Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Luke Schenn (1 year, $800K) and Pat Maroon (2 years, 900K AAV) re-sign with the Lightning

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I hate to me that guy but it's starting to get unfair/ridiculous how every player takes a significant pay cut to sign with Tampa.

Well. I'm sure other states have similar tax laws, no?

I think it's in the makeup of guys they draft/sign/trade for. I'm not criticizing the deal, but a guy like Anderson in Montreal reportedly asked for 7 years or nothing (walk to UFA next season) and asked for big money.

I'm pretty sure Tampa would not touch that kind of player, or would trade them away (ie Drouin). They prone a "team first" mentality and every action they take is aligned with that goal. A player doesn't like it? They don't have a problem shopping them around.

From the outside looking in, it looks like they're building a "fun" environment to be around, and winning obviously helps with people adhering to the mentality.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that this is very good news for our cup winning Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts! Lucky Schenn is maybe more of a rotational asset, but Patty Maroon is certainly a forward who can contribute for years to come. Very nice!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tampa's contracts are all starting to look like "Pippen" discounts. Maroon could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.

Are you sure? He had the same role on STL last year and only got $900 K last summer. Not like he improved this year.

Jealous Tampa re-signed him tho. Would have loved him on the Hawks. I guess TB figured out all you need to win a cup is him on your roster, so they didn't want any of the other teams to get him :sarcasm:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t know why Tampa took this long to announce these deals ?
Probably they were pressing for more. Tampa probably was negotiating cheap deals with potential replacements. They weren't going to give full market value to those guys even if they are worth it

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Their agents probably gave JBB a grace period before making it official to give him some more cap flexibility. However, with the first pay cheques due to be paid out, it's a courtesy to the players to put pen to paper now.

do the players get paid this month or do they wait till the season starts ?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

When is the last time a 900k forward had a NMC?

I would think it's a reasonable request from his side. This is probably the last contract he's going to sign. Maybe could have got a bit more being a noted part of Cup winning teams the last 2 seasons. Probably just giving him some assurance right away and then he gets to at least cross any "no" teams off his list in year 2.

Strange given the salary but probably reasonable from both sides.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Guy like Maroon can be set for life as an analyst or back office with those rings. Smart of him to stick around and go for the hat trick.

Reactions: BHD

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Well done Maroon. That's the kind of attitude I love to see.

Firstly, the guy is a millionaire, so he's not strapped for cash, he's still got a few years left too and will likely have many opportunities when he retires from playing.

But there is a man who values the notion of what he has done in the game over enhancing his bank account. Bravo to him. Hope he picks up another Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad