Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Axel Sandin Pellikka, D, Skellefteå AIK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I haven’t seen that in any of the mocks or rankings I’ve seen. I guess it just shows once you get past the first x it’s probably just micro variances.
Elite Prospects includes summaries of where players are ranked.

1685281999120.png

It's "not impossible" that Honzek could still be available at #24, except it's probably a bit of a "bad sign" if he is. Why would that be bad? Because if a guy is 6'4" and NHL scouts take him lower than expected, that's possibly not a good sign? Usually they overvalue size.

The combine is coming next week, which is probably when the final final tweaks to rankings will start coming out, it's the last piece of data people want. Some of those rankings above may still be "mid-season" ones.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
But I do agree there is going to be massive variance pretty much from around our #15 pick all the way through the rest of the round. Individual teams will probably have significantly different lists. And a few might jump up some names or some D that the scouting services have lower.

All in all, I would fully expect the Preds to gets somebody they have ranked in their top-20 with the #24 pick. So to me, that's another argument why you don't need to try to trade up these picks. As far as the Preds' own draft list is concerned, that #24 is probably already like the #16-18 player on their own list.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

View attachment 713453

It's "not impossible" that Honzek could still be available at #24, except it's probably a bit of a "bad sign" if he is. Why would that be bad? Because if a guy is 6'4" and NHL scouts take him lower than expected, that's possibly not a good sign? Usually they overvalue size.

The combine is coming next week, which is probably when the final final tweaks to rankings will start coming out, it's the last piece of data people want. Some of those rankings above may still be "mid-season" ones.
I mean we got kemell at 17th when he was ranked in the top 10. Id take him if he is still out there

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean we got kemell at 17th when he was ranked in the top 10. Id take him if he is still out there
Honzek is definitely a player I would need to watch play before I'd say I'd take him, even at #24. Nothing seems to jump off the page about him in anything I've read so far, anyway. Some of these players, they have higher accomplishments or statistics at higher levels of competition, and more "chatter" on the boards. I don't seem to have stumbled across much of that with Honzek, so I probably won't vote for him even if he's on the board for us at #24. I just feel like there's going to be somebody even more flashy/hyped that is an even bigger homerun swing available there.
:GWC:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

View attachment 713453

The only complaint I have about that is there is no dating of the rankings. The next game is the next source of scouting. Talent wise, there is a HUGE tier after 15 where all the players seem equal. Preds are in a good spot to catch who's falling, but I still would rather have my destiny in my hands and trade up

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Wood at 15 feels like a steal. Still, I hope we are able to package some assets to move up but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

If my memory serves me correctly Duchene's NTC kicks in July 1. He is the guy I'm watching for us to move at the draft. I think he has some small value and Johansen you aren't convinced is going to play again and can live on LTIR till the end of days if needed.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Wood at 15 feels like a steal. Still, I hope we are able to package some assets to move up but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

If my memory serves me correctly Duchene's NTC kicks in July 1. He is the guy I'm watching for us to move at the draft. I think he has some small value and Johansen you aren't convinced is going to play again and can live on LTIR till the end of days if needed.
I don’t get the trading Duchene when he has been one of our best forwards the last 2 years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Personally I'd like to be able to collect some value for him than have a limited 7 team NTC kick in.
:huh: What value do you think you'll collect on Duchene? Specifically, what team do you think would trade for him at the draft, and what do you think we might get back?

I feel it's more like we'd have to give up a pick in order to move his contract, and that if we waived him, nobody would take him. There aren't very many teams who project to having $8M in Cap space, and even the tanking teams have better ways of reaching the Floor, so they'd charge us a fee to take him.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
This one be hard AF: The following would be solid picks

Riley f***in Heidt

Honzek

Sale

Sawchyn looks intriguing as well and Elite Prospects has him like 11th overall

Stenberg I would be cool with

Fisker Molgaard

Perron would be great

f***in Musty could be still available

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This one be hard AF: The following would be solid picks

Riley f***in Heidt

Honzek

Sale

Sawchyn looks intriguing as well and Elite Prospects has him like 11th overall

Stenberg I would be cool with

Fisker Molgaard

Perron would be great

f***in Musty could be still available
Yeh it looks like we are gonna be in for a solid 2nd pick

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Still a couple picks to go…. I would say a mock like this… where most voters are going by the armchair consensus like I am… makes a “tiered” ranking resonate more with the layman. At this 20+ point I feel like there’s more of a dropoff and this is really where the scouts can earn their money. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like Stenberg if things maintain the current projection for available players.
Columbus took But, so there is now just the Rangers ahead of us.

I spent some time checking out Honzek, Stenberg, and also Sale at this point. I don't think we can truly go wrong. I would probably only be able to break the tie based on "intangible" things like interviews, physical projections, stuff that I'll never have access to. So I would say "we can't lose" now in this mock. Whichever one we get will be just fine by me.

But I still have to vote for one? Ugh. Can anybody convince me pro or con? :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Whups, overlooked that Columbus just traded their 1st to Philly, so in the nick of time the mock is letting Philly take the pick instead.

They seem to be in a battle between Gulyayev and Sale.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Columbus took But, so there is now just the Rangers ahead of us.

I spent some time checking out Honzek, Stenberg, and also Sale at this point. I don't think we can truly go wrong. I would probably only be able to break the tie based on "intangible" things like interviews, physical projections, stuff that I'll never have access to. So I would say "we can't lose" now in this mock. Whichever one we get will be just fine by me.

But I still have to vote for one? Ugh. Can anybody convince me pro or con? :dunno:
I think all 3 have strong upside. The draft really is deep and this pick showcases that. I would say maybe Stenberg is the safest option? I like that Stenberg is in that upper level of skater and edge work in this class. He does seems to have the most variation of ranking for any of the probable picks in our area, but I think that is not about bust factor and seems to showcase a portion of people who think his upside is limited.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The way I was thinking:

I like the size/rawness element to Honzek. He seems like a guy who is sort of "just coming into his own" now, and has done things thus far while being a little weaker/lankier than where he's going to get to when he fills out? One thing I would try to do with him is INSIST (somehow) on him trying things back at Center again. I hope Vancouver just started out thinking, hey, we've got Ostapchuk, we've got our veteran overager Thorpe, we want to play Honzek in the top-6, but we don't have a center spot. Whereas he seems to skate... well let's say "adequately"... does kill penalties. I would love to make a full court press next season if I drafted him in terms of trying to convert him into a center. It may not work. But it's worth a try. If it worked, I guess I would dare to dream of him becoming something of a Pavel Zacha type of player. If it didn't work... well, fair enough.

I suspect Sale will be gone to Philly or New York. The thing that interests me about him is the upside. Or perceived one, anyhow. He has had fans who have been putting him into the top-10 for the past couple years. But then he played in a men's league at 17, maybe he didn't get a lot of minutes, maybe his motor/compete started to lag. So he has fallen. He's a pure wing, but at least a Left shot. To me, he'd be a consideration because if you were going to "swing for the fences" and it was just a kind of off/down year for him and he regains the mojo of being a top-10 caliber talent, then getting him at #24 could turn out to be a bit of a "steal". But I guess that's where you have to gauge via the interviews and so on if he really has the fire in his belly to prove people wrong. Kemell seems to.

And then Stenberg is the one who actually plays center. But at 5'11"/180, will he? It will be interesting to see what the Combine measurements say, he does not look "small" to me. Tearing up the U18 seems to have vaulted him back onto the radar as a 1st rounder. I wouldn't be choosing him just based on that though. He was the captain of that team and got 16 pts in 7 games, so that's pretty amazing, no doubt. But looking back through his history and his J18/J20 story and injuries and what happened there relative to his high-profile teammates (LDN say), I think I understand the lower junior league numbers.

That is kind of what is going through my mind on the players I have at the top of my list right now. We're going to have a chance at 1 of them (in this mock, not necessarily in the real NHL). It becomes an easy choice if the next 2 picks are two of them.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The way I was thinking:

I like the size/rawness element to Honzek. He seems like a guy who is sort of "just coming into his own" now, and has done things thus far while being a little weaker/lankier than where he's going to get to when he fills out? One thing I would try to do with him is INSIST (somehow) on him trying things back at Center again. I hope Vancouver just started out thinking, hey, we've got Ostapchuk, we've got our veteran overager Thorpe, we want to play Honzek in the top-6, but we don't have a center spot. Whereas he seems to skate... well let's say "adequately"... does kill penalties. I would love to make a full court press next season if I drafted him in terms of trying to convert him into a center. It may not work. But it's worth a try. If it worked, I guess I would dare to dream of him becoming something of a Pavel Zacha type of player. If it didn't work... well, fair enough.

I suspect Sale will be gone to Philly or New York. The thing that interests me about him is the upside. Or perceived one, anyhow. He has had fans who have been putting him into the top-10 for the past couple years. But then he played in a men's league at 17, maybe he didn't get a lot of minutes, maybe his motor/compete started to lag. So he has fallen. He's a pure wing, but at least a Left shot. To me, he'd be a consideration because if you were going to "swing for the fences" and it was just a kind of off/down year for him and he regains the mojo of being a top-10 caliber talent, then getting him at #24 could turn out to be a bit of a "steal". But I guess that's where you have to gauge via the interviews and so on if he really has the fire in his belly to prove people wrong. Kemell seems to.

And then Stenberg is the one who actually plays center. But at 5'11"/180, will he? It will be interesting to see what the Combine measurements say, he does not look "small" to me. Tearing up the U18 seems to have vaulted him back onto the radar as a 1st rounder. I wouldn't be choosing him just based on that though. He was the captain of that team and got 16 pts in 7 games, so that's pretty amazing, no doubt. But looking back through his history and his J18/J20 story and injuries and what happened there relative to his high-profile teammates (LDN say), I think I understand the lower junior league numbers.

That is kind of what is going through my mind on the players I have at the top of my list right now. We're going to have a chance at 1 of them (in this mock, not necessarily in the real NHL). It becomes an easy choice if the next 2 picks are two of them.

Each has their upside but I do think Sale is the most "swing for the fences" pick as well. I do see the difficulty of evaluating what is considered "upside" as we talked about in another thread or at least on an earlier date. Upside is subjective and in the eye of the beholder and you can assign that word to any player if there's one specific area of their game that you like.

I also agree Stenberg looks bigger. Combine will be interesting for sure.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad