Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CHI] Brandon Hagel, 2022, 2024 4ths for Boris Katchouk, Taylor Raddysh, 2023, 2024 1sts (Top 10 protected)

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
at that price a team would've retained 1-2 millions on a contract to make it work, just seems like Brisebois had Hagel in his crosshair.
It's not about this contract alone.. its the next one too. There aren't many players with a contract similar to hagels who plays at the level Hagel plays. As a Bolts fan I am happy with the trade. It makes sense now and in 4 years. There are multiple layers to this to take into account not just this year.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's not about this contract alone.. its the next one too. There aren't many players with a contract similar to hagels who plays at the level Hagel plays. As a Bolts fan I am happy with the trade. It makes sense now and in 4 years. There are multiple layers to this to take into account not just this year.
I think there are many players in the 2-4M range for 2-3 years. What I'm saying is a lot of teams would've accepted to retain 1-2 M on their guy for a similar return. I don't think Hagel is anything special at all, but his contract situation did give him a lot more value. I think Brisebois could've had better tho, not a fan of this move from Tampa pov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I think there are many players in the 2-4M range for 2-3 years. What I'm saying is a lot of teams would've accepted to retain 1-2 M on their guy for a similar return. I don't think Hagel is anything special at all, but his contract situation did give him a lot more value. I think Brisebois could've had better tho, bot a fan of this move from Tampa pov.
So who? Who could he have traded for (3mill or less) who plays a Hagel like game where the current team would retain 50% for 3 years … AND … after those 3 years he is still under team control?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So who? Who could he have traded for (3mill or less) who plays a Hagel like game where the current team would retain 50% for 3 years … AND … after those 3 years he is still under team control?
I'm not sure who, but a lot of players in that range. I didn't know it was important for the player to still be under team control after the 3 years, as many bolts fans have mentioned he'll most likely price himself out of Tampa by that time any way. Just of the top of my head guys like Crouse, Sundqvist, Donskoi, Lehkonen, Kuraly could've been add for less or are better in a bottom 6 role then Hagel.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm not sure who, but a lot of players in that range. I didn't know it was important for the player to still be under team control after the 3 years, as many bolts fans have mentioned he'll most likely price himself out of Tampa by that time any way. Just of the top of my head guys like Crouse, Sundqvist, Donskoi, Lehkonen, Kuraly could've been add for less or are better in a bottom 6 role then Hagel.
Except none of those guys fit in Tampa even remotely as well as Hagel does when the cap and $ is taken into consideration. Kuraly, Donskoi and Sundqvist either make too much for too long and/or weren't worth the cost it would've taken to retain(plus age and team control as well), and while Crouse and Lehkonen are in the same range, either would've cost Tampa at least a 1st, roster player or two(even after retention, either in that trade or a separate one), and likely a prospect. Tampa also likely couldn't afford either of Crouse or Lehkonen's new contracts, given what they'll probably be looking at. Hagel fits the team's needs now and for at least the next two years, when he'll likely be a top 6 regular.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Except none of those guys fit in Tampa even remotely as well as Hagel does when the cap and $ is taken into consideration. Kuraly, Donskoi and Sundqvist either make too much for too long and/or weren't worth the cost it would've taken to retain(plus age and team control as well), and while Crouse and Lehkonen are in the same range, either would've cost Tampa at least a 1st, roster player or two(even after retention, either in that trade or a separate one), and likely a prospect. Tampa also likely couldn't afford either of Crouse or Lehkonen's new contracts, given what they'll probably be looking at. Hagel fits the team's needs now and for at least the next two years, when he'll likely be a top 6 regular.
Well, I disagree.
Again, don't like the move at all. Brisebois could've spent his assets better. I know he has his fan club, but that isn't a win for him. Hagel is not a top6 player on a contender and I don't like his qualities as much on a bottom 6.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
there's no need to get defensive. I know back-to-back Cups and all, but you don't gotta pretend every single move your Management team makes is instant-gold

Reactions: jfhabs

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Well, I disagree.
Again, don't like the move at all. Brisebois could've spent his assets better. I know he has his fan club, but that isn't a win for him. Hagel is not a top6 player on a contender and I don't like his qualities as much on a bottom 6.
Interesting since he's never had a chance to be a top 6 player "on a contender." He will likely get that opportunity next season though, and if he can even be close to what he was in Chicago playing with quality players, he'll be fine. He's had ~20 games in Tampa without much consistency in line mates as well. Tampa did pay an extra 1st for the extra year, but no one has yet to come up with a better cost controlled fit for a team like Tampa, that will need very careful cap management for the next couple seasons, that would've cost much less(among players Tampa would've realistically been looking to acquire given their situation) and given Tampa what they were looking for 3 total potential runs.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I think there are many players in the 2-4M range for 2-3 years. What I'm saying is a lot of teams would've accepted to retain 1-2 M on their guy for a similar return. I don't think Hagel is anything special at all, but his contract situation did give him a lot more value. I think Brisebois could've had better tho, not a fan of this move from Tampa pov.

Name them then

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Crouse has no where close to the production, neither does Kuraly (on top of both players costing more

Lehkonen is a RFA at seasons end (less production still)

Sundqvist has been concussed into oblivion and isnt the same as he was in 2019 (where his best season is still worse than Hagels)

Hagel had more goals than Donskoi had points... (on top of costing almost 4million per lol)

You said there are better players, prove it

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Name them then
there are currently 20 forwards that have a salary between 2m-4m and have at least 2 years left (Expire in 2024 or later) on their deal. only 12 of those players are between 23 and 28 years of age
Those players are (sorted by points this season) with term left and AAV and Age (as of today)

1. Chandler Stephenson- 2 years, $3m AAV, Age- 28
2. Anthony Duclair- 2 years, $3m AAV, Age- 26
3. Alex Iafallo- 3 years, $4m AAV, Age- 28
4. Dillon Dube- 2 years, $2.3m AAV, Age- 23
5. Scott Laughton- 4 years, $3 AAV, Age- 27
6. Colton Sissons- 4 years, $2.857m AAV, Age- 28
7. Warren Foegele- 2 years, $2.75m AAV, Age- 26
8. Brock McGinn- 3 years, $2.75m AAV, Age- 28
9. Casey Mittelstadt- 2 years, $2.5m AAV, Age- 23
10. Radek Faksa- 3 years, $3.25m AAV, Age- 28
11. Joel Armia- 3 years, $3.4m AAV, Age- 28
12. Jason Dickinson- 2 years- 2.65m AAV, Age- 26

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Crouse has no where close to the production, neither does Kuraly (on top of both players costing more

Lehkonen is a RFA at seasons end (less production still)

Sundqvist has been concussed into oblivion and isnt the same as he was in 2019 (where his best season is still worse than Hagels)

Hagel had more goals than Donskoi had points... (on top of costing almost 4million per lol)

You said there are better players, prove it
There's no way or point to prove it... it's just my opinion on a hockey forum. Pitlick also put together a nice season point wise. Is he better then a guy like Armia on the bottom 6 of a contender? I don't think so.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He reminds me a bit of Alex Kerfoot. Not in playing style, but in impact. He can play with good players and keep up, he's not going to tank the line. But he doesn't really have much to add on his own and isn't going to make any line significantly better from his addition. He's just sort of there, existing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad