Confirmed Trade: [TBL/TOR] Brian Boyle for Byron Froese and a 2nd round pick

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
While I don't disagree it addressed some big weaknesses for the Leafs, I think you need to temper your expectations. The Leafs collapses can't be entirely negated by the addition of a single player.

Absolutely true. The problem with many of our fans is they do not value things like size, leadership, face-offs and playoff experience because these things do not matter in their video games.

I do understand the concern about trading high picks and would rather we had found another way to do it but I do like the idea of having him in our dressing room as an influence to the kids. I am happy with the price and I expect we will probably extend him, I could even see giving him the C next year.

This also allows us to move Bozak who could actually get us more and yet does not fit our needs quite as well.

If we miss the post season and he walks for nothing this could look like a fail but I am comfortable our management knows what they are doing.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
What's more valuable....playoff experience for our young players, or the 14th overall pick instead of 15th? If this trade gets us a playoff spot, i make it all day every day.

The upside on this deal assumes the Leafs makes the playoffs. I think that's far from a lock. If they don't, you gave up the chance of an NHL player who could help the team in ~4 years when the team might be ready to win for...nothing.

Still, this trade on its own is fine. However, if this becomes a trend, I think we're in for another rough decade.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
This has me concerned that the Leafs' over-performing rookies have shifted management from responsible rebuild to band-aid solutions to barely scrape into the playoffs. Hopefully this isn't the case.

One of those deals that'll look great if the team makes the playoffs, but not so good if they don't.

I'm all for it if that's the case. Even 4 games of experience for this young team will mean a lot.

Regardless, this team isn't doing much damage in the post season, but it'll be a huge building block.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The upside on this deal assumes the Leafs makes the playoffs. I think that's far from a lock. If they don't, you gave up the chance of an NHL player who could help the team in ~4 years when the team might be ready to win for...nothing.

Still, this trade on its own is fine. However, if this becomes a trend, I think we're in for another rough decade.

Lets wait and see i f Boyle signs here before stating this, shall we?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lets wait and see i f Boyle signs here before stating this, shall we?

No, the guy makes a very good point. The Leafs chances of making the playoffs are not that great. They MIGHT make them, and the Boyle trade could look good. But they could also easily miss them and then lose him, after just 20 or so games played.

It's a risky move.

I get why the team did it. The kids have played very well. So Lou is giving them a chance at the playoffs. But Leaf fans should be fair and admit that it's a risky move, instead of just "RAH RAH RAH"ing for every single move the team makes.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No, the guy makes a very good point. The Leafs chances of making the playoffs are not that great. They MIGHT make them, and the Boyle trade could look good. But they could also easily miss them and then lose him, after just 20 or so games played.

It's a risky move.

I get why the team did it. The kids have played very well. So Lou is giving them a chance at the playoffs. But Leaf fans should be fair and admit that it's a risky move, instead of just "RAH RAH RAH"ing for every single move the team makes.

Of course it's a risky move, that's what good GMs do. (See Wash/Shatty). We are just on a lower scale. Again i ask, would you rather make the playoffs this season, or draft 14th instead of 15th?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Kind of a big gamble by Toronto, they are still a longshot. The teams ahead, and behind are better teams and playing better hockey. Waste of assets.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Leafs have had trouble closing out games. He should help them in that area down the stretch.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
This has me concerned that the Leafs' over-performing rookies have shifted management from responsible rebuild to band-aid solutions to barely scrape into the playoffs. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Can't really call franchise players performing well "over-performing"

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

It's not nothing though. What this shows to the younger players is that the team is interested in winning and this is kind of a reward for all their hard work. If they miss, they miss but the experience of a playoff run and the fact that this shows that the management has faith in them is invaluable and worth more than a second round pick and someone that was never playing on the Leafs anyway.

Mar 12, 2009

It's one trade...nothing like a Leaf trade to emphasize how alarmist and reactionary a lot of my fellow Leaf fans are. You say a 2nd gives us a "chance" to have a player contribute in 4 years, but you seem to think the "chances" are higher than they are in reality. You might have more of a leg to stand on if we hadn't had a wealth of draft picks in the past couple years and if we had given up all of our 2nd's this year, or if we didn't have multiple 2nds next year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's one trade...nothing like a Leaf trade to emphasize how alarmist and reactionary a lot of my fellow Leaf fans are.

And it was an asset that they could comfortably move considering all the stockpiling they have done lately.

The old Leafs would have traded Kapanen or Dermott for Boyle so the entire forum could circle jerk over it.

This Leafs regime accumulated a ton of picks, prospects and young assets over the last two years that they were able to move without much consequence.

At the end of the day, they made a trade that kept their 1st, kept their promising prospects and kept their coveted young assets.

Everyone knows this trade is absolutely fine, but you know how it is here.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's one trade...nothing like a Leaf trade to emphasize how alarmist and reactionary a lot of my fellow Leaf fans are. You say a 2nd gives us a "chance" to have a player contribute in 4 years, but you seem to think the "chances" are higher than they are in reality. You might have more of a leg to stand on if we hadn't had a wealth of draft picks in the past couple years and if we had given up all of our 2nd's this year, or if we didn't have multiple 2nds next year.

Entire generations of Leaf fans have good reason.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

You tell me then the last time an entire generation of Leaf Fans have seen the stockpiling that this generation has seen.

Context is important here.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
1958-59. Keon, Mahovlich,Pulford, Duff (all in hall of fame), Nevin,Baun,Brewer. Stanley cup in 62, 63, 64.
Yes, it has been awhile.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I like the move. The Leafs have effectively skipped a year of the rebuild. Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA all missed the playoffs when Crosby, Toews/Kane and Doughty were rookies.

Making the playoffs so soon is a huge step in the right direction and I'm happy to see management is committed to that goal. This team should be a contender while Matthews and Marner are still on their ELCs, which is an unbelievable advantage in a cap world.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I like the move. The Leafs have effectively skipped a year of the rebuild. Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA all missed the playoffs when Crosby, Toews/Kane and Doughty were rookies.

Making the playoffs so soon is a huge step in the right direction and I'm happy to see management is committed to that goal. This team should be a contender while Matthews and Marner are still on their ELCs, which is an unbelievable advantage in a cap world.

We haven't made any playoffs yet, Man. Jesus.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

No, they shouldn't. They probably feel that way because they let idiots like Howard Berger, Steve Simmons and Dave Feschuk indoctrinate their feeble minds on a weekly basis into thinking that trading one 2nd round pick for a respectable shutdown forward that will instill both leadership and a better work ethic amongst this young Leaf team is a bad thing and will be all doom and gloom from here on out. Stockpiling picks and being a cheap ass for consecutive years isn't a sure fire way to becoming a perrenial contender.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We haven't made any playoffs yet, Man. Jesus.

mqdefault.jpg

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017

I literally said: "Still, this trade on its own is fine. However, if this becomes a trend, I think we're in for another rough decade."

I think we can all agree the eventual goal is to become a contender. Either way it's a gamble. Either you gamble that the Leafs make the playoffs this year and the experience turns into tangible benefits to our young players' development, or you gamble that the player you get out of a second round pick could play for the team at a time when you're actually a contender.

Both viewpoints are valid, and I'm fine with it as a one off in the case of this trade. But if we start spending other picks / prospects for rentals ahead of the trade deadline, which is rumored, I'm concerned for sure. I don't see the value of one round of playoff experience outweighing the chances of one of the picks or prospects we trade away being an NHLer.

For this sort of trade to make sense, the follow assumptions are required:
1) The Leafs make the playoffs
2) The rental players are responsible for the Leafs making the playoffs
3) The experience from the playoff games materially impacts the development of our players
4) The development impact is positive (probably wouldn't say that about our last playoff stint)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TB is betting on the Leafs finishing worse than the other offered pick(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad