Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Luke Schenn (1 year, $800K) and Pat Maroon (2 years, 900K AAV) re-sign with the Lightning

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would think it's a reasonable request from his side. This is probably the last contract he's going to sign. Maybe could have got a bit more being a noted part of Cup winning teams the last 2 seasons. Probably just giving him some assurance right away and then he gets to at least cross any "no" teams off his list in year 2.

Strange given the salary but probably reasonable from both sides.

I wouldn't go that far (it being his last contract). My guess is he probably took less money to stay where he likes it and go for a third cup.

Any reason why this was announced 3 weeks ago and just got signed now? I saw Maroon post on Instagram about staying in TB, but this contract was announced almost a month ago?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I wouldn't go that far (it being his last contract). My guess is he probably took less money to stay where he likes it and go for a third cup.

Any reason why this was announced 3 weeks ago and just got signed now? I saw Maroon post on Instagram about staying in TB, but this contract was announced almost a month ago?

They wanted cap space in case there was an offer sheet. Now they are due to be paid soon and I'm sure they wanted to make sure they were paid. My wonder now is are they not worried about an offer sheet? I'm guessing if we would have heard about it would have happened by now.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Great signings by Tampa. Obviously both players wanted to stay and why wouldn't they ? Tampa will probably be the best team in the east by a mile next year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They wanted cap space in case there was an offer sheet. Now they are due to be paid soon and I'm sure they wanted to make sure they were paid. My wonder now is are they not worried about an offer sheet? I'm guessing if we would have heard about it would have happened by now.

I think with the cap uncertainty even for next season teams are weary. Obviously for guys like Sergachev and Cirelli an OS is worth it but you have teams who are in a cash crunch cause of coronavirus and ones who have no idea if the cap will increase even next year since who knows if they will fans in the seats (probably not at this point)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think with the cap uncertainty even for next season teams are weary. Obviously for guys like Sergachev and Cirelli an OS is worth it but you have teams who are in a cash crunch cause of coronavirus and ones who have no idea if the cap will increase even next year since who knows if they will fans in the seats (probably not at this point)
If there are no fans in the seats there will be no season. The league can not afford to play without ticket revenue. The Bolts can not afford to lose Sergichev and would try to match any offersheet. Cirelli on the otherhand yes it would suck to lose him but there looks to be no path where they can sign all three RFA's. SO Cirelli is the most poachable IMO.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If there are no fans in the seats there will be no season. The league can not afford to play without ticket revenue. The Bolts can not afford to lose Sergichev and would try to match any offersheet. Cirelli on the otherhand yes it would suck to lose him but there looks to be no path where they can sign all three RFA's. SO Cirelli is the most poachable IMO.

Good luck scoring any playoff OT goals without him :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad