Speculation: TDL and Off season moves

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Just my thoughts on what could/should happen at the TDL and post season.

The playoff streak is over. It was a nice run while it lasted. Oh well!!!!

Nielsen(NMC), Abby, Helm, Kronwall, Ericsson(NTCs) are all unlikely to waive trade clause to accept a trade.

Zetts will retire a Wing unless he asks to be moved(highly unlikely).

Where does this leave us with everyone else.

Untouchables:
AA, Larkin, Mantha, Mrazek and firsts in '17 and '18.

UFAs:
Vanek: should be traded at the deadline. Possible 1st or a couple of seconds. I personally don't want him back unless its 1 yr at a time for the same cap hit as this season which is NOT likely.
Smith: Trade him at deadline. Should be worth a 3rd. Would be open to re-signing him in offseason(he is NOT as bad as some fans think.)
Ott and Miller should get us a couple of 6ths.

Green has a NTC so would have to OK a move. He would want to go to a legitimate Cup contender(Pitt./Wash/Chi./Minn). Most likely-he gets moves at TDL 2018.
Howard's injury status is becoming more than just problematic. Hoping that Holland can move him offseason(likely with salary retained). A deal with Vegas is a possibility.

All other assets(roster players, minor leaguers, prospects and draft choices) available for deals that will help improve the team now and in the future.

PS. Would live to snag McCarron from the Habs.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Feelings about the respective teams and front offices aside, purely on paper...

...Could it make sense to trade Mike Green to Tampa Bay?

http://www.tsn.ca/surging-lightning-could-strike-before-deadline-1.679273

"In the meantime, Ryan Callahan's second hip surgery means he's out for the regular season, but his absence also has opened up an extra $5.8 million under the cap if Tampa Bay needs it. The only way I see that being the case is if the Lightning somehow find their unicorn: a legit, top-four defenseman who signed past this season."

The Lightning, regardless of whether they buy or sell at the deadline, need to redo their cap this summer, and they'll be under some serious pressure to move one or more roster players.

They're actually only 4 points out of a wild card, and are 5-0-2 in their last 7, so being a buyer isn't totally without possibility.

Is there a return great enough that you could ever see Holland and Yzerman doing each other a favor?

Say, something in the ballpark of Mike Green to Tampa, in exchange for the cap dump of TB's choice, a 2nd rounder in 2017, and a 1st and 3rd rounder in 2018?

I don't know what tinkering would be necessary to even things out, but do you think either franchise would even consider something along those lines?

A fun hypothetical, at least.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If anyone offers Holland that deal for Green, he has to take it.

That said, with the Expansion Draft looming, I see Green as a more realistic trade piece this summer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Remember how we gave you guys a 1st for Quincey? RETURN THE FAVOR.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
...Could it make sense to trade Mike Green to Tampa Bay?

http://www.tsn.ca/surging-lightning-could-strike-before-deadline-1.679273

Say, something in the ballpark of Mike Green to Tampa, in exchange for the cap dump of TB's choice, a 2nd rounder in 2017, and a 1st and 3rd rounder in 2018?

In division trade, probably won't happen.

Plus I know its a 'weak' draft but I'd rather have a high 1st this year than a low 1st next year. Does anyone not expect Tampa to be significantly better next year? That said, that is a pretty nice haul that I wouldn't say no too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Remember how we gave you guys a 1st for Quincey? RETURN THE FAVOR.

Yzerman...

share-the-load-o.gif

Share the load.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah I hope that Quincey deal is coming with some form or reciprocation some day.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah I hope that Quincey deal is coming with some form or reciprocation some day.

That Quincy deal is extra-bad because Tampa Bay started with Steve Downie. They turned Downie, a fourth line borderline NHLer, into a first round pick on Holland's dime. Downie and Quincey combined were not worth a mid-1st in 2012.

They would've been better off trading that first for the rights to Suter...

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
In division trade, probably won't happen.

Plus I know its a 'weak' draft but I'd rather have a high 1st this year than a low 1st next year. Does anyone not expect Tampa to be significantly better next year? That said, that is a pretty nice haul that I wouldn't say no too.

In division trades happen all of the time. It's just another excuse that's used. In fact, the following teams have been involved in trades this season alone: AZ/CGY, CAR/PIT, TB/MTL, NSH/COL, MTL/FLA

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland signs Smith to a 5 year, 17.5 million deal.
Holland signs Vanek to a 4 year, 18 million deal.
After July 1, he signs Mike Green to a 4 year, 22 million deal.

2017-18 roster
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Larkin-Neilsen-Vanek
Sheahan-Athanasiou-Nyquist
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

DeKeyser-Green
Smith-Ouellet
Ericsson-Jensen

Mrazek
Howard

LTIR: Mule, Kronwall

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So where does Vanek end up now? Thought for sure he would end up with the Ducks since a winger/PP help is what was needed. Does he fetch a similar return to Eaves?

I expect he'll get a first rounder outright. There are still lots of places here can go. His contract is so good that moving him should be easy. I'll bet he ends up in Washington.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Holland signs Smith to a 5 year, 17.5 million deal.
Holland signs Vanek to a 4 year, 18 million deal.
After July 1, he signs Mike Green to a 4 year, 22 million deal.

2017-18 roster
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Larkin-Neilsen-Vanek
Sheahan-Athanasiou-Nyquist
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

DeKeyser-Green
Smith-Ouellet
Ericsson-Jensen

Mrazek
Howard

LTIR: Mule, Kronwall

Detroit doesnt have the capspace for all of that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let's really ruminate on that statement. You just said we don't have the cap space to assemble a team that is poised to finish in the bottom 3.

Well yeah, but Run The Jewels was also working off a premise where you are spending money pretty irresponsibly (at least with Smith).

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well yeah, but Run The Jewels was also working off a premise where you are spending money pretty irresponsibly (at least with Smith).

and that's at a lower cap hit than Holland has apparently already offered Smith in reality(albeit a couple more years of term)

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I expect he'll get a first rounder outright. There are still lots of places here can go. His contract is so good that moving him should be easy. I'll bet he ends up in Washington.

I was thinking Washington too but IDK that theyll make any moves for a FWD. I expect they bring in depth D and go with what they have. Thier PP and offense is unreal already.

Looking at the standings I could see a team like LA or Calgary wanting to bring in some PP/scoring depth. Not sure what the cap situation is in LA after the Bishop trade though...I feel like they're right up to the cap now?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If anyone wants to trade AA or Mantha during the TDL, watch this and it should reaffirm why they should stay or think long and hard about trading them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad