Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Buds Pick?

• Thomas Bordeleau, C, Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tyson Foerster, C, Barrie Colts (OHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, I'm mocking this draft choice, so it's an apt title. :sarcasm:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Schneider is a old school banger with skating that is good, oldest in the draft, good first pass and strong like bull twice as smart ha. Hits anywhere on the ice,plays the body,drops em if needed

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Schneider is a old school banger with skating that is good, oldest in the draft, good first pass and strong like bull twice as smart ha. Hits anywhere on the ice,plays the body,drops em if needed

The Marlies could really use a guy like that. Being big in junior is his only standout tool even at that level.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015

Yeah I already watched all those free online videos and bought the scouting reports from McKeens and hockey news. I just wonder what the Black Book has to say about Schneider since I decided not to pay $50 for it this year.

I did find this (2020 NHL Draft Preview: Braden Schneider, WHL Defense)

"Hockey Prospect, 11th. In their Black Book, they felt his awareness both on and off the puck separated him from the rest of the defensive class. Like the other independent scouting services, they don’t see him as having a high-end set of skills, yet they see him as one of the most NHL ready blueliners."

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yeah I already watched all those free online videos and bought the scouting reports from McKeens and hockey news. I just wonder what the Black Book has to say about Schneider since I decided not to pay $50 for it this year.

I did find this (2020 NHL Draft Preview: Braden Schneider, WHL Defense)

"Hockey Prospect, 11th. In their Black Book, they felt his awareness both on and off the puck separated him from the rest of the defensive class. Like the other independent scouting services, they don’t see him as having a high-end set of skills, yet they see him as one of the most NHL ready blueliners."
Sounds like Luke Schenn

Reactions: Dayjobdave and kb

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Sounds like Luke Schenn

That's definitely the concern. That's why I want more views on his skating. For some reason he seems slower/heavier when he plays in WHL vs international plays (U18, Russia/WHL series).

The hope is that he'll turn out to be more like Cernak or Manson or Trouba.

The ability to discern between the two (developing into another Schenn vs a Cernak/Manson/Trouba) is the art of scouting/player development.

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
I think you go for the next great swede and grab Grans. I mean is it a coincidence that Eric Karlsson was drafted 15th OA back when and now there's another swede that's climbed the draft ladder and available at 15?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That doesn’t explain your egregious reaction to me not wanting to draft him considering the wildly mixed opinions.
You said, you don’t pick him for a need he’s not a 15 ranked player. Seems like you are wrong. Don’t bully your way around and you won’t get it back likelyhood. He’s definitely a 15 and definitely a need. Both counts you don’t think so. Thats your deal

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I started reading everything I could find about rankings and mock drafts. Many Many of them have Schnieder going late 1st and early second. Consensus seems to be his skill level is not worthy of pick 15 and selecting him at that point is a best case scenario if he pans out as a prospect.

I will leave this to those who study prospects all year and trust the Leafs take best available.

Reactions: Kangal and Morgs

Kangal

Feb 21, 2017
I am fairly certain that Dubas will not draft Schneider at 15. Issues with his skating might prevent him from playing as a top 4 D at the next level. You do not draft D in the 1st round to play on your 3rd pairing.
Depending who drops in this draft, Dubas will most likely try to find a trading partner and trade down. Easier said than done though. Like everyone is saying you hope and pray that Jarvis or The Russian goalie are there at 15 but that’s wishful thinking as well. I expect a guy like Quinn to drop but secretly hoping we trade down and draft Wallinder or Grans

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I am fairly certain that Dubas will not draft Schneider at 15. Issues with his skating might prevent him from playing as a top 4 D at the next level. You do not draft D in the 1st round to play on your 3rd pairing.
Depending who drops in this draft, Dubas will most likely try to find a trading partner and trade down. Easier said than done though. Like everyone is saying you hope and pray that Jarvis or The Russian goalie are there at 15 but that’s wishful thinking as well. I expect a guy like Quinn to drop but secretly hoping we trade down and draft Wallinder or Grans

Latest ranking has a few dmen rated around pick 20.I don't have a problem dropping down a spot at a time & gobbling up a few extra picks & still draft a good dman with that pick.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You said, you don’t pick him for a need he’s not a 15 ranked player. Seems like you are wrong. Don’t bully your way around and you won’t get it back likelyhood. He’s definitely a 15 and definitely a need. Both counts you don’t think so. Thats your deal

I did not once say he is not a 15 ranked player. Regardless he is more often than not ranked outside of the top 15 so now you’re just arguing semantics. I don’t like him as a top 15 pick. If you can trade back to get him I wouldn’t mind him in the mid 20s so I don’t hate the player I just think it’s wasted value to grab him at 15 just because we need a defensive RHD right now.

Also I have not bullied anyone... maybe check your tone if you’re concerned about bullying

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Schneider sounds great and all but he has very little room to grow. Probably more NHL ready than most but he may be like Schenn. Bottom pairing effective guy. I don’t see too much offensive upside in the NHL. Poor lateral movement he’s a North south skater. Crease clearing, behind the net is his big strength.

His shutdown ability is great though. Pushes players to the corner, takes away space, brings players wide and he’s a big hitter.

Guhle May be the better option even if his a LHD.

This is a forward draft though and BPA should be used.

Remember the Rielly draft. Everyone wanted Grig or Galchenyuk as we needed a center. We were “set on D” with Schenn and Gardiner. Took the BPA Rielly, traded Schenn for JVR and let Rielly develop nicely

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Do not pick for need. Schneider is not a top 15 pick quality player. He is only even considered in that range because the D in this draft are awful.

I did not once say he is not a 15 ranked player. Regardless he is more often than not ranked outside of the top 15 so now you’re just arguing semantics. I don’t like him as a top 15 pick. If you can trade back to get him I wouldn’t mind him in the mid 20s so I don’t hate the player I just think it’s wasted value to grab him at 15 just because we need a defensive RHD right now.

Also I have not bullied anyone... maybe check your tone if you’re concerned about bullying

kind of forgetful are ya. Its only a page back. Enough of this.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

Not many scouting reports have complained about his skating. Many see it as a strength.

Braden Schneider

2020 Draft Profile: RHD Braden Schneider - The Draft Analyst

Scouting Report: Braden Schneider - Smaht Scouting

Braden Schneider Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad