Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think that I'm just confused on what the Islanders are trying to do. They trade Strome for Eberle which is what kind of lateral in a way? And then trade Hamonic for draft picks. Are they trying to prepare for Tavares leaving or was that to shave money? I just don't get it, I'd think they wouldn't trade a top 4 defender if they are trying to show JT they are wanting to compete with him. But then again it is GMGS
Eberle>Strome...but Eberle still kinda sucks.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Which teams have hole like Blues 1c?

A lot of teams, but the ones that would be a contender with a 1C (teams Tavares could be interested in) would be

Montreal
Columbus
Ottawa
Rangers
Nashville (although they do have Johansen)
Minnesota
Carolina
Calgary

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If you're trading Tavares, you're not trading him within the conference IMO.

That would leave Minnesota and St. Louis and maybe Calgary as potential options.

All that said, I still think he somehow stays in Brooklyn

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If you're trading Tavares, you're not trading him within the conference IMO.

That would leave Minnesota and St. Louis and maybe Calgary as potential options.

All that said, I still think he somehow stays in Brooklyn

If the list was that narrow though...how they hell does he not prefer Stl? Calagary is a roller coaster that dips into a dumpster fire often. Minnesota....sighs....no one wants to hear Scaaaaare fehr minnesotta constantly.

If he's looking for superb wingers, its Tarasenko, and its not close. No team that would be in the mix has a winger of that ilk

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Eberle is superior to Strome and friends with Tavares from their junior days.

They made room for Pulock by moving Hamonic.

Eberle>Strome...but Eberle still kinda sucks.

Minor point, but I am not as certain about that as you two are. Eberle is better now. Strome is 3 yrs younger and with some coaching help, could improve his defensive play and become a much more complete player. Or, he could be a bust. Personally, I would rather take the chance on Strome's potential, than Eberle as he is. However, the Isle's choosing Eberle may be a gesture to JT that they are committed to the present as well as the future.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Minor point, but I am not as certain about that as you two are. Eberle is better now. Strome is 3 yrs younger and with some coaching help, could improve his defensive play and become a much more complete player. Or, he could be a bust. Personally, I would rather take the chance on Strome's potential, than Eberle as he is.
my point was Eberle sucks honestly.....he's better then no Eberle but its not like Snow went put and made improvlements. Look at what Dallas did....thats a GM thats serious improving the team.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
If the list was that narrow though...how they hell does he not prefer Stl? Calagary is a roller coaster that dips into a dumpster fire often. Minnesota....sighs....no one wants to hear Scaaaaare fehr minnesotta constantly.

If he's looking for superb wingers, its Tarasenko, and its not close. No team that would be in the mix has a winger of that ilk

Calgary has too much talent to not break out eventually, and by all accounts, Boudreau is the kind of coach lots of players want to play under. I could see him going to either (if he makes it that far).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
my point was Eberle sucks honestly.....he's better then no Eberle but its not like Snow went put and made improvlements. Look at what Dallas did....thats a GM thats serious improving the team.

That was my line of thinking. It's like Snow was preparing for the worst but at the same time trying to upgrade in a round about way. It's not like the moves he made show someone hey we are working as hard as we can to get you help. It's more of a hey plz don't leave we don't want you to but if you do we're prepared.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Calgary has too much talent to not break out eventually, and by all accounts, Boudreau is the kind of coach lots of players want to play under. I could see him going to either (if he makes it that far).

Thats the key part. Although you could make an argument that getting Hamonic could be a draw if they were friends.

As for BB....meh, I guess. Still though, the core is old and Id say their window isnt guaranteed.

All I can do is put myself in JTs shoes and what I would like. If I were a centerman, Id want the best wingers available, and Tarasenko tilts that scale. The other teams seem like Schwartz level support

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Thats the key part. Although you could make an argument that getting Hamonic could be a draw if they were friends.

As for BB....meh, I guess. Still though, the core is old and Id say their window isnt guaranteed.

All I can do is put myself in JTs shoes and what I would like. If I were a centerman, Id want the best wingers available, and Tarasenko tilts that scale. The other teams seem like Schwartz level support

When looking at the vacuum of Minnesota, sure, but other teams he could go to have top notch wingers. For example, Forsberg in Nashville, Guadreau and Tkachuk in Calgary, Montreal has Pacioretty, Carolina has Aho and Skinner. There are very attractive other teams for Tavares. I think Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Parayko is a big boost, but it really depends on JT. What's really important to him?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When looking at the vacuum of Minnesota, sure, but other teams he could go to have top notch wingers. For example, Forsberg in Nashville, Guadreau and Tkachuk in Calgary, Montreal has Pacioretty, Carolina has Aho and Skinner. There are very attractive other teams for Tavares. I think Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Parayko is a big boost, but it really depends on JT. What's really important to him?

And Tarasenko is still a tier above those guys.

I highly...highly doubt Nashville is going to add a 10m centerman.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
And Tarasenko is still a tier above those guys.

I highly...highly doubt Nashville is going to add a 10m centerman.

Why? They already have $6mil in cap space. If they get rid of Bonino, that's more than enough to fit Tavares, while also not messing with the rest of the team which, ya know, just went to the Stanley Cup last season. That's gotta look pretty attractive to Tavares.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Why? They already have $6mil in cap space. If they get rid of Bonino, that's more than enough to fit Tavares, while also not messing with the rest of the team which, ya know, just went to the Stanley Cup last season. That's gotta look pretty attractive to Tavares.

long term projections, Ellis is coming up and then Josi. They have their high dollar center

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
long term projections, Ellis is coming up and then Josi. They have their high dollar center

They have $6M in cap right now, and the deals you referenced for Ellis and Josi are two and three years away, respectively. I would expect Rinne to come off the books during that time frame, replaced by a cheaper Saros deal. Fiala is the only other notable player not locked up long term, and there is little to suggest he is going to be anything approaching a $6M player on his next deal, so his number isn't an issue.

Bottom line - they have plenty of space to add Tavares now and in the future, just maybe not the level of supporting wingers we could offer. I would see them and Montreal as the biggest threats if Tavares hits UFA or gets dealt this season.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think Nash becomes a destination possibility if when Rinne's contract is up he doesn't resign for a massive amount and they use Saros as their starter and sign to an Allen like contract.

Doing that along with Emelin coming off the books it could be a possibility but fitting JT in next year when the new contract will work would be really hard for Nash atm. Would hurt their bottom pairing but with that top 4 it can't be too big of a problem. Would be interesting to see if he does go there if they would have to send Wilson back.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They have $6M in cap right now, and the deals you referenced for Ellis and Josi are two and three years away, respectively. I would expect Rinne to come off the books during that time frame, replaced by a cheaper Saros deal. Fiala is the only other notable player not locked up long term, and there is little to suggest he is going to be anything approaching a $6M player on his next deal, so his number isn't an issue.

Bottom line - they have plenty of space to add Tavares now and in the future, just maybe not the level of supporting wingers we could offer. I would see them and Montreal as the biggest threats if Tavares hits UFA or gets dealt this season.

The guys I referenced are going to get large paydays when their term is up. I did forget rinne's contract is up in 18/19.

Again though, my point was I dont see them persuing him. Not that they cant, that's not what I was getting at. A much cheaper Duchene is a better option

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It will be epic if Preds really get Tavares so many Blues fan and especially in this board some guys faces literally will meltdown. Oh the irony.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It will be epic if Preds really get Tavares so many Blues fan and especially in this board some guys faces literally will meltdown. Oh the irony.

Shouldn't you be giving Poile a foot massage? Or attending a symposium as key note speaker on how Finns are the bestest ever cause Finland?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Wow you guys are unforgiving.

He wakes/stays up at crazy hours to watch the team play. He takes time out of his life to post on a message board and mainly on the Blues section.

He has his opinions and they can be out of the park but that's what he truly thinks. I appreciate how he has the balls to post what he wants in spite of the ridicule he deals with. Oh my someone isn't hippity skippity positive and doesn't like the current management group. He thinks this way because he's passionate about the team. Not because he hates the team.

#TeamRanksu

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Wow you guys are unforgiving.

He wakes/stays up at crazy hours to watch the team play. He takes time out of his life to post on a message board and mainly on the Blues section.

He has his opinions and they can be out of the park but that's what he truly thinks. I appreciate how he has the balls to post what he wants in spite of the ridicule he deals with. Oh my someone isn't hippity skippity positive and doesn't like the current management group. He thinks this way because he's passionate about the team. Not because he hates the team.

#TeamRanksu

Has he ever posted a positive thing about the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad