TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Ah this old chestnut. If my beer league team trained harder we would've swept the Bruins in 2011. It didn't happen, I'm shocked people still bring this up, another good reason to hate the 2011 Canucks, people are still trying to delegitimize their loss nearly a decade after the fact.

Lol that team did something to you. You're literally the only that can hate a team from 8 yrs ago.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Bolts are better than that Canucks team

They had a solid defense with depth but not a #1 guy like Hedman.

Sedin twins and Kesler were their Kucherov-Point-Stamkos but i think the secondary guys weren’t as good.. Burrows, Samuelsson, Raymond, Higgins and Torres vs Palat, Johnson, Miller, Killorn, Gourde...

Canucks also had the one and only Tanner Glass on their 4th line, played almost every game in that season

Heck, i might take this years Bruins post TDL team over that one.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Lol that team did something to you. You're literally the only that can hate a team from 8 yrs ago.

...you're commenting on a thread that mentions the 2011 Canucks arrogance in the OP:help:, and the "arrogance" of theirs is mentioned so nonchalantly because everyone hated them. I'm not exactly emotionally scarred over them, ya know cause its a game and because they lost spectacularly anyway. I hate people making weak *** excuses to try and excuse that specific team, especially when that excuse applies to every team whose ever played in the NHL playoffs since like...well, forever. Its petty and small.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Canucks Defence consisted of Salo, Hamuis, Bieksa, Erhoff, Edler, Tanev. That is an incredible top 6. Almost a decade later Edler & Tanev are the Canucks 2 best Dmen by a country mile.

I'd rather have a real #1 in Hedman. But no disrespect meant to the Canucks blueline.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.

Nope.

"Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster)":
By "never won big" you can only mean "never won the Cup", because this Lightning team has won the Conference Finals. But you didn't phrase it that way, because obviously "never won the Cup (current roster)" is something that >75% of all teams in the league have in common, as well as >40% of Cup-winning teams. In other words, a worthless parallel. Made even more worthless when you consider that the Nucks had never gotten past the conference semis, whereas this Lighting roster has 3 ECF appearances in the last 4 seasons (one of which they won).

But that's not where this really falls apart. That's where you call the Nucks a "regular season dominating juggernaut". Their goal differential was +77, 26 better than Boston's +51. Tampa's goal difference is +96, 44 better than Calgary's +52.

Now, does any of that mean my Bolts are a lock to win the Cup? Of course not. Heck, it's not even more likely than not that they win the Cup -- there are 15 other teams that will have a shot at it as well. But it does mean Tampa's odds are probably somewhat better than Vancouver's were -- maybe something like 30% chance vs Vancouver's 25%, just to make up some numbers.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
There some love in here for the 2011 Canucks defence. It is not warranted. That team never had anything close to Victor Hedman. They had depth but none of them were even close to Norris trophy level. They had a collection of good two and three d-men, thats it. Bieksa was horribly overrated.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
I'd rather have a real #1 in Hedman. But no disrespect meant to the Canucks blueline.
Would be nice to pick second overall and get a defenceman like that.

We did pretty good for all of those dmen we had.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
That Vancouver team was lucky to beat the Hawks in round 1 that year. Needed game 7 OT to do it and that was before all those injuries they suffered later in their post season run.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The 2011 Vancouver Canucks lead the league in goals, goals against, penalty kill and were 3rd on the power play.

The team was completely beaten up in the finals a healthy Canucks team wins the cup.

So yeah great thread.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That 2010-11 Vancouver Canucks team is one of the most hated teams in all of hockey history. I really don't get that feeling permeating through hockey for the 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning. More just a kind of reserved awe at how well they fit together.

I also think the Lightning are much better.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Would be nice to pick second overall and get a defenceman like that.

We did pretty good for all of those dmen we had.

If you wanted a good defenseman maybe they shouldn't have taken Hodgson over Karlsson... Not like the Canucks didn't have multiple top 10 picks that decade.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad