Tavares Worst Captain Ever

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
lol come on leafs fans... Tavares isnt that bad, we all knew he would regress near the end of the contract. it's not his fault the cap didnt rise.
what you guys all expected us to just walk through Boston or something? we have like 8 years of FAILURE. how did you expect any less.

the series also isnt over and last I checked Tavares was leading the team in take aways. and I dunno if you have noticed but Matthews isnt makeing all that much of a difference either.

relax and enjoy some good playoff hockey cause we likely only have a few games left. this team never had what it takes. the closest they got was last years roster and they only managed 5/16.

also far from the worse
amen.

Is he overpaid, yes, It is what it is there. The whole "core" is over paid. Im still grateful for him scoring that O.T. goal in game 6 last year, If he doesnt score there, I doubt it happens and we lose that series. Not the worst captain at all and as the good ol saying goes in HF. "AINEC"

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I am not making that up. I knew several Toronto Maple Leafs fans that were predicting 70 wins after signing Tavares.

All fans do this, not just Toronto. Look at Ottawa. Two summers of f***ing Pierre, and they were gonna show us how it's done. Funny how that turned out.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil and HofT

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The bench drama and immaturity shown by the Leaf’s big stars tonight may have just proven this thread to be correct.

Reactions: Macheteops

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tavares is a boat anchor for the Leafs at the moment. He has killed their chances of competing due to his regression. And there is no way to get rid of him with his NMC. Leafs will have to reassess in 2025-2026. Leafs are also running out of picks to make trades with.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
How is Tavares a worse captain than Brady Tkachuk who tells the fans to shutup while missing the playoffs every year?
Nobody in this thread had even mentioned Brady, yet you dragged him up unprompted in a desperate attempt to deflect attention off Tavares.

I'll happily take a 24-year-old Brady Tkachuk at 8.2 million over a 33-year-old John Tavares at 11 million - and so would 90% of hockey fans. Though I do suppose he is outscoring Brady in the playoffs this year with his one goal.

Cope. Seethe even.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Staple a 1st rder and 3rd and Blackhawks will take that horrible Cap hit . Then Leafs can make some moves / Stamkos .

• Haha
Reactions: Christien

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Nobody in this thread had even mentioned Brady, yet you dragged him up unprompted in a desperate attempt to deflect attention off Tavares.

I'll happily take a 24-year-old Brady Tkachuk at 8.2 million over a 33-year-old John Tavares at 11 million - and so would 90% of hockey fans. Though I do suppose he is outscoring Brady in the playoffs this year with his one goal.

Cope. Seethe even.

When the thread is worst captain ever - are we not supposed to compare?

He's not even worst active captain - re: Brady Tkachuk.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
When the thread is worst captain ever - are we not supposed to compare?

He's not even worst active captain - re: Brady Tkachuk.
And I will happily continue to take a captain who - while still young and gaining experience in the role - wears his heart on his sleeve, steps up, and very clearly cares as opposed to one who seems to care about cashing his paycheque and is otherwise invisible.

Tkachuk's statements, while ill-advised, were made out of passion in defense of his teammates and coach. And his teammates backed him up on it.

Does anyone actually think Tavares is sticking around and keeping the 'C' once that deal is up? He's a lame duck.

Reactions: Macheteops

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And I will happily continue to take a captain who - while still young and gaining experience in the role - wears his heart on his sleeve, steps up, and very clearly cares as opposed to one who seems to care about cashing his paycheque and is otherwise invisible.

Tkachuk's statements, while ill-advised, were made out of passion in defense of his teammates and coach. And his teammates backed him up on it.

Does anyone actually think Tavares is sticking around and keeping the 'C' once that deal is up? He's a lame duck.

Good for you.

I'd take Tavares over Brady Tkachuk. A declining Tavares put up 65 point as a centre and is good at faceoffs. Brady Tkachuk in his prime put up 74 points this season as a winger.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
TML have a great core on paper and in the regular season, but if they can’t get out of the first round this year they need a major “player for player trade”, a shakeup of sorts. It’s clear things aren’t working when it matters most with this group of guys. Too many times they’ve disappointed in the playoffs on the backs of the same guys.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good for you.

I'd take Tavares over Brady Tkachuk. A declining Tavares put up 65 point as a centre and is good at faceoffs. Brady Tkachuk in his prime put up 74 points this season as a winger.
Brendan Shanahan's HF account confirmed.

Because no one would take this current version of Tavares over Brady Tkachuk. He literally got outscored by Tkachuk despite the fact he played on a team and PP that included a 69 goal scorer, a 40 goal scorer, and a third player who paced for near 100 points. That's actually pretty pitiful to produce as little as Tavares did given who he had to play with at 5on5 and on the PP.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I highly disagree.

Not a leafs fan but, Tavares is not the problem
i'd rather blame their golden boy Matthews
- but for reasons, he always gets the pass, i would have long time ago shifted Matthews to wing position

Yes, Tavares signing was the thing that started their fall (it really begun with the hiring of Dubas)
but too late to cry the wolf or what ever

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Brendan Shanahan's HF account confirmed.

Because no one would take this current version of Tavares over Brady Tkachuk. He literally got outscored by Tkachuk despite the fact he played on a team and PP that included a 69 goal scorer, a 40 goal scorer, and a third player who paced for near 100 points. That's actually pretty pitiful to produce as little as Tavares did given who he had to play with at 5on5 and on the PP.

Brady played more than Tavares. I don't disagree Brady outproduced him this year - but this is Brady's peak vs Tavares decline and there was less than a 10 point difference.

Are we talking the worst year of Tavares vs the best year of Brady or who you would take over their careers? Judging Tavares as a captain based on a single year at the end of his career when he's been a captain for over a decade seems pretty ridiculous to me.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Cope. Seethe even.
least obnoxious Sens fan

• Haha
Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Brady played more than Tavares. I don't disagree Brady outproduced him this year - but this is Brady's peak vs Tavares decline and there was less than a 10 point difference.

Are we talking the worst year of Tavares vs the best year of Brady or who you would take over their careers? Judging Tavares as a captain based on a single year at the end of his career when he's been a captain for over a decade seems pretty ridiculous to me.
I mean, what has a Tavares-lead team ever done when it mattered? He's been in the league since 2009 and has made it to the second round twice his entire career. It's not like this is the first year he's been a captain of a team that's been a wet fart in the playoffs.

Obviously the thread title is hyperbole (ie. WORST captain EVAR!). So while that's a bit of an exaggeration, he's not exactly been a good playoff performer, either, and none of his teams have ever made any noise. So worst ever? Maybe not. But a below par one, for sure.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I mean, what has a Tavares-lead team ever done when it mattered? He's been in the league since 2009 and has made it to the second round twice his entire career. It's not like this is the first year he's been a captain of a team that's been a wet fart in the playoffs.

Obviously the thread title is hyperbole (ie. WORST captain EVAR!). So while that's a bit of an exaggeration, he's not exactly been a good playoff performer, either, and none of his teams have ever made any noise. So worst ever? Maybe not. But a below par one, for sure.

Sure, I'm not saying he's a great captain.

However, what has a Brady-lead team ever done when it mattered? Early in their career Brady led teams have been less successful than Tavares led teams.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The Leafs could be revealed to be a shell corporation for a paramilitary death squad and Leafs fans would still find a way to fixate on how the Sens suck

Sure, I'm not saying he's a great captain.

However, what has a Brady-lead team ever done when it mattered? Early in their career Brady led teams have been less successful than Tavares led teams.
Make a thread about it. No one taking the bait here

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
That team is absolutely f***ed until his 11 million comes off the books.

They need to rid themselves of little Mitch as well as can the entire coaching staff/Shanny....way too many losers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad