Proposal: Taylor Hall to Dallas

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Dallas badly needs more talent at forward. And could be a team that when healthy has great centre depth to pair with Hall to get his game back.

Proposal

To Dallas

Taylor Hall @50% retained.

To Buffalo

Anton Khudobin
Conditional 2021 1st rd pick (first rd pick IF Dallas makes playoffs, stays a 2nd if they dont).
Riley Damiani (former 5th rd pick in 2018, currently leading scoring for Texas Stars in his first season in AHL)

Buffalo gets a veteran goalie to stabilise them in net, as well as an exciting scorer prospect plus The pick, with the conditions put it in the 18 to 43 range.

Dallas despite a slughish year with injuries, early covid issues and the storms delaying their season...are still in win now mode for next two seasons. (Could be a good fit to extend Hall as well)

Adding Hall with the possibility of seguin returning might be enoigh for the stars to lock into 4th in the central this year.

Oettinger would be Dallas number 1 till Bishop is ready to take some starts.

Balance close enough? Or more needed ...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Buffalo should make that gamble all day. Dallas is tied for 20th in point percentage at the moment. Barring some unreal run in the 2nd half, they'd likely have the lowest or second lowest (depending on what happens out West) among playoff teams. That means the 17th or 18th overall pick if Dallas doesn't get past 2 of Tampa/Carolina/Florida. A pick in the low 40s is the downside.

I think that's ill-advised for Dallas for the same reason.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I don’t even follow the stars but Damiani is not getting moved for a rental lol

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Price is a bit high considering the play this year fe Hall but is a well thought out trade proposal, fits Buffalo's needs well without asking unreasonable demands from Dallas. I think if the pick was lower it'd work better.

I think the culture part would kill the trade. I wouldn't want Hall in the same room as Benn and Seguin.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Gross from a Stars perspective. I wouldn't even want to trade Khudobin straight up, he's a team guy good locker room presense. Hall can rot elsewhere, no way on Damiani and a conditional first. Sabres would kill for this package.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Dallas badly needs more talent at forward. And could be a team that when healthy has great centre depth to pair with Hall to get his game back.

Proposal

To Dallas

To Buffalo

Anton Khudobin
Conditional 2021 1st rd pick (first rd pick IF Dallas makes playoffs, stays a 2nd if they dont).
Riley Damiani (former 5th rd pick in 2018, currently leading scoring for Texas Stars in his first season in AHL)

Buffalo gets a veteran goalie to stabilise them in net, as well as an exciting scorer prospect plus The pick, with the conditions put it in the 18 to 43 range.

Dallas despite a slughish year with injuries, early covid issues and the storms delaying their season...are still in win now mode for next two seasons. (Could be a good fit to extend Hall as well)

Adding Hall with the possibility of seguin returning might be enoigh for the stars to lock into 4th in the central this year.

If anything I'd just tweak it a bit.

Hall(50%)

for

Khudobin
Damiani
DAL's 1st in 2021 (Conditions are that would be Top 10 Protected) IF DAL misses the playoffs and the pick doesn't land in the Top 10, Buffalo sends MTL's 3rd to Dallas and the teams swap 2nds
If the pick lands in the Top 10, the 1st can be pushed to 2022 and would swap 2nd rounders in 2022 if Buffalo has a higher 2nd than Dallas (must be their own pick)

Reactions: Luckylarry

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Why would any team want Taylor Hall? He’s been a loser everywhere he’s been

The same thing could be said about Ryan O'Rielly.
he only made the playoffs one time before joining the blues.

His first year doesn't count, because he was playing 4th line minutes, and, put up 15 points in 82 games.

If anything, Hall has made it to the playoffs more times than O'Rielly did at that stage of his career. Also, the same could be said about phil "the loser" kessel. Look how that turned out for PIT?

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Maybe stems from Brian Lawton speculating Dallas was in on Hall. It’s a lot to pay for a rental, especially one with the reputation Hall seems to have, but the Stars have to be looking at their one-goal losses and wondering what one more scorer could do.

I don’t know if Hall is worth the pick, but I like the idea of losing Khudobin’s salary. Dallas would likely have to take back a goalie for expansion draft purposes. I don’t know if I dangle Damiani either.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That's actually a pretty fair offer, based on Dallas trying to make a run this year. (The team either wants to or it doesn't). Dallas might add in first round protection. Buffalo probably looking at mid-round pick. At $3.33 M and two years Khudobin might be overpriced in market today. It's close but he fits Buffalo needs, especially if Ullmark isn't resigned. Gives them another year to develop UPL as a goalie in AHL which isn't a bad idea. I don't known the AHL prospect but numbers look good.

As Sabres fan, I like it. If I were a Dallas fan, I would be asking why am trading prospects for a shot this year. That said, gives you some fresh cap room for next two years with a $3.33 M goalie off the books, who is 34. (Also why if I'm Sabres I might not do it. Gun shy on older goalies playing behind crap D after Carter Hutton.)

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Proposal

To Dallas

To Buffalo

Anton Khudobin

Honestly this is a pretty well thought out proposal.

Agreed. Trade is well thought out and addresses team need at a #1b/#2 goalie who's signed for two more seasons and the pick with condition is fine, along with the prospect

I am so with you here. I think those three being together would make me feel queasier than if I ate an entire Costco jug of mayonnaise. Just massive douchebag overload.

I don't know if Hall is seen as a locker room cancer around the league, but the guy has been a warrior in Buffalo. He took a slapper to the jaw in the last game against NJ, then came back in the game with stitches and a swollen jaw, looking like Quagmire.

He's been positive and composed in all media post-game interviews and by all accounts comes off like a mature, level-headed professional.

While Buffalo isn't a Taylor Hall away from contending, he's a guy I wouldn't be upset if he's brought back under a reasonable contract because he gives a 100% every shift, makes hits, takes punishment, and by all impressions leads on the ice. He has obvious faults: 2 goals on the year (but that's pretty much the case for the entire roster,) good at getting breakaways but not scoring on them, and at times makes bad passes into traffic when he should be shooting in certain situations, but he still brings much more positives to the game than he takes away

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If Dallas can fit Hall as is they should do a handshake deal where they keep khudobin for the run then move him to Buffalo for past considerations in the offseason. He's also the type of guy that cab go a long way to helping Buffalo forge a close knit group

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't think it's crazy but I'd probably take Damiani out and replace him with a lesser prospect.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s a nicely done proposal. And the value is probably very close. But I don’t think Buffalo agrees to this. If Buffalo is retaining 50%, I think you’ll find other teams giving up a 1st.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Is a 12 year vet who is averaging just over 18G , 30A a year really worth a 1st plus at the trade deadline.

That is what TH is averaging in his career

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
As a Dallas fan i would do this. Dobby if not traded by the deadline is going to be exposed for the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00