WC: Team Canada 2024

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This has to be the most pessimistic Canadian thread EVER - and that's saying a lot...

1714750443716.png

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Last year they announced the first 20 players on the roster this day. (One week before the Worlds start). So Im guessing they will do the same today.

As for players, im really not so optimistic about the players yet to be "confirmed" via media. Usually media picks op on the big players going. But hopefully the Isles-bunch will show up.
Seems to me about a year ago, we were all weeping and wailing and gnashing our teeth about the fact that they hadn't announced the team yet.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Seems to me about a year ago, we were all weeping and wailing and gnashing our teeth about the fact that they hadn't announced the team yet.
Of course. There is always a reason to be pessimistic in the Canadian thread.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Of course. There is always a reason to be pessimistic in the Canadian thread.
Well, im not pessimistic. Just realistic in terms of getting "star"-players the media has not picked up.

Last year the "not known names" in the final roster was Blais, Glass, Barron, Laughton, Krebs,.Neighbours etc. With Middleton and Carcone coming a few days later.

Hopefully Isles will give something, then its very good all around. Still better this year that last year already, and we all know what happened then 🥇

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I was initially worried about the lack of pessimism in this thread.
Oh no... There is nothing but pessimism here.

As I've said before, it could be the Harlem Canadian GlobeTrotters vs the Washington Generals and all of the Canadian posters at HF would be crying, "I don't like our chances. We're gonna get killed!!!"

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Oh no... There is nothing but pessimism here.

As I've said before, it could be the Harlem Canadian GlobeTrotters vs the Washington Generals and all of the Canadian posters at HF would be crying, "I don't like our chances. We're gonna get killed!!!"
Maybe I was making a joke there about pessimism and maybe that joke wasn't that funny.

And that just makes me sad.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Maybe I was making a joke there about pessimism and maybe that joke wasn't that funny.

And that just makes me sad.
It is what it is.

I have been at HF for a long time and before EVERY tournament (Olympics, World Cup, World Juniors, World Championships) the U.S. fans are so optimistic. You read things like, "I love this team", "This team is coming together nicely", "This may be our best team ever".

In the Canadian thread, all you ever read is "This team sucks", "I cannot believe how bad we've become as a hockey nation", "The U.S. is so much better than we are".

EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT!!! You can set your watch by it. Again, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Great99

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think i'm being pessimistic, i'd just like to know who is going to be on our team, especially since most other teams are close to being finalized.

Seems reasonable to me, after all it's Friday and we play a game on Sunday.

Reactions: Francis10

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think i'm being pessimistic, i'd just like to know who is going to be on our team, especially since most other teams are close to being finalized.

Seems reasonable to me, after all it's Friday and we play a game on Sunday.
I didn't mean you, JJ, or any other Canadian poster. I meant as a group.

Oh well... At this point, WE are who WE are.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm way more pessimistic than anyone here. Also, way less competitive. Fight me.
Oh yes, that's what we need...

A competition to see who is the most pessimistic of the pessimistic Canadian fans. I can think of a few front runners but I'll keep that to myself. (smile)

I am off for a swim - wash all this negativity away. :)

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Maybe they want to announce the roster together with the team photo, the names of the C and As and so on. And since the team probably isn't meeting all together earlier than at the Vienna airport, they are just waiting for the first practice in Vienna. It was exactly the same last year. Canada usually has quite a relaxed approach. They know they have as many as 7 games in the group stage to make things work, that's comfortably enough time for players of their class.

Reactions: Czechboy

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
When do they fly overseas? I mean, they are to play in exactly 48 hours. With jetlag etc I guess they are going today or early morning tomorrow at latest?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Oh yes, that's what we need...

A competition to see who is the most pessimistic of the pessimistic Canadian fans. I can think of a few front runners but I'll keep that to myself. (smile)

I am off for a swim - wash all this negativity away. :)
Swim in ur bathtub?

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Canada has already held its first training session in Vienna, I went to the Instagram of the Austrian Hockey Federation, they published the training of the national team there.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

It is almost impossible to see the faces of the players...
must we become instagram people to know who is in training camp? This should be on Hockey Canada's website but as badly run as that thing has always been of course it's not.

What a rudderless ship that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad