go after (e.g. McDavid, Marner, Stutzle, Kucherov) because their stickhandling and skating create time and space and allow for odd-man situations.

As it is, our guys can just move the puck around and all it takes is a pass that is slightly off target and the defender is on them and the advantage is neutralized.

I think Bedard is the best guy for that job. To be honest, who else on the team is a really good stickhandling and puck possession fiend who can QB the PP?

I think the idea was to have the D do it (e.g. Byram, Power, Zellweger etc.) but you really need that half-boards guy to run it IMO.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The fact Canada is being challenged here is good for the RR. When we sleepwalk through it is when we've had some unfortunate bounces in the QFs in the past. Glad it's Switzerland and Czechia for the next two instead of Denmark and GB.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fact Canada is being challenged here is good for the RR. When we sleepwalk through it is when we've had some unfortunate bounces in the QFs in the past. Glad it's Switzerland and Czechia for the next two instead of Denmark and GB.

The Czechs are starting to look strong, and with Necas and probably Pastrnak coming over, they are going all in on the home ice.

Switzerland is always a tough opponent, and we have them on a back to back after a pretty physical game, so it's a good ramping up of the competition.

I don't think we quite have the talent to run over the opposition, and that means we'll need the PP to work and Binnington to be strong in the elimination games.

On the plus side, we have a very heavy team that can cycle very well against the opponent, reminds me a bit of the Kings in their prime.
We're not exactly speedy in transition. On most breakouts, the opposition gets back well enough, so our best play is the dump, chase and cycle.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
When you see a really good PP, you've got a guy out there that defenders are afraid to go after (e.g. McDavid, Marner, Stutzle, Kucherov) because their stickhandling and skating create time and space and allow for odd-man situations.

As it is, our guys can just move the puck around and all it takes is a pass that is slightly off target and the defender is on them and the advantage is neutralized.

I think Bedard is the best guy for that job. To be honest, who else on the team is a really good stickhandling and puck possession fiend who can QB the PP?

I think the idea was to have the D do it (e.g. Byram, Power, Zellweger etc.) but you really need that half-boards guy to run it IMO.
The elements are mostly there. The team is too stationary but that's a consequence of being thrown together two weeks ago. Bedard isn't really a power play weapon yet and needs to work on his one timer, but his wrist shot is the most respected weapon Canada has. Put Bedard on the left flank and I think McCann, left shooting and a well rounded offensive player, on the right side. Tavares is smart and can play the bumper role and there is no shortage of players on this team who can play down low, so let's say someone like Dubois.

The question to me is who the defenceman should be. Canada's seven defencemen combined for exactly 0 power play goals in the NHL this year. Power had the most power play assists with 6, so if the coaching staff is hoping for a power play general on the back end that's a pretty stupid idea. I'd roll with Severson out of the available options, since he at least has had success on the power play earlier in his career and because as a RHD he'll have better angles to get the puck to Bedard on the left side.

Regardless I jut hope that they get a unit that works. It can be ugly but it needs to score.

Reactions: jj cale and NyQuil

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Opinions by a finnish dude after the game:

Expected easier win for Team Canada over very weak Team Finland (we have 2 NHL players, 4 if you want to count Puustinen and Puljujärvi as NHL players), but who cares if they get the job done i guess.

One thing that caught my eye is how slow and honestly just bad Parayko was when Finland played the dump and chase. More often than not he had the time and space to make a easy first pass, but took his time handling the puck and sometimes even lost it to what i would call a weak forecheck. I will admit i havent seen many Blues games in recent lets say 2 years, but that game made me worried that he has 5 more years at 6.5mil AAV? He looked sometimes like his both thumbs are broken (which obviously is not the case since he came to this tournament), and missed the easiest one touch passes in the d-zone but maybe im just overthinking. Would love to hear opinions by Canadian fans of his play.

On another note, at least some Finnish players have said that the ice is really bad, especially along the boards so maybe it's just that.

Edit: opinions by Canadian fans, not Canadiens fans hahah

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Expected easier win for Team Canada over very weak Team Finland (we have 2 NHL players, 4 if you want to count Puustinen and Puljujärvi as NHL players), but who cares if they get the job done i guess.

One thing that caught my eye is how slow and honestly just bad Parayko was when Finland played the dump and chase. More often than not he had the time and space to make a easy first pass, but took his time handling the puck and sometimes even lost it to what i would call a weak forecheck. I will admit i havent seen many Blues games in recent lets say 2 years, but that game made me worried that he has 5 more years at 6.5mil AAV? He looked sometimes like his both thumbs are broken (which obviously is not the case since he came to this tournament), and missed the easiest one touch passes in the d-zone but maybe im just overthinking. Would love to hear opinions by Canadian fans of his play.

On another note, at least some Finnish players have said that the ice is really bad, especially along the boards so maybe it's just that.

Parayko hasn't been very good. He's tried to do too much with the puck on his stick, but really that was less of an issue in this game than it has been in others.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Not sure how valid this is, since Finland has won gold at this thing in the past against all nhl'ers with no nhl'ers and that fact was proclaimed loudly by Finnish fans, a point of pride in how their hockey was so good.

All of a sudden it's an excuse? I don't buy it.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Not sure how valid this is, since Finland has won gold at this thing in the past against all nhl'ers with no nhl'ers and that fact was proclaimed loudly by Finnish fans, a point of pride in how their hockey was so good.

All of a sudden it's an excuse? I don't buy it.
There is a difference between KHL, NLA and SHL players over Liiga players also. Call it an excuse if you want but the roster this year is shit. (Obviously we dont have KHL players anymore and that should be the case for everyone. There is one finn playing in the KHL and i hope he never comes back home, and even if he does he will never play in the national team and most likely not in our national league either.)

Im pretty sure if every player was available you could make at least 100 rosters of Team Canada before having a player on the same level as Pekka Jormakka or Jesper Mattila or Rasmus Rissanen or well you get the point.

In fact i think you could make 200 rosters of Canadian players before you would even consider picking Juha Jääskä.

Edit: if Canadian fans cry and say "it's not best on best". Let me cry when this Team Finland is finally like not the b-roster, or c or d, but the e-roster

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad