TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
This is a pretty great thread. You've somehow managed to insult a team on a baseless claim while simultaneously tapping into the deep HF psychosis that is the 2010-2011 Canucks Bruins final (maybe the most polarized I've ever seen this board). All the while completely unaware of arrogant you seem as a Bruins fan by preemptively calling the loss of another team (presumably to yours) and gloating about an 8 year old cup final. This will definitely cause some level headed and well thought out discussion.

As an aside this Canucks team is definitely worse than this years Lightning if you're comparing them on paper. However rosters were composed differently then and I'd say there's more talent in the league in general now. That Canucks roster, while healthy, was truly special to watch (having watched every game of that season)

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
If you wanted a good defenseman maybe they shouldn't have taken Hodgson over Karlsson... Not like the Canucks didn't have multiple top 10 picks that decade.
Two number 10oa and one is dead and the other had a bad back since junior.

I like that 2011 team they had good chemistry in january or february malhotra did a locker room interview saying how he liked that everyone was on the same page.When a guy f***ed up he was accpuntable for his actions.

#stantionformvp

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Two number 10oa and one is dead and the other had a bad back since junior.

Yes and you also left Erik Karlsson on the board so don't go complaining about not having an elite defenseman when he was smacking you in the face on the draft board.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Wish my Sabres were as "arrogant" as The Lightning.

Of course that would mean they were at least half as good as The Lightning......:thumbu:

I never perceived The Bolts as arrogant, and after meeting Steve Yzerman a few years back , they are fine with me - except when they play us.....

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If you wanted a good defenseman maybe they shouldn't have taken Hodgson over Karlsson... Not like the Canucks didn't have multiple top 10 picks that decade.

Are you implying not only that in the year 2008, Erik Karlsson was the easy pick over Cody Hodgson right after a 12 pt U18? and then he outscored John Tavares in the WJC with 16 pts in 6 games, but that hindsight doesn't matter and a team should be liable for not taking a player who had no business going in their pick range?

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
As mentioned the Canucks were the NHL's #1 offence, #1 defence, #1 Powerplay, and #1 PK. Art Ross, Hart, Selke, etc

But I'm surprised people are ragging on the defence though. Yes, they didn't have a true #1, but from 2011-12 they did have:

Ehrhoff 8th in Norris trophy voting
Hamhius 10th in Norris trophy voting
Edler 13th in Norris trophy voting
Bieksa 18th in Norris trophy voting

That's 4 Dmen in the top 20 of the league on the same team. Throw in Salo (IMO their best Dman then) and Tanev, Ballard, the Canucks had a very very good D core.

Reactions: gab6511

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
+ Mcdonagh and Miller are now strong parts of the system, which wasn't the case last year. Not to mention Stamkos, who is playing alot better (we'll see about the playoffs though).
Plus Sustr, Dotchin and Kunitz are gone (HM: Callahan).

LeafMaple

Feb 3, 2019
The canucks were flooded with injuries and the refs and the NHL were against the canucks, the Canuck should’ve won that year they were the better team. Say I’m complaining but this has happened before, The 2002 NBA finals were rigged and you can go back and watch to see that they were rigged. Refs rigging isn’t anything new

Reactions: TurboLemon

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.
Could you please elaborate on the Lightning players being arrogant part? Where did you get that from?

Reactions: Phobia Catalyst

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
As a Canucks fan I know that the 10-11 Canucks team was dominate in the regular season, but if you compare the two teams on paper it is no match. The Canucks had nowhere near the D- core Tampa has and in particular we were missing that elite level D-man that Tampa has in Headman. Not to mention we didn’t have the forward depth that the lighting have. I mean Mason Raymond, Mikael Samuelson and Chris Higgins were Kesler’s Wingers on the 2nd line. Now those guys are all solid dependable players don’t get me wrong, but they’re fringe 2nd liners at best.

Aside from the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler and Luongo the team was comprised of top 9 forwards and a lunch pail get it done by committee blueline. Once injuries hit us in the finals are lack of depth was evident and from there Chara and Thomas shut us down.

This Tampa team just feels different. This core has made it to the Stanley Cup finals before and has two trips to the eastern conference finals to boot. They are a team that looks like they are on the cusp of doing something big. There is a reason they are flirting with potentially a 60 win season.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Any team can lose, but I wouldn't base my playoff hopes on if my team can win the most scratch offs.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
That Vancouver team was lucky to beat the Hawks in round 1 that year. Needed game 7 OT to do it and that was before all those injuries they suffered later in their post season run.

I heard they are building that statue of Chris Campoli anyday now.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Tampa Bay is the 2.0 version of Vancouver. Upgraded in every way, and much better all round.

The iPhone 5(Vancouver) looked incredible once upon a time, but is nothing compared to the iPhone 10(Tampa) or whatever you have now.

Reactions: Nucky10

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You don't remember the Canucks if your claiming the Bolts are way better then that Canucks team. That Canucks team was loaded top to bottom lacking a number 1D but they had 6 top 4 Dman. Injuries killed them if Hamhuis doesn't get hurt and Kesler was healthy they most likely win the Cup. Erhoff was hurt as well I believe.
No.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Vancouver’s defense wasn’t even close to what Tampa has right now: Hedman and McD (two legit 1As), Cernak, Stralman, Sergachev, Coburn, Girardi.

Even the offense falls short. Vancouver scored 258 goals on the season. With 9 games to go, Tampa sits at 281 and likely will far eclipse 300. When you account for the differences in season scoring (which I personally beive is a little overused around here, perhaps more talent in the league plays a part) Tampa still comes out far ahead. Tampa’s offensive depth is much superior to what was on that 2010-2011 team.

And yet Tampa is still beatable in the playoffs. Every team is exposed to being ousted. Luck and health are two huge factors.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
After the last game when they acquired the President trophy, I saw an interview with Hedman where he said the team still wanted to get better.

I mean “better”? They just won the presidents trophy before almost every other team even made the playoffs and he thinks they can be better. Pretty sure that is the definition of ARROGANCE.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Did the Canucks beat them in a series in five games the year before losing to them in the finals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad