Confirmed Trade: [TBL/TOR] Brian Boyle for Byron Froese and a 2nd round pick

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I am simply shocked at leafs fans crying about giving a mid 2nd round pick for a quality player.

Boyle is exactly what this team needed.

Anyone crying needs to look at our insane prospect pool and see that unless that pick is a huge "boom", he's about the 15th player that will be fighting for about 3-5 roster spots in 5 years.

That is, assuming said pick even makes the NHL.

Less than 25% of second round picks in the last 10 years last more than 2 seasons in the NHL. 25%. Those odds are bad. And even worse in a notably bad draft year.

Not to mention that if Boyle we're to resign with us(and I think he will), this trade instantly pays off.

Finally, if this young team makes the playoffs this season, and there's a decent chance they will, the 4+ playoff games will be absolutely worth the 2nd round pick. The incredible season that it would be, will do amazing things for this young team and fan base.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This has me concerned that the Leafs' over-performing rookies have shifted management from responsible rebuild to band-aid solutions to barely scrape into the playoffs. Hopefully this isn't the case.

They have been "over performing" consistently all year long. Poor choice of words to describe their play. Management is still fine, people need to calm down. Acting like we traded the 1st overall pick for Boyle, it isn't even a 1st rounder. 2nd rounder + Froese who is very likely to never be an impact NHLer despite his production in the AHL. We are still sticking to the process, adding a veteran depth C with good defensive skills for a 2nd rounder is perfect for this team. We need help closing games out and in our own end, Boyle addresses that.

If management started trading guys like Matthews/Marner for aging stars you may have a point, but this does not affect our rebuild negatively in any way.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
or they let boyle pick.

Don't think so... Boyle said he woke up from a pre-game nap and found out that he got traded. If MTL just offered a 2nd, as little value as Froese has he's better than nothing when the picks are fairly close.

Also TOR is currently behind in the standings. If I had the option between the two I would take TOR's package as well.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

What probably happened

Lou: I'll give you our lowest 2nd round pick
Yzerman: Ok we'll get back to you

Bergevin: I'll give you our 2nd round pick

Yzerman: We have a better 2nd offered
Lou: Ok, best 2nd and we have a deal?
Yzerman: Deal

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
They have been "over performing" consistently all year long. Poor choice of words to describe their play.

I meant over-performing expectations for their rookie seasons, causing the team to be in a completely different place than expected. Not questioning their ability - I could not be more thrilled with our rookie crop.

Should've been more clear on that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What probably happened

Lou: I'll give you our lowest 2nd round pick

Bergevin: I'll give you our 2nd round pick

Yzerman: We have a better 2nd offered
Lou: Ok, best 2nd and we have a deal?
Yzerman: Deal

Pretty much. I think Yzerman's also gambling on a young Leaf team being the most likely to miss the playoffs too. Maybe gambling on his own team being the one to take their spot.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Pretty much. I think Yzerman's also gambling on a young Leaf team being the most likely to miss the playoffs too. Maybe gambling on his own team being the one to take their spot.

Even if the Leafs make the playoffs, their 2nd can still be lower than Montreals.

A healthy Price can steal a round or two.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Even if the Leafs make the playoffs, their 2nd can still be lower than Montreals.

A healthy Price can steal a round or two.

Yeah. I think this is all just Yzerman deciding the Leafs' pick has the best chance of being highest.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Yeah. I think this is all just Yzerman deciding the Leafs' pick has the best chance of being highest.

Agreed. That and Froese. The Syracuse fan base needs some love. The Boyle trade meant they lost one of their best players because Adam Erne was brought to replace Boyle at LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad