Post-Game Talk: Tavares' Old Team vs Stanley Cup Champions 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I can agree with both cause he looked great in the 4th line too but let’s be real, it’s not like Bura is lighting it up with his 8 goals this year

When Haglein got moved up, the 3rd line looked completely different

Burakovsky has 8 points in his last 11 games with no PP time. The third line has been their best ES scoring line since the All Star break and 65 is a big reason why.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Burakovsky has 8 points in his last 11 games with no PP time. The third line has been their best ES scoring line since the All Star break and 65 is a big reason why.
I'm not a Burakovsky fan but I have to agree that he is a big reason for the recent offensive production from the 3rd line. Both Burakovsky and Connolly are playing well.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Respectfully but when Stephenson is on the ice the puck never leaves the Caps zone, the complete opposite is true when Hagelin is on the ice. Stephenson might be a SLIGHTLY better offensive player than Hagelin, and I mean slightly, but the possession trade off is 100% worth it.

Ref last nights game, I don't think the Caps have had such a dominate game all season in terms of possession. Every player well above 50%.

View attachment 194357
With 18 a good result when he has the puck in the offensive end was the goalie holding on to the puck, and the worst result was he misses the net on a shot with velocity so the other team is going the other way while all the Caps momentum is going toward the other net. With Hagelin he cycles, he gets the puck along the boards, creates rebounds. So much better in the offensive end.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Let's be fair to Trotz. His entire career except for 4 years in Washington he coached have not teams. He has overperformed with those two teams. With the Capitals he recharged them from a playoff miss in one season. Then ran off 2 president's trophies and a cup. His team ran Babcock and his media darlings roster out of the building. Lets not trash the guy. He is brilliant

I’m not saying he isn’t great. So is Andy Reid. They have remarkably similar coaching careers. Taking previously weak and moribund franchises (Nash and NYI for Barry, Philly and KC for Andy) and making them instant and long lasting contenders.

I wouldn’t use brilliant for either of them. Brilliance is for guys that win it all repeatedly. Jackson, Gibbs, Belichek, Bowman, Arbour, Popovich, etc.

Reid and Trotz are great coaches and set up amazing programs. But they both lack in game management when the chips are down. Caps one Cup (Reirden) notwithstanding.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Haglein needs to stay on the 3rd line, I love what he brings

Also, for those concerned about slow starts in playoffs, we did the exact same thing last year too remember? It frustrated the hell out of us but come playoff time we were good

I think Hagelin will keep switching between 3rd and 4th lines as need arises. When Eller is matched up against an offensive line and needs some defensive help, give him Hagelin. When you want that line to score, give him Burakovsky.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the playoffs we see Hagelin with Backstrom and Oshie in an ultimate 'You shall not pass!' combination.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I tell you what, I don't fancy playing the Isles in the 1st round. We might win but we'd get banged about in a long and physical series, not what you need in round 1.

I'm more concerned about playing a team like Carolina that's quick, disciplined and refuses to engage in physical/nasty stuff.

Isles are a whatever team. You have to gameplan for their 4th line and Barzal. On the other hand, the whole middle portion of their line up is just bland mush. Players like Nelson, Bailey, Eberle just don't strike fear in me.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad