Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yea, with so many great 2 way players and PKers already on the team, I dont think we need any role players. Dont overthink things and just pick the best.

Team Canada's PK will consist of:

Bergeron/Marchand
Marner/Couturier

Statically, The best PK pairings of any team in the tourney.
Why Marner I'd rather go Stone/ couts.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This past season, here are his 5v5 REL rankings (out of the 95 Dmen to play at least 800 minutes this season):

TOI: 3rd highest out of 95
Corsi: 9th best out of 95
Shot differential: 3rd best out of 95
Expected goal differential: 9th best out of 95
Scoring Chance differential: 6th best out of 95
High Danger Chance Differential: 5th best out of 95

Doughty was certainly one of the the most valuable players to his team in the NHL.
This is all Greek to me. :(

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not sure why some posters are breaking up Sid-Bergeron-Marchand.

In a short tournament, it is so difficult to find chemistry. We have a line that oozes it and people want to break it up.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
This is all Greek to me. :(

REL numbers are basically how much better (or worse) your team is with you on the ice vs the other players. I didnt list the numbers (it gets even more confusing) just how he ranked in the league.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's not complicated. When another team plays the Islanders they put their best defenders against Barzal. Because he is their best offensive player. Marner does not have the same match-ups. The opposition first plans to play against Matthews. Thanks for the advanced stats. Means nothing. Simply have to be able to understand the sport to understand this simple premise. You just put Marner in the same category as McDavid and Crosby. Haha. YIKES.

Mark Stone actually shows up in the playoffs. Marner still has never played on a team that has won a round. Guys ghost and belongs no where near team Canada.

This is a false trail. Marner’s playoff production has been better than Stone’s.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What does Horvat bring that guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Marchand, Stone, Couturier, O'Reilly not bring already?

It would be one thing if the entire roster was made up of perimeter, offensive players and you needed a splash of grit/defense/physicality. But there's already an abundance of those things without having to use a spot on a guy like Horvat, IMO.

I’m making an educated guess/prediction about what the Team Canada brass MIGHT do. I have a feeling they are going to to bring someone who isn’t the obvious choice of just being the highest point producer (such as a Marner), and bring a guy who will bring a bit more sandpaper. Someone in the mould of a Horvat or Schenn or someone else who can play that style of gritty, energy kind of game. I’m not sure who that player is and I think a lot of it will be based on how guys start the season, so Horvat is somewhat of a placeholder for me.

But I think they’re going to build this team with the mindset of winning a dirty, gritty Cup final type of game, and not just pick the guys someone would pick for an all star game. Maybe I’m right, maybe not. I’m just throwing it out there because traditionally Team Canada management has always done that, and it’s still a lot of those old school guys in management.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
As a Leaf fan, I find that hard to believe.

We need some weight on the team. Bring Stone.

Both are locks so I wouldn't need worry there.

Here are playoff points/game among notable forwards likely to make the team (5 years sample size):

1. MacKinnon: 1.372
2. Point: 1.090
3. Crosby: 1.080
4. McDavid: 1.048
5. Scheifele: 1.034
6. Marchand: 1.030
7. Huberdeau: 1.000
8. O'Reilly: .949
9. Couturier: .900
10. Bergeron: .831
11. Stamkos: .822
12. Marner: .781
13. Barzal: .766
14. Stone: .692

I expect all three of Marner/Barzal/Stone to raise those numbers up in the near future.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’ve stated this before but Horvat had a major regression last season, if anyone is going to be taken for a specialty or defensive role I think Couturier, Stone, ROR, even Cirelli, J. Toews, and Suzuki are better options, but if he bounces back all the better

See, there you go: Cirelli. I’m not saying he will or should make the team, but I read every single page of this thread, and have seen a lot of other proposed rosters elsewhere and I did not see anyone post any forwards that would be a surprise or a pure role player.

As mentioned, for anyone who is not the “obvious” choice (most offensively skilled, like a Marner), it will be very much predicated on how they start the year. But I am absolutely certain that Team Canada management has some role players on their short list of guys they’ll be watching VERY closely to start the year that some of us may not even be thinking about. And that doesn’t mean they will for sure give that spot to a someone who’s more of a role player — I only think they will if one of those few players on their shortlist is having a really great year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like that emerged, and they decided to go in that direction because there’s no shortage of skill & finesse guys.

We see this more obviously on defense. For example, I really believe Adam Pelech has a real shot to make this team — more so than a guy like Morgan Rielly or Sam Girard. Everyone was surprised last time when Vlasic made the final cut (including me), and I see them making a similar move at both D and/or F.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
See, there you go: Cirelli. I’m not saying he will or should make the team, but I read every single page of this thread, and have seen a lot of other proposed rosters elsewhere and I did not see anyone post any forwards that would be a surprise or a pure role player.

As mentioned, for anyone who is not the “obvious” choice (most offensively skilled, like a Marner), it will be very much predicated on how they start the year. But I am absolutely certain that Team Canada management has some role players on their short list of guys they’ll be watching VERY closely to start the year that some of us may not even be thinking about. And that doesn’t mean they will for sure give that spot to a someone who’s more of a role player — I only think they will if one of those few players on their shortlist is having a really great year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like that emerged, and they decided to go in that direction because there’s no shortage of skill & finesse guys.

We see this more obviously on defense. For example, I really believe Adam Pelech has a real shot to make this team — more so than a guy like Morgan Rielly or Sam Girard. Everyone was surprised last time when Vlasic made the final cut (including me), and I see them making a similar move at both D and/or F.

I agree with you on D that we might be in for a surprise but considering Marner is one of the better defensive wingers in the league, I don't see him getting subbed out. 1st team all-stars who finish 4th in the NHL for points and top ten in Selke votes are not going to get knocked out of the lineup. The question becomes who you take out of the lineup. Horvat certainly has above average REL stats (Showing he is one of the more valuable pieces on the Canucks) and is a very complete player but Canada is so stacked its hard to find room for him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Both are locks so I wouldn't need worry there.

Here are playoff points/game among notable forwards likely to make the team (5 years sample size):

1. MacKinnon: 1.372
2. Point: 1.090
3. Crosby: 1.080
4. McDavid: 1.048
5. Scheifele: 1.034
6. Marchand: 1.030
7. Huberdeau: 1.000
8. O'Reilly: .949
9. Couturier: .900
10. Bergeron: .831
11. Stamkos: .822
12. Marner: .781
13. Barzal: .766
14. Stone: .692

I expect all three of Marner/Barzal/Stone to raise those numbers up in the near future.
Thanks! I've just seen how useless Marner is every post season. If Stone is on the same level of incompetence, they both need to stay home.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As a Leaf fan, I find that hard to believe.

We need some weight on the team. Bring Stone.

Stone's playoff production is flat out terrible for a player who gets talked about on here as though he walks on water. Especially when you focus on larger sample sizes, such as the seasons his teams went deep in the playoffs (ie. it removes any "hot" or "cold" individual series).

You can argue a lot of things in Stone's favor over Marner, but playoff production and coming up big in the post-season isn't one of them.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It will be important for guys like RoR, Couturier, Marner, and Stone to have good first half of a season. They have the inside track imo to make the team, but guys like toews, horvat, scheifele and Suzuki with strong first halves could make a case.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It will be important for guys like RoR, Couturier, Marner, and Stone to have good first half of a season. They have the inside track imo to make the team, but guys like toews, horvat, scheifele and Suzuki with strong first halves could make a case.
You really think Toews has it in him?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I don't see any way that O'Reilly and Stone aren't there outside of injury. They fill roles that Canada needs filled. A guy like Marner, yes it will be interesting to see how he plays to start the season. The best part will be that people will presumably be able to move on from the 2021 playoffs.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The best part will be that people will presumably be able to move on from the 2021 playoffs.
If you mean me, it wasn't just the 2021 playoffs. ;)

And, for the record, Marner is my favourite Leaf - believe it or not. I just want Canada to win and that trumps any loyalty.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
You really think Toews has it in him?
You never know! Toews is highly decorated internationally, and yes he’s had a year off and the competition for forwards for team Canada is fierce, however if he comes out strong and the blackhawks are winning, I’m not saying he should make it, but he will be considered. I definitely can see toews making the team but right now he’s on the outside looking in for obvious reasons.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You never know! Toews is highly decorated internationally, and yes he’s had a year off and the competition for forwards for team Canada is fierce, however if he comes out strong and the blackhawks are winning, I’m not saying he should make it, but he will be considered. I definitely can see toews making the team but right now he’s on the outside looking in for obvious reasons.
I would LOVE to have Toews on the team but that is one beat up player. I'm not sure he has another Olympics in him.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I would LOVE to have Toews on the team but that is one beat up player. I'm not sure he has another Olympics in him.
Mario Lemieux was playing through a pretty bad skin condition in 2002, even had to retire to fight cancer, and that didn't stop him from dominating and winning. Toews has 3 cups and 2 Olympic golds, as well as many other titles with Canada to his name. If he hits the ground running this season and continues into the Olympic break he'll probably be there. He's also one year younger than Sid.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Mario Lemieux was playing through a pretty bad skin condition in 2002, even had to retire to fight cancer, and that didn't stop him from dominating and winning. Toews has 3 cups and 2 Olympic golds, as well as many other titles with Canada to his name. If he hits the ground running this season and continues into the Olympic break he'll probably be there. He's also one year younger than Sid.
Touché.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

RoR is the one who is on the bubble out of those players. He really didnt have a good year last year and was even worse in the playoffs.

Couts is like 80% chance to make it and Stone/Marner are virtual locks.

I think Barzal, Scheifele, Tavares and even Stammer are the guys that need to have good first halves to solidify a place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad