Value of: Tavares at the deadline

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Not really. NHL contracts are standardized, and you have seasoned pros working on both sides. They were free to negotiate these things for years and could have finalized things since July 1st. The complexity of contracts isn't a valid reason.

There really is no reason to not want to do it during the season. He has an agent to do the actual negotiation, if he wants to stay rather than figure certain things out first, it's reasonable to just have his agent tell him what the numbers on the table are or when they met a number he's willing to go to. I agree that he might/probably needs something and/or hasn't made up his mind entirely. Those are the reasonable interpretations. That doesn't go against what I was saying.

I wasn't talking about complexity of a contract per se, just the complexity of the things signing (or not) the contract will cause. The money, the Cup, the fanbase, the expectations, the GM, the arena (or arenas), it's all a big commitment. If he needs his sweet time making the decision, that's his right. It's not like there's an obligation to resign the contract on the first day it's legaly possible for them.

If someone sat me down at a table and said: "Here's 70 million dollars, but your life for the next 8 years will look like that..." I would take every single moment I would possibly could to revise and think through and then overthink the decision a few times. It's entirely possible that he really really wants to be an Islander for life, but he also really really wants to win a Cup and let's face it, it doesn't look very likely at the moment. So if he needs time to decide what he wants more in this scenario... Sure, it's not good for the team. But what it comes down to is do we want a chance to resign Tavares or have another 1st round pick, I say go with the first option.

What I said really isn't about his character (let alone his talent; I am aware you're most likely not talking about me there, but I'd prefer to deal with arguments that actually apply to my point). It's about realistically interpreting things professional athletes say to the public. Few dare admit they have questions about where their future lies, and the few that do tend to be harshly criticized (as we, probably including JT have rather recently witnessed with Doughty and Karlsson). Saying that you want to stay is the absolute standard in the business. Taking it as anything more in the light of everything that can be observed in this business just seems naive.

The fact is, people right now are behaving like he went on national television and said he's not resigning with Islanders and Snow isn't doing anything about it. And yeah, sure, he wouldn't do exactly that, but also his answers have been more than standard athlete non-committal speech about teams and unity and letting the agents do their thing.

And no, I wasn't talking about you, but about my general impression after reading a lot of Tavares' related posts and comments. Because if I had to form an opinion only on the base of that I would say he's really overpaid on his current contract. He's too slow, he doesn't do this, he doesn't do that, he's not a team player, he's a bad captain, he doesn't smile the right way, he doesn't have what it takes to be the face of a franchise and so on.

While I understand how the situation looks right now, do people really think he's THAT bad?

Last edited:

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
When a player signs a contract a 18, he knows when he under that teams control for 7 years.
When a team signs a player at age 18, they know they have a control of that player for 7 years.

Now in this case Tavares signed an earlier contract an extension earlier and went past his 7 years as Islander.

I don't understand why fans are upset at players for using their contractual rights as UFAs and move on from their club. These same fans aren't upset when a UFA joins "their" team.

For what you are describing above, people aren't "upset" - they are disappointed if a player they like leaves.

In this case, what some people (not myself) are getting upset over is the lack of public messaging that he will definitely go one way or the other. If Tavares is leaving, fans want the team to be able to get return for him. That's just logical. Personally, I take him at his word that he wants to resign. If he hasn't done it already, I'm sure he has his reasons, and I trust that it will get done. I very well may be very disappointed. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Not really. NHL contracts are standardized, and you have seasoned pros working on both sides. They were free to negotiate these things for years and could have finalized things since July 1st. The complexity of contracts isn't a valid reason.

There really is no reason to not want to do it during the season. He has an agent to do the actual negotiation, if he wants to stay rather than figure certain things out first, it's reasonable to just have his agent tell him what the numbers on the table are or when they met a number he's willing to go to. I agree that he might/probably needs something and/or hasn't made up his mind entirely. Those are the reasonable interpretations. That doesn't go against what I was saying.

Unconditionally agreed.

What I said really isn't about his character (let alone his talent; I am aware you're most likely not talking about me there, but I'd prefer to deal with arguments that actually apply to my point). It's about realistically interpreting things professional athletes say to the public. Few dare admit they have questions about where their future lies, and the few that do tend to be harshly criticized (as we, probably including JT have rather recently witnessed with Doughty and Karlsson). Saying that you want to stay is the absolute standard in the business. Taking it as anything more in the light of everything that can be observed in this business just seems naive.
The difference is this summer he got engaged and his future wife has a medical practice and has been actively speaking with hospital's. He's considerate of her needs as any husband should be why tie her hands when he has time to let things play out and evaluate fully for all concerned?

What's naive is acting precipitously before you have adequate information

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For what you are describing above, people aren't "upset" - they are disappointed if a player they like leaves.

In this case, what some people (not myself) are getting upset over is the lack of public messaging that he will definitely go one way or the other. If Tavares is leaving, fans want the team to be able to get return for him. That's just logical. Personally, I take him at his word that he wants to resign. If he hasn't done it already, I'm sure he has his reasons, and I trust that it will get done. I very well may be very disappointed. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

Tavares not re-signing is due to how the Islanders future looks like. Look at the contracts Snow has to re-sign. The D and goaltending is a major concern for Tavares if you ask me. Snow has some work to do if he is going to improve the resume for Tavares to have confidence this team can be a contender.

- 2018: Tavares, Bailey, Nelson, De Haan, Hickey, Pulock, and a top goalie.

- 2019: Eberle, Lee, Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle

- 2020: Barzal, Aho, Bellows

Islanders depth signed to long term contracts or under team control at the moment: Barzal, Leddy, Ladd, Boychuk, Beauvillier, Aho, Bellows, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Pelech, Mayfield. Add Pulock and Nelson as RFA's to be re-signed this off season.

This is not the same situation as Stamkos!

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Rental John Tavares?

Kyrou/Thomas,
Kostin/Thompson,
NHL Salary (Gunarsson/Sobotka/Berglund/Bouwmeester),
Conditional 1st '2019.
2018 2nd.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Tavares not re-signing is due to how the Islanders future looks like. Look at the contracts Snow has to re-sign. The D and goaltending is a major concern for Tavares if you ask me. Snow has some work to do if he is going to improve the resume for Tavares to have confidence this team can be a contender.

- 2018: Tavares, Bailey, Nelson, De Haan, Hickey, Pulock, and a top goalie.

- 2019: Eberle, Lee, Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle

- 2020: Barzal, Aho, Bellows
Thats What You Hope.

Since Youd like to poach him.

Its not That At All

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Rangers offer a package of Marc Staal and Brendon Smith to help solidify the defense for the next 3-4 years. Cody McLeod to protect the young kids, and the rangers 6th on the condition that he signs with NYR.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thats What You Hope.

Since Youd like to poach him.

Its not That At All

Yes, I hope Tavares walks and signs with the Habs but it's a low probability. However, it's clear to me Tavares is holding Snow and the Islanders hostage with not re-signing. He is saying all the right things at the moment but when I look at the locked up contracts and what work Snow has to do, I think Tavares walks and explores his options in a bidding war for his services this summer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, I hope Tavares walks and signs with the Habs but it's a low probability. However, it's clear to me Tavares is holding Snow and the Islanders hostage with not re-signing. He is saying all the right things at the moment but when I look at the locked up contracts and what work Snow has to do, I think Tavares walks and explores his options in a bidding war for his services this summer.

I just don't understand why he'd walk from the Islanders, and then sign with the Habs.

Tavares: I want to play for a team that's doing everything it can to win

Adding Tavares to Montreal, doesn't make them a team poised to win, IMO.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Because sometimes we do not get to have things that we want. Because contracts worth 70-100 million dollars can be quite tricky. Because Tavares don't want to do this during the season. Because he wants to resign ASAP, but needs something from the organisation/owners/whoever. Because he didn't make a conclusive decision.

And even when it comes to this and Tavares leaves (because sometimes we just don't get to have what we want), he still deserves the respect. What he doesn't deserve is calling his character and/or intentions into question, underselling his hockey talent and whatever else is going on at this moment.

Hey! I totally missed the dynasty years! I wasn't even born then :laugh: But thank you for the welcome and sure, I'll be extremely careful where I step!

I just think that at this point Tavares more than fulfilled his contractual obligations (well, he still has a few games to play, but I think you get my point), so if he wants to walk, if he really wants the real shot at the Cup... I will be sad, but I will also remember all the good things he did for this team.

Solid logic :laugh:
Ma'am I barely know you but your intelligence is obvious. You'll be a welcome addition to these parts. I'm generally hated by some because I pull no punches and I expect people to use their intellect, no shortcuts allowed. You however will have no trouble doing that. I look forward to learning from your insights. There's a blue jacket fan Viqsi who is also a woman of high intelligence you may enjoy on the main board as well. If you don't mind I'll let her know of your arrival.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I wasn't talking about complexity of a contract per se, just the complexity of the things signing (or not) the contract will cause. The money, the Cup, the fanbase, the expectations, the GM, the arena (or arenas), it's all a big commitment. If he needs his sweet time making the decision, that's his right. It's not like there's an obligation to resign the contract on the first day it's legaly possible for them.
I have zero issues with JT taking any time he needs, and considering anything that he personally feels worthy of consideration. All I was arguing against was using his standard-type remarks to downplay the possibility of him leaving, as other people argued that that possibility alone makes it the reasonable decision to trade him, if he isn't ready to make a positive and unconditional decision for the Islanders before the deadline. I don't think JT is doing anything remotely wrong.

If someone sat me down at a table and said: "Here's 70 million dollars, but your life for the next 8 years will look like that..." I would take every single moment I would possibly could to revise and think through and then overthink the decision a few times. It's entirely possible that he really really wants to be an Islander for life, but he also really really wants to win a Cup and let's face it, it doesn't look very likely at the moment.
Completely agreed, nothing I argued against or would attempt to.

So if he needs time to decide what he wants more in this scenario... Sure, it's not good for the team. But what it comes down to is do we want a chance to resign Tavares or have another 1st round pick, I say go with the first option.
That seems like an artificial selection of options, though. If he does consider LI a possibility for his next contract - and again, I really don't doubt that it is still a possibility for him - why would that go away if management tells him that they respect him not being able to commit his next 7/8 years of his family's life, but they hope he respects their duty to look out for the franchise, trade him now, maybe even consider some preferences without being contractually obliged to, and reconvene about his long term future at the end of June? That seems reasonable to me. I don't think the "career-Islander" label is a real thing that would have him rule out the Islanders just because of a trade now.

The fact is, people right now are behaving like he went on national television and said he's not resigning with Islanders and Snow isn't doing anything about it. And yeah, sure, he wouldn't do exactly that, but also his answers have been more than standard athlete non-committal speech about teams and unity and letting the agents do their thing.

And no, I wasn't talking about you, but about my general impression after reading a lot of Tavares' related posts and comments. Because if I had to form an opinion only on the base of that I would say he's really overpaid on his current contract. He's too slow, he doesn't do this, he doesn't do that, he's not a team player, he's a bad captain, he doesn't smile the right way, he doesn't have what it takes to be the face of a franchise and so on.

While I understand how the situation looks right now, do people really think he's THAT bad?
I agree with you on just about all that. There's certainly a ton of exaggeration and dramatization happening. That's the norm with big names like his, though. I tend to tune that out. I understand if that's a lot tougher for you in this situation right now. :cheers:

The difference is this summer he got engaged and his future wife has a medical practice and has been actively speaking with hospital's. He's considerate of her needs as any husband should be why tie her hands when he has time to let things play out and evaluate fully for all concerned?

In the end, this only emphasizes my point or rather the point I was arguing for: I don't blame him for not tying her hands, or any other consideration. It's his right, and it's entirely understandable on a personal level, as well. But from the Isles' POV, it's a wide open outcome. They have little to rely on. The decision to trade / not trade him is going to have a massive impact for the organization, so if there's anything less than a positive answer from JT on his future with the team, be understanding to him and his need for more time, but meanwhile make the decisions that sets up your club in a better way. The door for JT to LI can remain entirely open in July, if he then feels able to commit. If his wife is still looking, he's not even going to have to leave her for the time being (although flights to interviews will become a bit of a drag, tbf). That decision shouldn't be something that sours him on a long term future there, if he is serious about it now.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That fair. But I believe in occams razor. That the simplest explanation is often the correct one. And that people generally act consistent to their true nature.

John has been loyal his entire life. I do not see him as being deliberately duplicitous. If he's doing the let's get all the offers route as you suggest, John's told that to Garth Snow of that I have no doubt

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just don't understand why he'd walk from the Islanders, and then sign with the Habs.

Tavares: I want to play for a team that's doing everything it can to win

Adding Tavares to Montreal, doesn't make them a team poised to win, IMO.

Tavares with the Habs core >> Tavares with the Islanders core: Habs are deep on wing and in net while we have a better D vs the Islanders. Adding Tavares up the middle is a game changer for our line-up. Not saying he will sign with us for sure but we will meet with him if he becomes UFA.

Habs:
- Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Lehkonen, Danault, Petry, Mete, Lindgren, Hudon, Juulsen, Scherbak, Poehling
- 2018 Pending UFA's: Pleky, Hemsky, Jerabek, Niemi
- 2018 Key Pending RFA's: Danault

Islanders: Barzal, Leddy, Eberle, Ladd, Lee, Boychuk, Nelson, Clutterbuck, Greiss, Beauvillier, Pulock, Aho, Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle
- 2018 Pending UFA's: Tavares, Bailey, De Haan, Hickey, Seidenberg, Halak, Chimera, Kulemin
- 2018 Key Pending RFA's: Nelson, Puluck

Habs with Tavares... Not trying to offend you but he fits. Only RFA and contract the Habs need to worry about is Danault.

Patch / Tavares / Gallagher
Galchenyuk / Drouin / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Danault / Shaw
Deslaurier / DLR / Byron

Hudon, McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Schlemko / Benn

Juulsen, Morrow

Price
Lindgren

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That fair. But I believe in occams razor. That the simplest explanation is often the correct one. And that people generally act consistent to their true nature.

John has been loyal his entire life. I do not see him as being deliberately duplicitous. If he's doing the let's get all the offers route as you suggest, John's told that to Garth Snow of that I have no doubt

I hope he signs with the Islanders compared to being UFA and potentially signing with a team not named the Habs. If I was an Islanders fan, I would be extremely nervous and my reasons is the work Snow has to do with all those RFA/UFA's he needs to re-sign as well as finding a top goalie.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I have zero issues with JT taking any time he needs, and considering anything that he personally feels worthy of consideration. All I was arguing against was using his standard-type remarks to downplay the possibility of him leaving, as other people argued that that possibility alone makes it the reasonable decision to trade him, if he isn't ready to make a positive and unconditional decision for the Islanders before the deadline. I don't think JT is doing anything remotely wrong.

Completely agreed, nothing I argued against or would attempt to.

That seems like an artificial selection of options, though. If he does consider LI a possibility for his next contract - and again, I really don't doubt that it is still a possibility for him - why would that go away if management tells him that they respect him not being able to commit his next 7/8 years of his family's life, but they hope he respects their duty to look out for the franchise, trade him now, maybe even consider some preferences without being contractually obliged to, and reconvene about his long term future at the end of June? That seems reasonable to me. I don't think the "career-Islander" label is a real thing that would have him rule out the Islanders just because of a trade now.

I agree with you on just about all that. There's certainly a ton of exaggeration and dramatization happening. That's the norm with big names like his, though. I tend to tune that out. I understand if that's a lot tougher for you in this situation right now. :cheers:

In the end, this only emphasizes my point or rather the point I was arguing for: I don't blame him for not tying her hands, or any other consideration. It's his right, and it's entirely understandable on a personal level, as well. But from the Isles' POV, it's a wide open outcome. They have little to rely on. The decision to trade / not trade him is going to have a massive impact for the organization, so if there's anything less than a positive answer from JT on his future with the team, be understanding to him and his need for more time, but meanwhile make the decisions that sets up your club in a better way. The door for JT to LI can remain entirely open in July, if he then feels able to commit. If his wife is still looking, he's not even going to have to leave her for the time being (although flights to interviews will become a bit of a drag, tbf). That decision shouldn't be something that sours him on a long term future there, if he is serious about it now.
All true and fair. I just believe that character shines through. I think Garth Snow is aware of everything and is willing to trust that the John he knows will remain true to his character

Reactions: PWJunior

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
All true and fair. I just believe that character shines through. I think Garth Snow is aware of everything and is willing to trust that the John he knows will remain true to his character

For Isles fans' sake I hope Snow really is aware of everything. As a neutral fan, who's favourite team has virtually no chance of even making it into any hypothetical sweepstakes, I would hate to see JT being scolded for his public statements, while he was being more open about his future in talks with Snow, who just bet on him staying in the end and not having to disappoint fans by trading him and being measured by the return.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
For Isles fans' sake I hope Snow really is aware of everything. As a neutral fan, who's favourite team has virtually no chance of even making it into any hypothetical sweepstakes, I would hate to see JT being scolded for his public statements, while he was being more open about his future in talks with Snow, who just bet on him staying in the end and not having to disappoint fans by trading him and being measured by the return.
I Just dont see a guy being Loyal to a fault since before he was drafted, Being Honest and forthcoming Entire adult life, suddenly becoming duplicitous. I believe John has talked to Garth honestly and Garth even if John has decided he wants to consider his options has decided his best course is to trust in John's loyalty to "HIS" team based on his off stated desire to be a complete one franchise leader

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Tavares with the Habs core >> Tavares with the Islanders core: Habs are deep on wing and in net while we have a better D vs the Islanders. Adding Tavares up the middle is a game changer for our line-up. Not saying he will sign with us for sure but we will meet with him if he becomes UFA.

Habs:
- Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Lehkonen, Danault, Petry, Mete, Lindgren, Hudon, Juulsen, Scherbak, Poehling

Islanders: Barzal, Leddy, Eberle, Ladd, Lee, Boychuk, Nelson, Clutterbuck, Greiss, Beauvillier, Pulock, Aho, Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle
- 2018 Pending UFA's: Tavares, Bailey, De Haan, Hickey, Seidenberg, Halak, Chimera, Kulemin

Habs with Tavares... Not trying to offend you but he fits. Only RFA and contract the Habs need to worry about is Danault.

Deslaurier / DLR / Byron

Hudon, McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Schlemko / Benn

Juulsen, Morrow

Price
Lindgren

Tavares with blues core >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Montreal core. :)

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Ma'am I barely know you but your intelligence is obvious. You'll be a welcome addition to these parts. I'm generally hated by some because I pull no punches and I expect people to use their intellect, no shortcuts allowed. You however will have no trouble doing that. I look forward to learning from your insights. There's a blue jacket fan Viqsi who is also a woman of high intelligence you may enjoy on the main board as well. If you don't mind I'll let her know of your arrival.

Oh thank you, that's so nice of you to say. I don't mind at all.

Well, I agree with almost everything you said, but would he really come back to a team that traded him a few months earlier? Because I don't see that happening. Like I said, the Isles have two advantages over other teams - the extra year they can offer him and, yes, the "career-Islander" label, because it does come with some prestige and he did talked about it more than once, I think.

And would it rule out Islanders in July? That's a big maybe. I will repeat that what Tavares said since the begining of the whole contract drama was way more committal than other athletes in similar situations said before. Also we have very limited informations and can't know what was unofficially said between Tavares' team and Isles office. But consider the situation - Isles trade him somewhere he maybe-kinda does not hate to go, he has fun in playoffs, gets to know a new team that has better chances to win a Stanley Cup, gets to know a new city and then the season ends. Come July 1st, what is Islanders' selling point? Would they somehow get considerably better as a team? Would they have a ready arena, get a better coach or a better GM?

Someone quite a while ago and maybe even not here has said that in the event of a trade even a few months of exclusive negotiation with Tavares are worth a lot. And here are Isles fans that would rather have another pick in the draft than that. I just can't see the point of trading him right now.

But let's say there was a trade. And in the case of Islanders making the playoffs (as unprobable as it is without Tavares there) I would really want to see the collective panic if somehow he would be playing against his own team :laugh:

Oh my... And why would it be a lot tougher for me? :laugh:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

Habs:

Deslaurier / DLR / Byron

Hudon, McCarron

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Schlemko / Benn

Juulsen, Morrow

Price
Lindgren

I prefer the NYI core to be honest.

They could get Dell or Ranta this offseason.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

AFAIK, his fiance is a physical therapist. I don't think she has a medical practice. Of course he will take her needs into account, but she would have no problem with employment anywhere. Between team owners, sponsors, and medical staff, every sports team has plum connections to the medical community. A well placed phone call easily gets the wife of the star player in the door.

That said, his income will be like 100 times greater than hers. I think that might factor in their decision.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I prefer the NYI core to be honest.

They could get Dell or Ranta this offseason.

Dell / Ranta = Halak. They need a bigger fish and the problems are not just in net. I prefer the Habs core as we are very strong on wing and in net while we have a defense that is solid but needs improvements. Adding Tavares in the Habs line-up is a game changer. If the Islanders re-sign (Tavares, Bailey, Nelson, De Haan, Hickey, Pulock), they don't have any cap space to go after a goalie. They would be up against the cap and have to re-sign Eberle, Lee, Beauviller the following year (Barzal the year after). They would be a up against the cap team for several years and no better situation than they are today. This is Tavares's problem and the reason why he has not resigned.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, I agree with almost everything you said, but would he really come back to a team that traded him a few months earlier? Because I don't see that happening. Like I said, the Isles have two advantages over other teams - the extra year they can offer him and, yes, the "career-Islander" label, because it does come with some prestige and he did talked about it more than once, I think.

And would it rule out Islanders in July? That's a big maybe. I will repeat that what Tavares said since the begining of the whole contract drama was way more committal than other athletes in similar situations said before. Also we have very limited informations and can't know what was unofficially said between Tavares' team and Isles office. But consider the situation - Isles trade him somewhere he maybe-kinda does not hate to go, he has fun in playoffs, gets to know a new team that has better chances to win a Stanley Cup, gets to know a new city and then the season ends. Come July 1st, what is Islanders' selling point? Would they somehow get considerably better as a team? Would they have a ready arena, get a better coach or a better GM
I think the Islanders would have the same selling points they have now - he knows the organization, he knows the area, he knows - apparently - that it's a place where he can imagine spending the rest of his career. I can't imagine him not being able to envision other places having appeal, as well, particularly in regards to being competetive for the cup, so I don't think any rental campaign would be an eye-opening experience. Depending on how he settles into life beyond the rink in that place, it might well embolden his long-term preference for Long Island.

But let's say there was a trade. And in the case of Islanders making the playoffs (as unprobable as it is without Tavares there) I would really want to see the collective panic if somehow he would be playing against his own team :laugh:
Yeah, that would obviously be awkward. :laugh:

Oh my... And why would it be a lot tougher for me? :laugh:
I got the impression you were an Isles fan - as such, I'd imagine these discussions around JT would be rather omni-present in your hockey-experience, these days. And those dramatizations and mischaracterizations get especially old through repetition, in my experience. :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, I'm like, Barzal ALONE makes the Isles core more attractive. The Habs core post-Subban is, um, underwhelming.

Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Mete is a solid core. The potential for the Habs to be a top 10 defense in the league is very good and Drouin and Galchenyuk are still maturing in their early 20's.

Current players under contract or RFA control...

- Price >>> Greiss

- Drouin < Barzal

- Patch = Eberle

- Weber = Leddy

- Petry > Boychuck

- Mete = Pulock

- Danault = Nelson

- Gallagher > Ladd

- Lehkonen = Beauvillier

- Galchenyuk = Lee

Habs core is also younger vs the Islanders!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad