Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Next season's "no upgrades" -lineup.

Zetterberg - Nielsen - Mantha
Abdelkader - Larkin - Nyquist
Athanasiou - Helm - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Glendening
(Nosek/Frk, or "miller/ott", bench veterans)

DeKeyser - Green
Kronwall - Ouellet
Ericsson - Jensen
Sproul

Mrazek
Jimmy
Coreau

One guy lost in expansion.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

"miller/ott", bench veterans)

DeKeyser - Green
Kronwall - Ouellet
Ericsson - Jensen
Sproul

Mrazek
Jimmy
Coreau

I mean, that's no worse than what they've been running out nightly... so bully on maybe landing a 1st, a couple seconds, and a couple 3rds.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

(Nosek/Frk, or "miller/ott", bench veterans)

DeKeyser - Green
Kronwall - Ouellet
Ericsson - Jensen
Sproul

Mrazek
Jimmy
Coreau

Pretty sure that one of Nyquist or Tatar will be gone, And it wouldn't surprise me if Svechnikov isn't on the team as well.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Can we say with a fair amount of certainty, given no further trades or arrangements, that it will be Helm that is scooped up from Vegas?

We can hope but I'm pretty scared both Abdelkader and Helm will be protected

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ken Holland with two important things during Canucks intermission.

Paraphrasing somewhat - We hope to turn this around this summer.

GMs don't really try to rip each other off, you know each other and have to work with each other. There are a lot of young guys that he doesn't know quite as well, but I have to work with them for years in the future.... Yeah he eluded to the fact he is going to be working with other GMs for years to come.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
GMs don't really try to rip each other off, you know each other and have to work with each other. There are a lot of young guys that he doesn't know quite as well, but I have to work with them for years in the future.... Yeah he eluded to the fact he is going to be working with other GMs for years to come.

That sounds like the sort of thing a smart man would say in public to avoid burning all his bridges.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That would be fantastic.

For the record I would still trade the second we get for Vanek to entice them to take Howard or Ericsson.
No it would be terrible. Helm is still a very useful player and the contract is short enough that it will expire by the time we need that money. If there's one contract that we should hope to get rid of in expansion it's Abby's.

Ericsson is very much needed on this team unless we can pick up Shattenkirk or something in FA.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Off-season should consist of planning to play their youth and cutting the minutes of their veterans for the 2017-2018 season.

Wings need another lottery pick next season, so they need to keep that in mind with any moves they make during the offseason.

This roster needs to be burned to the ground and half measures will only ensure a longer and more painful rebuild.

I just hope Holland doesn't seriously think this year was an abberation and next year might be different.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Players to move after expansion draft and up until 2018 trade deadline include: Larkin, Zetterberg, Mrazek, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Helm, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Green.

Players to keep: Mantha, Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Hronek, and Oulette.

Anyone else is expendable and will not be on the team when they are finally a cup contender again. It should take 5 years to get in the playoffs and 10 to be a top contender. If the rebuild is done right they could be a cup contender in 5. It takes moving all those pieces for what you can get and hoping for some 2019, 2019, and 2020 first rounders. Maybe one of the firsts you get from a playoff team misses the playoffs a couple years later.

It's time to get creative with the rebuilding process. Buffalo did a good job recently as did Toronto; Arizona is doing a great job now. Edmonton was lucky they got McDavid. This team has one strength; it's a development team for higher level clubs at the moment. This makes a lot of their players worth some good picks and prospects.

A great GM utilizes the most value out of all their players. When you're a bad team you got to make some
sacrifices to get more top picks in order to compete later. The team isn't competitive now, they won't be competitive next year, or the year after. Zetterberg and Kronwall will be done in 2 years. Larkin is nothing more than a good third line center or a crappy second liner.

Why hold him when you can squeeze top 6 forward value out of him? Larkin should of been dealt last year; hopefully he rebounds a by and regains some value next year. What's the point of not selling out now while everyone has more value in order to be a kingpin in a few years? Bubble playoff hockey is the worst kind of team to follow. Fans want to follow a building team that's getting better every year or a top contending team that's dominating most nights. The past few years have been hard to watch Red Wings hockey.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Can we talk about what will realistically happen? There's no way Holland goes ham and sells off non-FA talent nor does he ride out next year without reaching into the free agency heap.

I foresee something like this, probably in this order:

• Helm/Sheahan get taken in the expansion draft (Vegas is going to have to do some mental gymnastics to justify their choice of any exposed guy on this roster)
  • Holland hunts the likes of Oshie, Shattenkirk, Marleau, Thornton, Radulov, and anyone else who is a "name" in free agency this year only to be used as a pawn to increase the bidding from other teams that these guys actually want to play for. He comes up empty-handed.
  • Holland signs one of the likes of Franson/Wideman/Streit and everyone wonders how we're going to fit so many defenseman on this team.
  • Holland signs a guy like Bonino/Winnik/Stafford (he always loved Stafford) to replace Helm/Sheahan. Larkin spends another season mostly on the wing.
  • Late in the season, he reaches into the bargain bin and signs one of Gagner/PAP/Versteeg as the incomplete wingers find themselves desperate once again. Alternatively, after being disgruntled with FA offers, Vanek approaches Holland about signing a 2-3 year deal to give his family some stability and Holland happily obliges. Everyone is annoyed that this will affect the ice time of Larkin/Mantha/AA.
  • A week or two before the Wings have to be cap-compliant, one of Kronwall/Ericsson will get injured in training camp/practice and/or realize they need surgery to correct a lingering problem, ensuring they'll be on LTIR with no imminent return.

Tatar - Zetterberg - Mantha
AA - Nielsen - Nyquist
Larkin - Stafford - Gagner
Abby - Glendening - Helm/Sheahan
Nosek, Bertuzzi

DD - Green
XO - Wideman
K/E - Jensen
Sproul

Mrazek/Howard

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Can we talk about what will realistically happen? There's no way Holland goes ham and sells off non-FA talent nor does he ride out next year without reaching into the free agency heap.

I foresee something like this, probably in this order:

• Helm/Sheahan get taken in the expansion draft (Vegas is going to have to do some mental gymnastics to justify their choice of any exposed guy on this roster)
  • Holland hunts the likes of Oshie, Shattenkirk, Marleau, Thornton, Radulov, and anyone else who is a "name" in free agency this year only to be used as a pawn to increase the bidding from other teams that these guys actually want to play for. He comes up empty-handed.
  • Holland signs one of the likes of Franson/Wideman/Streit and everyone wonders how we're going to fit so many defenseman on this team.
  • Holland signs a guy like Bonino/Winnik/Stafford (he always loved Stafford) to replace Helm/Sheahan. Larkin spends another season mostly on the wing.
  • Late in the season, he reaches into the bargain bin and signs one of Gagner/PAP/Versteeg as the incomplete wingers find themselves desperate once again. Alternatively, after being disgruntled with FA offers, Vanek approaches Holland about signing a 2-3 year deal to give his family some stability and Holland happily obliges. Everyone is annoyed that this will affect the ice time of Larkin/Mantha/AA.
  • A week or two before the Wings have to be cap-compliant, one of Kronwall/Ericsson will get injured in training camp/practice and/or realize they need surgery to correct a lingering problem, ensuring they'll be on LTIR with no imminent return.

Tatar - Zetterberg - Mantha
AA - Nielsen - Nyquist
Larkin - Stafford - Gagner
Abby - Glendening - Helm/Sheahan
Nosek, Bertuzzi

DD - Green
XO - Wideman
K/E - Jensen
Sproul

Mrazek/Howard

Really hope you are wrong but we all know some of this is bound to happen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Really hope you are wrong but we all know some of this is bound to happen.
I think he absolutely hit the nail on the head, in terms of the approach.

My hope is that the execution simply fails.

ATTENTION ALL FREE AGENTS, MEDIOCRE OR OTHERWISE! PLEASE DO NOT COME TO DETROIT NEXT YEAR! ;)

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I think he absolutely hit the nail on the head, in terms of the approach.

My hope is that the execution simply fails.

ATTENTION ALL FREE AGENTS, MEDIOCRE OR OTHERWISE! PLEASE DO NOT COME TO DETROIT NEXT YEAR! ;)

I'd be okay with 1-2 UFA guys on a 1 year deal, just more guys we can flip next deadline. But anymore long term contracts and it really puts us in a bind in the future.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No it would be terrible. Helm is still a very useful player and the contract is short enough that it will expire by the time we need that money. If there's one contract that we should hope to get rid of in expansion it's Abby's.

Ericsson is very much needed on this team unless we can pick up Shattenkirk or something in FA.

Holy hyperbole. Helm has one of the 5 worst contracts on the team. No, it would not be terrible if someone took him off our hands. Far from it.

Helm is having a hard time staying healthy at 30. What do you think is going to happen at 32, 33, 34?

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holy hyperbole. Helm has one of the 5 worst contracts on the team. No it would not be terrible if someone took him off our hands.

Helm is having a hard time staying healthy at 30. What do you think is going to happen at 32, 33, 34?

Especially when his speed is is only real asset that's hard to replace. He doesn't do anything else that well.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Players to move after expansion draft and up until 2018 trade deadline include: Larkin, Zetterberg, Mrazek, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Helm, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Green.

Players to keep: Mantha, Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Hronek, and Oulette.

Anyone else is expendable and will not be on the team when they are finally a cup contender again. It should take 5 years to get in the playoffs and 10 to be a top contender. If the rebuild is done right they could be a cup contender in 5. It takes moving all those pieces for what you can get and hoping for some 2019, 2019, and 2020 first rounders. Maybe one of the firsts you get from a playoff team misses the playoffs a couple years later.

It's time to get creative with the rebuilding process. Buffalo did a good job recently as did Toronto; Arizona is doing a great job now. Edmonton was lucky they got McDavid. This team has one strength; it's a development team for higher level clubs at the moment. This makes a lot of their players worth some good picks and prospects.

A great GM utilizes the most value out of all their players. When you're a bad team you got to make some
sacrifices to get more top picks in order to compete later. The team isn't competitive now, they won't be competitive next year, or the year after. Zetterberg and Kronwall will be done in 2 years. Larkin is nothing more than a good third line center or a crappy second liner.

Why hold him when you can squeeze top 6 forward value out of him? Larkin should of been dealt last year; hopefully he rebounds a by and regains some value next year. What's the point of not selling out now while everyone has more value in order to be a kingpin in a few years? Bubble playoff hockey is the worst kind of team to follow. Fans want to follow a building team that's getting better every year or a top contending team that's dominating most nights. The past few years have been hard to watch Red Wings hockey.

Players to move after the expansion draft and up to the 2018 deadline include Larkin, Zetterberg, Mrazek, DeKeyser, Kronwall, Helm, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Green why don't we just trade the entire team here.:laugh:

1 Larkin- Larkin is a core piece you build around not trade unless Trouba is coming back weren't trading Larkin.

2 Zetterberg- Unless Z ask out and i don't see that happening, Why would we trade him and risk the recapture penalty should he retire early. Z will retire a Wing nuff said.

3 Mrazek- I would deal Mrazek to Calgary for something around Dougie Hamilton that's about it. Doubt Mrazek gets dealt we should be building around him not dealing him.

4 DeKeyser- Once again unless it's a deal for Trouba DeKeyser isn't going anywhere.

5 Kronwall- Get real what team is going to give us any thing for an injured Kronwall who's knee's are shot. Kronwall goes on LTIR for the next 2 years then retires.

6 Helm- Helm is Holland's boy nuff said.

7 Nielsen- Nielsen has a full NMC for 2 more years and Nielsen is absolutely not going anywhere.

8 Nyquist- Wouldn't mind moving Nyquist for Haydn Fleury or something like that. Nyquist should be expendable seeing that he will be making $5.5 million next season and has a full NTC coming up next season.

9 Tatar- I think Holland resigns Tatar 6 years $27 million and then tries to move Nyquist. But i guess for the right deal both Nyquist and Tatar could be gone.

9 Sheahan- Hopefully Sheahan is taken by Vegas nuff said.

10 Green- Unless we can get a 1st and a top D prospect i'm keeping Green sounds like Holland might possibly want to resign him any ways.

We're talking Holland here no way is he moving those 10 players unless we get back 10 players that're far superior.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
3 Mrazek- I would deal Mrazek to Calgary for something around Dougie Hamilton that's about it.

Sign. Me. Up.

8 Nyquist- Wouldn't mind moving Nyquist for Haydn Fleury or something like that. Nyquist should be expendable seeing that he will be making $5.5 million next season and has a full NTC coming up next season

Big pass on that, but I like the idea there. If we are trading with Carolina, I'd take a crack at Jake Bean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad