Tavares Worst Captain Ever

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
The guy isn't just a coach killer but also a GM/Assistant Coach/Soon to be Ex-President/ Killer. Yeah, he puts up points, just like he did with the Islanders, but they're all powerplay points and the team around his leadership always suck. Even with the same players they went from putrid to conference finals mostly by his absence and player responsibility. I honestly believe those around him really aren't impressed by him or just don't believe what he says. He obviously doesn't come across as someone who has your back and you would go to war with you. That said I believe Matthews is that guy. They obviously need to address the gorilla in the room and switch captionship already. Way, Way overdue!!!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Lol no.

There's been far worse captains, even scrolling back in Leafs history: Dion Phaneuf ring a bell?
Neon Deon was the leader on terrible teams, JT has been the leader on stacked teams (not this year lol). Phaneuf was asked to be a #1 when he wasn’t, and was hardly a strong captain, but at least those teams had some pride. JT is a better player than Phaneuf ever was, but he cant lead the Leafs out of a wet paper bag.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
1699498811986.jpeg

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The guy isn't just a coach killer but also a GM/Assistant Coach/Soon to be Ex-President/ Killer. Yeah, he puts up points, just like he did with the Islanders, but they're all powerplay points and the team around his leadership always suck. Even with the same players they went from putrid to conference finals mostly by his absence and player responsibility. I honestly believe those around him really aren't impressed by him or just don't believe what he says. He obviously doesn't come across as someone who has your back and you would go to war with you. That said I believe Matthews is that guy. They obviously need to address the gorilla in the room and switch captionship already. Way, Way overdue!!!
I've said it for years......Tavares is an expert at maintaining his ppg average WITHOUT making his team any better.

The Islanders actually improved the year he left , and the leafs showed no real improvement the season he arrived. Weird but true.

Him and Nurse come to mind when the talk of over paid players comes up......may soon be joined by Huberdeau

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When Tavares speaks the people listen. He’ll no doubt transition to politics when the game is done, and I for one welcome his leadership. Man is a visionary, a leader, a bastion of clarity.
lol
and a minus player on a team full of plus players

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Not the worst ever.

He's as steady as they come, which is a good personality to have in a big market. You never see him get over-emotional in front of the press or throw someone under the bus in a fit.

Unfortunately, he's a bit robotic on the ice which doesn't help motivate the troops in big-game situations. That's his flaw and I think it's been the same since he was a teen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad