Confirmed Trade: [TBL/LAK] Ben Bishop (20% retained), 5th for Erik Cernak, Peter Budaj, 7th, conditional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This is a weird trade, that seems like such an awful return for Bishop. He either wants too much money or declined resigning to the teams that were willing to trade for him.

There must have been no market. For this little the wings should have took a shot at him if Holland didn't spend to the cap signing life time deals to mediocre players he could have made a run at a solid goalie.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Bishop to dallas as UFA makes too much sense now.

Niemi and Lehtonen are both under contract next season.

Maybe the Leafs take on one of their contracts though for picks/prospect?

Last edited:

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I guess Kings didn't see Budaj as a reliable alternative if Quick didn't play up to standard?

Those that watched the Kings the last 10-15 games would understand. For a team challenged with scoring goals, Budaj would let in soft goals often. There was a lot of back breaker goals; defense would mess up once or twice and it would be behind the net. Budaj was breaking down and he couldn't bail out the team when needed.

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site
What a stupid pointless trade.

Quick is healthy and the Kings arent even contenders.

Its also a slap in the face to Budaj.

Lombardi is classless.

Do you even follow the Kings? Quick has been back 1 game after missing most of the season. Having 2 #1 goalies to share the workload means this trade is not pointless. Budaj, while looking at his numbers looks great but has also been known to let in soft goals at the worst times. I don't see how this is a bad or "classless" move at all.

Do some research before you make such a ridiculous comment.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Do you even follow the Kings? Quick has been back 1 game after missing most of the season. Having 2 #1 goalies to share the workload means this trade is not pointless. Budaj, while looking at his numbers looks great but has also been known to let in soft goals at the worst times. I don't see how this is a bad or "classless" move at all.

Do some research before you make such a ridiculous comment.

the funny thing..dean has gotten ripped for being to too loyal to guys like richards (not buying him out), Green (for giving him a 4 year deal), Gabo (for giving a fat contract after solid playoff run). really...people should refain from dumb comments.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
LA`s need for scoring depth hasn`t been addressed. They allow an acceptable amount of goals, but their offense is far below average.

Kings offense has always been below average. Even during the cup years, they were mediocre during the regular season but cranked in up in the playoffs. Dean said he's trying to get help for Kopi but I don't know how with the limited amount of cap space.

mrc23

Aug 4, 2005
For those wondering why the deal was made and questioning if it is even an upgrade, it's pretty simple.

Budaj in February: 2-6-0, 2.02 GAA, .884 save percentage

Bishop in February: 5-0-0, 1.17 GAA, .953 save percentage

As solid as Budaj was earlier in the year, he has been a mess the last few weeks. That's even with the Kings playing an ultra-conservative style to protect him. If we had Bishop two weeks ago, we would already be in playoff position, maybe even with a little cushion. For the price, it was an incredible deal.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
What is Yzerman preparing?

Unload Bishop.

Call up 2 forwards and pick another forward on waivers.

Boyle will probably be traded. Maybe Fillpulla.

I think we may see a blockbuster trade.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is a weird trade, that seems like such an awful return for Bishop. He either wants too much money or declined resigning to the teams that were willing to trade for him.

There must have been no market. For this little the wings should have took a shot at him if Holland didn't spend to the cap signing life time deals to mediocre players he could have made a run at a solid goalie.

Yzerman said he only had LA to work with. So yeah, there was NO goalie market. The fact that Yzerman got anything at all might be considered a win.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For those wondering why the deal was made and questioning if it is even an upgrade, it's pretty simple.

Budaj in February: 2-6-0, 2.02 GAA, .884 save percentage

Bishop in February: 5-0-0, 1.17 GAA, .953 save percentage

As solid as Budaj was earlier in the year, he has been a mess the last few weeks. That's even with the Kings playing an ultra-conservative style to protect him. If we had Bishop two weeks ago, we would already be in playoff position, maybe even with a little cushion. For the price, it was an incredible deal.

Don't be surprised if you notice your team, as a whole, plays better in front of Bishop. He's an absolute general on the ice.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Don't be surprised if you notice your team, as a whole, plays better in front of Bishop. He's an absolute general on the ice.

Any goalie can play behind Sutter's system and have a great GAA since they are so tight defensively and give up few shots. Bish only has to be respectable in the appearances he is going to make (mostly b2b's like this week) and he'll be fine.

No need for heroics if Quick is back to form (as he looked over the weekend), but it's a great move by Dean as a contingency just in case. They need to win out most of their games to get in, so why not have 1a and 1b instead of 2a despite what Budaj's early numbers showed.

He was clearly on the decline.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
LA`s need for scoring depth hasn`t been addressed. They allow an acceptable amount of goals, but their offense is far below average.

2011-12 - GF/G 2.29 GA/G 2.07
2013-14 - GF/G 2.41 GA/G 2.05
2016-17 - GF/G 2.44 GA/G 2.43

We've been talking about LA's lack of offense for years, this is nothing new, the difference is in previous years we haven't had to worry about the defensive side. The threshold for "acceptable amount of goals" to allow is much lower for LA. I'm hoping Quick remains healthy and is able to shake the rust off immediately, but if there are any complications I am much more comfortable with the idea of Bishop in net rather than Budaj. The offense is playing below potential and can be improved internally or through additional personnel addtions, Budaj was giving LA his best and it still wasn't good enough.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Any goalie can play behind Sutter's system and have a great GAA since they are so tight defensively and give up few shots. Bish only has to be respectable in the appearances he is going to make (mostly b2b's like this week) and he'll be fine.

No need for heroics if Quick is back to form (as he looked over the weekend), but it's a great move by Dean as a contingency just in case. They need to win out most of their games to get in, so why not have 1a and 1b instead of 2a despite what Budaj's early numbers showed.

He was clearly on the decline.

Bishop's hockey sense and puck movement is incredible. You'll see him directing the defense, making beautiful breakout passes, and poke checking players that go behind the net.

His value isn't just in his puck stopping abilities, which are pretty special in their own right.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bishop is the opposite, will give up a softy early then turn into a brick wall, so I guess either way you'll be getting a soft goal against.

Quick too! It's a match made in heaven ;)

Would I make this trade as the Kings just to upgrade Budaj to Ben Bishop? Maybe. I think Budaj has been more than fine.

Would I make this deal to upgrade on Budaj AND prevent the three teams I'm fighting for a playoff spot with (Calgary, St. Louis, Winnipeg) from upgrading one of their goalies to Ben Bishop? Absolutely.

Yeah. If you believe the report Kings were the only bidder, but it's still a nice security, especially with 4 more games vs. Calgary.

Plus, how nasty does it look going from Budaj/Zatkoff (lol never played) to Quick/Bishop?

We are talking about a major groin injury. I don't think that it's safe to say "fully recovered" until he's really put it to work and tested it for a good while under a typical workload without re-injuring it. Even if the doctors say that the groin is 100% healed, it hasn't been exercised much in the last 4 months, and muscles that haven't been exercised are more easily injured. Heck, it's even possible that Quick could injure the opposite groin, since it hasn't been exercised much in the last 4 months, either. The way that Quick plays, pushing off quickly and doing the splits, makes him especially prone to groin injuries. The point is that he doesn't actually have to be injured for there to be reason to be very cautious here.

That said, something that may've happened is that, either shortly after Saturday's game or when he woke up Sunday morning, Quick might've been a little more sore (especially in his groin) than usual. While that makes some sense, considering that it was his first game in 4 months, and though Lombardi indicated that he wanted to get a goaltender weeks ago, hearing about Quick being a little more sore than usual might've given Lombardi the extra push to complete the trade last night, just in case. If so, and despite him being with the team less than 24 hours and getting in only one practice with them, we might see Bishop in net tonight, to give Quick an extra day of recovery. EDIT: I'm reading that Lombardi mentioned that Sutter is planning on playing Bishop tonight.

100% agreed. Even if Quick looks good, DL has mentioned managing his workload, and with the sheer # of back to backs and 3 in 4s for the remainder of the season, it's murder to expect him to go every night. We obviously weren't getting what we needed from Budaj, so would be a shame to miss the playoffs because of that (obv. other factors, just saying--as DL said, we have no margin for error so this move reduces that in his eyes).

I'm not sure of the thought process for LA, but you'd have to figure a number of factors:

1. LA needs scoring but if the price is way too high, the next best option is to stop goals.

2. You have to make the playoffs first. If they need to work Quick back in slowly, they probably feel more confident with Bishop (in those tight, low scoring games).

3. As you said, the competition doesn't get Bishop.

Yeah, we really doubled down on the defense. As others have mentioned, there have just been flat out too many nights this year when we play almost perfectly, but get scored on. This is the GM throwing the team a bone.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bishop's hockey sense and puck movement is incredible. You'll see him directing the defense, making beautiful breakout passes, and poke checking players that go behind the net.

His value isn't just in his puck stopping abilities, which are pretty special in their own right.

To be fair a Kings goalie that's able to play the puck is just going to confuse the everliving **** out of everyone on the ice :laugh:

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
If Quick is back ...

LA: Nieuvirth+ something small but still bigger than what they gave up(nothing)
PHI: Bishop

PHI: Bishop gets the goalie that they have been rumored to be interested in and chance to resign him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Good trade by the Kings.

The biggest question ever is will hf boards still exist on Wednesday or will they self implode due to all the traffic?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Quick is back ...

LA: Nieuvirth+ something small but still bigger than what they gave up(nothing)
PHI: Bishop

PHI: Bishop gets the goalie that they have been rumored to be interested in and chance to resign him.

Neuvirth + Weal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad