Confirmed Trade: [TBL/LAK] Ben Bishop (20% retained), 5th for Erik Cernak, Peter Budaj, 7th, conditional

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Hey Budaj, thanks for saving our season! GTFO you bum!

Now...let's bring in someone with worse numbers! Huzzah :scared:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rather have a draft pick or prospect than a guy who couldn't cut it in the Kings system. Bishop was brought in to play anyway....

Well, we have an extra 3rd and 4th but I don't know if Hextall is really interested in trading for Bishop. We'll know for sure within 48 hours.

If the Flyers move a dman like Streit for a pick, we could theoretically trade Mason + pick for Bishop.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well, we have an extra 3rd and 4th but I don't know if Hextall is really interested in trading for Bishop. We'll know for sure within 48 hours.

If the Flyers move a dman for a pick, we could theoretically trade Mason + pick for Bishop.

Is this being talked about?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A guy on our forum who has broken stuff before thinks we will be moving a goalie.

Mason + pick for Bishop is my speculation based on team needs, resources and their fairly similar cap hits.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
A guy on our forum who has broken stuff before thinks we will be moving a goalie.

Mason + pick for Bishop is my speculation based on team needs, resources and their fairly similar cap hits.

I'd be shocked at this point. Philly would have to blow the Kings away.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Hey Budaj, thanks for saving our season! GTFO you bum!

Now...let's bring in someone with worse numbers! Huzzah :scared:
Maybe some context is required about those better numbers? Budaj was playing this season in the Kings' stellar defensive system, which gives up very few chances. Compare the shot location charts for Budaj and Bishop this season and tell me if you notice a difference:

budajpe82

bishobe86

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
TB received only a single offer on Bishop from around the nhl and it was a low ball from Kings and TB accepted it. Not surprised

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I have no idea what I'm looking at here, but it looks suspiciously like nonsense.
How is it nonsense? It's hard data turned visual.

The charts depict how often a goalie faces shots from different locations on the ice relative to the league average of facing shots from those locations. The darker the shade of blue, the less the goalie faces shots from that location. The darker the shade of red, the more the goalie faces a shot from that location.

It is pretty straightforward and not nonsense. And it shows how well the Kings have done at preventing teams from getting quality shots on Budaj, whereas the Lightning allow an incredible amount of shots right in prime scoring area in the middle slot. It's pretty easy to see that the Kings' system has greatly benefitted Budaj, and that to compare Budaj's numbers with the Kings this year to Bishop's with the Lightning is a bit disingenuous. Context can help show why directly comparing is not the best way analyze the trade.

I'm sorry to see that your first response is to be snarky and declare something nonsense instead of considering the actual information conveyed by the evidence. I guess I shouldn't have expected any more from the inherently Luddite nature of HF.

Last edited:

degustator

Sep 3, 2012
Slovakia
For those wondering why the deal was made and questioning if it is even an upgrade, it's pretty simple.

Budaj in February: 2-6-0, 2.02 GAA, .884 save percentage

Bishop in February: 5-0-0, 1.17 GAA, .953 save percentage

As solid as Budaj was earlier in the year, he has been a mess the last few weeks. That's even with the Kings playing an ultra-conservative style to protect him. If we had Bishop two weeks ago, we would already be in playoff position, maybe even with a little cushion. For the price, it was an incredible deal.

Actually Budaj in Feb: 4-6-0, .915 save percentage

Sydney Cosby

Apr 13, 2016
Dude I LOVE luddites! I always get those at the movies, even though it's a ripoff for like, eight bucks for the box. Such delicious chewy fruity flavors, though.
You eat people who destroy industrial machines that they believe are stealing their jobs?
You should be ashamed of yourself

kovalev47

Mar 6, 2007
???????????????????????

Bishop has missed significant games in the playoffs the last two seasons due to injury.

2014-2015 TBL 25 25 13 11 0 0 669 53 2.18 616 .921 3 1,459

2015-2016 TBL 11 11 8 2 0 0 297 18 1.86 279 .939 2 583

He's missed some games. More last season than the previous playoffs.

The Kings aren't in a playoff position at the moment.

Kings will make it. There are only 3 points out. They are saving their energy for the playoffs.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Quick was out for most of the year so, imo, it was a smart move to get another #1/1A/1B (whatever you want to call it) goaltender.

Groin injuries on goalies are well known for reoccurring. On the top of my head, guys like Hasek and Halak have had multiple groin injuries that have kept them out for considerable time. Or maybe it just happens to goalies whose last names end in 'k?'

paragon

May 5, 2010
Maybe some context is required about those better numbers? Budaj was playing this season in the Kings' stellar defensive system, which gives up very few chances. Compare the shot location charts for Budaj and Bishop this season and tell me if you notice a difference
That makes Budaj look even better. The less shots you face the lower your save%. Compare his stats to Quick from previous years and they are pretty identical.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
That makes Budaj look even better. The less shots you face the lower your save%. Compare his stats to Quick from previous years and they are pretty identical.
No it doesn't. He faces far fewer shots from dangerous areas on the Kings than Bishop does on the Lightning. The quality of shots Budaj have faced all year has been incredibly easy. Facing easier shots makes it easier to have inflated numbers.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Maybe some context is required about those better numbers? Budaj was playing this season in the Kings' stellar defensive system, which gives up very few chances. Compare the shot location charts for Budaj and Bishop this season and tell me if you notice a difference:

budajpe82

bishobe86

those graphs tell you a ton about team defense and structure. Could somebody link me to all those charts for various teams?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad